The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Squashing a song time for commerical use
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Squashing a song time for commerical use

Hey guys I just finished doing a commercial and the client is not happy with the endings. They think they are too abrubt, but to fit it into 1min and 30 sec commercials I had to fade it where I did.

What software do you guys use to speed up the time of songs? I just need to shave off less than a second.

BTW im using PT7. Thanks guys!
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

i'm not familiar with pt, but you can do this pretty easily in ableton or acid. just take the rendered file, drop it into the program and change the bpm of the file until it's as long as you need it. the time stretch function in sound forge should be able to do the same thing.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRigaletto View Post
Hey guys I just finished doing a commercial and the client is not happy with the endings. They think they are too abrubt, but to fit it into 1min and 30 sec commercials I had to fade it where I did.

What software do you guys use to speed up the time of songs? I just need to shave off less than a second.

BTW im using PT7. Thanks guys!
Just use the time compresison/trim tool.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Go to your audiosuite menu. Use the time compression/expansion plugin. Simply turn the ratio up.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

you can use melodyne for this too...
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Head

i've been there ,and for my experience ,this is not always is just a question of time compressing ,but more of an arrangement thing in the first place.
maybe adding/substracting something to create a kind of 'ending call' in the track will help ,it will definitely make it tighter ,then you could do as much time compressing/expanding as you like to fit it.
i hope this is of any help,
good luck,

d.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

a) You can rent the X-Form Plugin for 2 days from digi
b) did you try the trimmer in timestretch mode ?
c) speed from soundtoys ?

Sometimes, I had better luck with "cheap" algorhythms than with very expensive ones !
The Timestretching in Logic also works well, maybe you have a buddy to send it over.
If you like, you can also send it to me, I could offer: PT 7.3 TDM, Logic, Melodyne and Speed !

Should be a quick job !

good luck
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Cut a measure, or more from a portion of the song. Commercial music almost always sounds better when it has a solid open and close and is not time compressed.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

This isn't a case were the arrangement is flawed. It's just a matter of less than a half second for fade sake.

But thanks for the software ideas!
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

If fidelty is important Waves Soundshifter or Digi X-form are great tools for time compression/expansion...

Though for a radio/tv commercial and with this small amount of stretching I would just stick with the build in TCE tool...
Old 24th January 2007
fade out earlier?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search