The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do you guys run your pedals into a mix?
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear
How do you guys run your pedals into a mix?

So I have some nice pedals on my board for guitar. I am using the Joe Meek 3q as my pre, and it has an insert in it. So do you just run the pedal into the insert and then get the latency and mix like that? I am still figuring it out with Cubase SX3. I guess you take a line out and then send it back in thorugh the insert? And coud I use guitar cables?

Also, anyone ever use their pedals for effects? I was thinking of using my big muff to mult bass for the dirty track. And then the memory man for anything cool I can think of...also the dynacomp..what does this sound good on besides guitars? I figure I have all these pedals, I may as well use them for other things besides just guitars.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
So I have some nice pedals on my board for guitar. I am using the Joe Meek 3q as my pre, and it has an insert in it. So do you just run the pedal into the insert and then get the latency and mix like that? I am still figuring it out with Cubase SX3. I guess you take a line out and then send it back in thorugh the insert? And coud I use guitar cables?

Also, anyone ever use their pedals for effects? I was thinking of using my big muff to mult bass for the dirty track. And then the memory man for anything cool I can think of...also the dynacomp..what does this sound good on besides guitars? I figure I have all these pedals, I may as well use them for other things besides just guitars.
Inserts usually send and receive the signal using a single insert cable. The insert cable has a TRS plug on one end (plugged into your insert) and 2 TS plugs on the other, with one sending the signal and the other receiving, which would plug into the appropriate inputs and outputs of your effects.
---
c
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Actually, looking at your post again, you say mixing, but do you mean during tracking? Guessing you did mean mix as stated... just want to make sure. Sorry, if you already understand the insert concept (as from my previous post).

What interface are you using and how is it hooked up to the 3Q?
---
c
Old 22nd January 2007
Here for the gear

It is certainly possible to do, however I would assume results would be so-so.

You could run into trouble with ground hum if you have a balanced patchbay and you are inserting with the unbalanced guitar cable..but really what I would be concerned about is the noise level of the pedal.

I messed around one day randomly by putting a vocal track through a digital delay (Boss DD-6) and there was a lot of hiss in the track. Didn't sound good.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear
K yeah...this would be during mixing. I basically want to use the pedals as outboard gear.

I hear that maybe I will need to use a reamp box.....?
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
K yeah...this would be during mixing. I basically want to use the pedals as outboard gear.

I hear that maybe I will need to use a reamp box.....?
How could you live without one?
Seriously... Two pieces of equipment have been very useful, including for the purpose you want above.
A Radial JDI and a Radial X-Amp.
Interesting article in this past month's Sound on Sound on using pedals for effects on vocals, etc.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Head

I would start analog summing. Buss out your tracks in cubase to a mixing console. Then you have the glory of using plug-ins and out board gear like your stomp boxes. Not to mention, your mixes will sound less sterile going through analog circuitry.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

impedence matching and gain staging are important...but every once in a while you get lucky. over christmas at my parents with nothing but an old casette four track to record into and nothing but a dd-3 for fx i got a vocal sound that i will try--but no doubt fail--to recreate with my lexicon, blah blah blah.

definitely get a reamp or similar piece. but also try anything, you never know.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

I use an analog console, have rack mounted some of my pedals, have them in the patchbay and use a Focusrite Tonefactory as a reamping box (it has a -20dbu output and works great).
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

hey, meth: how do you have your 3q connected to your soundcard? fwiw, i'd set it up as an "external effect" in cubase. then, you could run your pedals through the inserts and use the comp/eq too. you'd still have to deal with impedance / gain staging, though. good luck!
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

Hey,

So I've done this where I just use the Pedal on a Mixer Send and re-record. Is this a bad idea?
I'm talking about wher you are using Guitar pedals on non-guitar parts
For instance to add some Guitar pedal effects to, say an already recorded synthesizer or vocal part in my DAW.

Obviously the signal I"m sending is not what the pedal was built to take but does it matter that much?

should i be doing:

Soundcard out/Mixer Send ->ReAmp Box -> Guitar Pedal -> Pre-Amp -> Mixer/Soundcardinput
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

Amping Non Guitar parts?

Oh another thing. Lately I've been Running DAW tracks (Synthesizer or similar) Out of the DAW to an old Guitar Amp I have laying around. (Roland Jazz Chorus).
Then Micing up the Guitar Amp with a Shure SM-58 and recording that to replace the "Clean" DAW track

I usually run the DAW part to a Mixer Channel and use a Mixer FX Send to control the level at the Guitar Amp.

I suppose this is is one of those situations where i shoudl actually use a ReAmp box to set the right levle for the Guitar Amp input?
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasxpop View Post
Oh another thing. Lately I've been Running DAW tracks (Synthesizer or similar) Out of the DAW to an old Guitar Amp I have laying around. (Roland Jazz Chorus).
Then Micing up the Guitar Amp with a Shure SM-58 and recording that to replace the "Clean" DAW track

I usually run the DAW part to a Mixer Channel and use a Mixer FX Send to control the level at the Guitar Amp.

I suppose this is is one of those situations where i shoudl actually use a ReAmp box to set the right levle for the Guitar Amp input?

You have just described reamping. You do not necessarily need a reamp device. I use the X-Amp for other purposes. I'll sometimes use an external reverb/effects device (like a Kurzweil KSP8) or computer generated guitar effects. When I run from my firewire audio interface, the sound is much better through the X-Amp.
I noticed I was getting a lot of noise during a recent setup I was doing to one of my amps. The X-Amp allows you to ground your output, run to two amps at one time, and control volume. It is indispensable IMO.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyshay View Post
You have just described reamping. You do not necessarily need a reamp device. I use the X-Amp for other purposes. I'll sometimes use an external reverb/effects device (like a Kurzweil KSP8) or computer generated guitar effects. When I run from my firewire audio interface, the sound is much better through the X-Amp.
I noticed I was getting a lot of noise during a recent setup I was doing to one of my amps. The X-Amp allows you to ground your output, run to two amps at one time, and control volume. It is indispensable IMO.
I didn't explain this. I was getting a lot of noise (kind of digitalish background noise when turning up my amp). I realized that my X-Amp was not powered. I plugged it in--the noise was totally gone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search