The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
4 mic channel "desk" with good pres - Yamaha Mg10/2? Soundcraft powerpad?
Old 22nd January 2007

4 mic channel "desk" with good pres - Yamaha Mg10/2? Soundcraft powerpad?

Both of these look like well spec'd 4-channel jobs --- Anyone tried either, or equivalent like Tapco or Behr*nger Xenyx?

I'm looking for a decent small form desk to record rehearsals and demos through, to augment my sorely-lacking mic pre complement of 4

I like the 2 x 30 watt amp built into the Soundcraft --- Pretty useful for monitoring.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Nut

I own the Yamaha MG4/12, and not bad for the price and what you wanna do (rehearsals). Demos, well depends on the quality you want.

Actually I use the MG4/12 for micing my drum kit and then go to our main mixer. We record our stuff on a tape deck for reference and Ideas.

You might wanna look at the Mackie stuff, just might have better pres, I dont know. But they do have a good reputation.
Old 22nd January 2007

Yeah we will be doing the same as you, except not to tape :-)

Well --- If the drums sound punchy, clear and un-distorted, I'll be happy, so headroom and clarity with no phasiness are what I'm after.

Are you hearing any of these negative aspects in your MG4/12?

Cheers
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Maniac

i posted a similar message a while back - the consensus was that the yamahas were probably the best bet for the cash. i ended up inheriting a big spirit desk from a pa business i used to be a partner in, so i never bought it.

how about one of the old yamaha or tascam 8-track cassette machines? or, if you have a multi-input soundcard, there's an 8-channel preamp made by studio projects with burr-brown op amps (=very good) that was also recommended.
Old 6th March 2013
[QUOTE=paulneedles;1089651]i posted a similar message a while back - the consensus was that the yamahas were probably the best bet for the cash. i ended up inheriting a big spirit desk from a pa business i used to be a partner in, so i never bought it.

I found the MG had a pretty high noise floor for quieter sources, may be fine for drums though

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search