The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
m-audio sputnik?
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Nut

thanks - off to ebay.....i go
Old 20th October 2012
Here for the gear

For the curious, below is a link to a recording of the sacred song "Come Holy Ghost" wherein the lead vocal mic is a Sputnik.

Preamp was a Metric Halo ULN-8. Added a bit of eq, compression and reverb (all using Metric Halo's offerings, with Haloverb as the reverb chosen).

For the curious, the acoustic guitar (both the regular part and the chimes) was recorded using a pair of M-Audio Pulsar II's in X/Y about two feet in front of the guitar, and the harmony vocal mic was a Rode NT1A modded by Michael Joly.

I'm posting this because I know that when I was considering the the Sputnik, I appreciated being able to hearing recordings others had done using the mic. So here's a small effort to "give back." Enjoy. (Sorry about having only a link below; I haven't been able to figure out how to embed from SoundCloud yet.)

Come Holy Ghost by Get jaggy wid it on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 20th October 2012
We sold the Sputnik for years before it was discontinued, but not often because every time someone compared the ADK TC to the Sputnik (which is about the same price) they always preferred the ADK TC. The ADK TC is really my all-around favorite vocal condenser in that price range. It was my lead singer's favorite mic on his voice for 7 years until he tried a Telefunken Elam 251e (which costs 20 times as much).

So if you can't find a Sputnik out there, fear not, there are other great choices in that price range worth trying out.
Old 20th October 2012
Here's a little shootout I did with the Sputnik and 3 other mics.

https://vimeo.com/19919137
Old 20th October 2012
Gear Addict

mic 2 was my favourite by far followed by mic 4 and then mic 3.

was the sputnik in this test modded or stock?
Old 20th October 2012
My fave is the NT2000. The Sputnik is stock.
Old 20th October 2012
Gear Addict

the rode sounded a little unmusical to my ears...i guess i'm not into the super clinical type of sound. the sputnik definitely wins in that department while it still could have it's super high mids/highs tamed to some degree.
Old 20th October 2012
I would say the 4050 is the most clinical, which is why many studios have them. it's great for an accurate representation of the source. I wanted to like the 5050 the most, but hearing the original files on my JBL LSR4328 monitors, the NT2000 became my go-to vocal mic. Previously I only used the Sputnik. The Sputnik has lots of character, and some tube sizzle. I like the warmth of the NT2000, which by the way is the same mic as the NT2a, only the NT2a's filters aren't variable. Just switches like the 4050.

Anyway, other than the 4033 (which was brighter than the others), the other 3 mics are VERY similar. More-so than I expected. So any one would be a fine mic to get. I have them all, so I'm good!
Old 5th December 2012
Gear Addict

Has the Sputnik been discontinued?
Old 5th December 2012
Gear Addict

yes
Old 5th December 2012
Well cool, I suddenly have a pair of rare, vintage mics!
Old 31st January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightclick View Post
Has the Sputnik been discontinued?
they just brought it back.
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
the just brought it back.
Huge news.

Where are they distributed? Can't buy direct from M-Audio, I guess?
Old 19th August 2013
Gear Addict

They announced it at Winter NAMM in January. I contacted my rep at M-Audio's distributor.

He informs me that the product being released will be the "M-Audio Sputnik Limited Edition Re-issue Tube Microphone". Now, we're not so sure how "limited" the limited edition part of it is. But, it's a noteworthy development, for sure!

We will have them shipping sometime in September. No information on how limited it will be or any specific changes.

I did update our product page with all of the current information. But the word is that it's the same microphone. Nothing has changed. And perhaps the best news of all is that they are now going to be $499! The last release was $899 each. So... it's sort of a no-brainer for anyone who always wanted a Sputnik.

The Pulsar is being re-released, as well, and are going to be $199 a pair.
Old 19th August 2013
499.? Wow! I have one already and will for sure add another when it becomeds available.

Do yourself a favore and try it on upright bass. It kills!

Thanks for the update!
Old 19th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
499.? Wow! I have one already and will for sure add another when it becomed available.

Do yourself a favore and try it on upright bass. It kills!

Thanks for the update!
You're welcome!
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

The Pulsar II mics actually sound pretty good especially for their price. I owned the matched pair some years ago. They were great on acoustic guitar and overheads. The only problem was build quality. After about a year of use they started hissing randomly. Sent in for repair and came back the same. Tried swapping out cables, pres, everything to narrow down the problem but it was definitely the mics. Ended up getting rid of them and bought some higher end SDCs. Wonder how the build quality is on the Sputnik. My Profire 2626s have been working great since the day they came out. I guess the Pulsars were just built crappy.
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Maniac

I picked a Sputnik up a couple weeks ago. So far it has been a very lovely mic. Sturdy build and actually suprisingly heavy. I've used it for rap vocals, and classical guitar. It has a really nice presence in either application. Very clear and real sounding. In fact the first time I heard it being played back I was walking down the hall back to the control room and it sounded to me like the rapper was actually standing in the room rapping. I would highly recommend this microphone. Did some wheeling and dealing and picked it up for $300 off a craigslist seller. I'm very happy with it especially for $300. I'd be happy with it for $800 honestly. Great mic!
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
We sold the Sputnik for years before it was discontinued, but not often because every time someone compared the ADK TC to the Sputnik (which is about the same price) they always preferred the ADK TC. The ADK TC is really my all-around favorite vocal condenser in that price range. It was my lead singer's favorite mic on his voice for 7 years until he tried a Telefunken Elam 251e (which costs 20 times as much).

So if you can't find a Sputnik out there, fear not, there are other great choices in that price range worth trying out.
Which ADK TC model? It's really confusing which ones are which!
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
Which ADK TC model? It's really confusing which ones are which!
Here's the deal with the ADK TC... It's not nearly as confusing as one might think.

ADK TC - base model. Asian made.

ADK Custom Shop TC - This is an upgraded American assembled TC. Premium capsules (they sound REALLY GOOD!) with your choice of 251, 12, 67, 47, and 49. You also get Accusound cabling.

It's the same deal with the ADK TT and the ADK Custom Shop TT. Just select your capsule, etc.

The basic idea as you move up the ladder to the Custom Shop CS is that you now get new premium US made circuitry and choice of premium transformer (Jensen, Lundahl, or Sowter). It's still in the same body as the Custom Shop TT. Now you have Accusound Quad Cabling

The Z-Mod adds a powdercoat finish (choose your color), chrome appointments, and a jewel box with several different valves. Accusound Silver Cabling throughout.

We work closely with Larry to help you get the right mic for your voice. And we (Front End Audio) can send you several bodies along with a full kit (PSU and cabling, etc) to make it easy for you and easy on the wallet when shipping back the other bodies once you have found the one that worked best for you.

They're really fantastic microphones that win the shootouts both we have and that our customers have.
Old 28th March 2014
Gear Head

Advice

Hey folks, I'm about to pull the trigger on a second hand Sputnik in great condition, and just would like to know if you folks reckon $300 is a good price?

I have the Luna and rather like it as well as a Rode NT1A, do you think a Sputnik will compliment these well?

I think the shockmounts with the Sputnik & Luna are the same too, so having 2 would probably be a good thing if something were to happen (read that the shockmounts may be a weak point)...

Thanks in advance
Old 28th March 2014
Three hundo is a great price for one of those. I got a similar price and spent the money I saved on ugrading the transformer which was super simple and cheap. I'd be happy with it even without the transformer mod.
Old 28th March 2014
The Sputnik is a great sounding mic! I love mine and I paid full price. But my shock mount did break, and I can't find another one.
Old 28th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfish View Post
The Sputnik is a great sounding mic! I love mine and I paid full price. But my shock mount did break, and I can't find another one.
So how do you use the mic now? This does concern me...
Old 28th March 2014
I can still attach the mic, but it's kind of sketchy. I like the mic a lot, and have never had any issues, but I use a Rode NT2000 most of the time. I don't always want a tubey sound in my recordings. Also, I haven't looked for a shock mount lately. I think the mic was out of production for a while, but now it's back by popular demand. I bet you can get a shock mount with a google search now.
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Head

What are your thoughts on the snap, crackle & pop while warming up and more...

So I managed to check out the mic before purchase today.

There was some crackling and popping going while the tube was warming up - is this usual or could it be that the tube is on the way out? The snap crackle and pop kinda scared me off the Sputnik for now, though I must say it seemed to sound great and quieted right down after it warmed up... The lead was also ducktaped up at the xlr attachment on the mic side, and the shiny silver was kind of greasy with lots of fingerprints...

So I offered $200, but the seller didn't accept.. Now I'm really in two minds about it, because it really sounded good - what do you folk think?

I must admit I have been going through a mild phase of GAS... With help from the slutz, over the last few months I have aquired more inputs on my Focusrite interface (2i2 to 18i6), 2 x external dual preamps (M-Audio DMP3 & FMR RNP), a bunch of mics including 2 x 57's, NT1a, M-Audio Luna, and a clutch of other dynamic mics as well as 1 or 2 guitars...

Over
Old 31st March 2014
On startup, mine will give an initial "pop" with the flip of the switch followed by a very slight grey static and a few crackles that sound like tapping your fingernail on a lightbulb. On shutdown I also hear the fingernail/lightbulb crackle. Those do not alarm me in the least. The duct tape on the connector might be a bad sign, but maybe easily repairable. If you are good with a soldering gun you could cut the cable back and re-solder the end back on.
Old 31st March 2014
I would be wondering what needs to be repaired that the guy taped up. What price was he asking?
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Head

For clarity sake the duct tape was on the connector on the lead, not the mic.

He was asking $300
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear
I’ve never used the Sputnik and thought it had been discontinued for a few years now. However, it’s now offered again at musiciansfriend.com as one of their blowout/deep discounted mics….$499…..My sense is when that mic hit the market it was probably among the best tube mics in its price point…I don’t think that’s probably the case anymore, but at $499 it may well be worth the price of entry…

CJ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search