The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PM1000 console trick....
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

PM1000 console trick....

Hi everybody--

ignore this if it is common knowledge.....

I have been using a pm1000 for the mic pres for the last 3 years. I especially love them on guitar, drums and occasionally bass.

I have found that the pre's are not very good for me on vox....the distortion that makes guitars rip and drums pop has the tendency to make the vocals sound thin and over compressed....

One of my other frustrations has been that the board has 4 master outputs (no direct outs) and two echo outputs. I have been restricted to using 6 channels at a time during tracking.

I recently stumbled on a solution that is working really well for me! that I want to share.

I am running 6 channels as usual, except I am taking the signal from the 1st 4 channels from the master bus insert outputs......

Then I run 4 mics into the playback inputs that are located on the back of the mixer and set the master channel fader input to PB input instead of bus input.

The signal from these 4 goes to the master outputs.

THESE SIGNALS sound awesome....they are very clean, open and detailed....very good for overheads and vox....a lot different from the channel mic preamps.

I am psyched...I now have 10 channels from the mixer (4 without eq) and two flavors of mic pre.

now for extra credit.....I have found the quality of the talkback mic output to be really high quality as well.....then you always have the option to run a channel out of the cue bus into the headphone output.....

Basically you can have 12 mic pre outputs from a stock PM1000 --- 7 with eq and 5 without.

good times....

Buddhaman

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search