The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos
Old 29th November 2016
Gear Maniac

I like my 3U's very much and use them all the time. Here are some finished songs with 3U mics on lead voc.

(GZ251fet)
http://p000329995.pwhost.de/sillypra...dun-bhutia.mp3
http://p000329995.pwhost.de/sillypra...gor-holzer.mp3

(Warbler I through an overdriven Dizengoff D4 preamp)
http://p000329995.pwhost.de/sillypra...o/lee-swan.mp3

Enjoy
Old 4th January 2017
Gear Head

New hip hop song using a Warbler MKVI. Choruses on voice 1 and verses on voice 3

https://soundcloud.com/clivebunker/t...-djjpdirtyriva
Old 8th January 2017
Gear Head

Here is a VO sample from the GZ800fet.
I'm french, so thank you to be indulgent about my english accent...
(text in english until 1:38 and then text in french)

In fact, I had to test the mic more and more, and now I can tell it rocks for me !! But I think it's better for singing, rather than VO, because my voice is naturally charged near 400 Hz...

My audio chain is : GZ800 => Vovox Link S500 cable => Audient Mico (spdif out) => RME Digiface (Spdif In). Master WordClock come from a Mytek Stereo96 ADC.
I use a pop-filter.

Soon, I'll post some song sample with music...

Last edited by 73mk2; 9th January 2017 at 02:47 PM..
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73mk2 View Post
Here is a VO sample from the GZ800fet.
Sounds good to me! A bit light in the bass, but not to much. I could imagine it works well for rapping.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreamdjs View Post
New hip hop song using a Warbler MKVI. Choruses on voice 1 and verses on voice 3

https://soundcloud.com/clivebunker/t...-djjpdirtyriva
I like that song! And the Warbler works well there.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
I like that song! And the Warbler works well there.

Thanks for the listen. I'm glad you were feeling it! With this said, I honestly feel like the Warbler MKVI was a great buy. I can pretty much make it work decently on any voice with a bit of mixing!
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Head

Here's my other GZ800fet tests / comparison for a french song (sample) I'm mixing with my personal voice :

1-GZ800fet untreated voice alone :

2-TLM193 untreated voice alone :

3-GZ800fet treated in the mix (unmastered) :

4-TLM193 treated in the mix (unmastered) :

My opinion is changing about this amazing mic !.. First impressions were negatives, but now...

With more time, I would have make an automation (like in the TLM193 version) and I could insert a de-esser on the GZ800 voice track to attenuate the sibilances, but what I love the more in this mic is its articulation and the sound of my breath throat during the song.

Last edited by 73mk2; 9th January 2017 at 05:42 PM..
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear
The GZ800 is smoother on your voice. The TLM193 is a tad more sibilant. Both good mics!
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Nice voice.

Could you do something in your lower register (while getting more intimate with the mics)?
Sort of like VO, but singing rather than speaking.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

So there's a new 3u audio mic? The GZ800?
There's nothing about it on their website.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Nice voice.

Could you do something in your lower register (while getting more intimate with the mics)?
Sort of like VO, but singing rather than speaking.
Well, I was already very closed from the pop filter, near 4 inches (10 cm) from the mic...
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I was already very closed from the pop filter, near 4 inches (10 cm) from the mic...
OK, good to know. You didn't hold back there and the mic didn't protest.

But what I meant is try something in your lower register. You obviously know how to to hit the higher notes, but I think there's some real money in your lower voice.
Old 13th January 2017
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:

But what I meant is try something in your lower register. You obviously know how to to hit the higher notes, but I think there's some real money in your lower voice.
Do you want some heavy breathing as well? Maybe a spot of sentual words?
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6ccb844 View Post
Do you want some heavy breathing as well? Maybe a spot of sentual words?
LOL No just some singing that's not necessarily an octave or more above the speaking voice.
1. To hear how the mic translates that.
2. Because he may have something (extra) special there, especially in his own language.
3. Because I'm an old fart who still believes that you don't have to go near the upper limits per se to add urge or emotion to your singing.

Last edited by legato; 13th January 2017 at 10:09 PM..
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:

I think you're absolutly right !
I'll test it in this way... IMO, the higher notes force my voice to bring out the low mid. If I sang more suited songs to my vocal registry, I think I'd get better results on the low end...
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
3. Because I'm an old fart who still believes that you don't have to go near the upper limits per se to add urge or emotion to your singing.

I also think that we set too fast limits on his own ability to sing. It is above all a matter of confidence, because most of singers tend to fear high notes. I like singing high, not to make style or create more emotion, but because I like it, and I also know it is possible ... and tastes and colors do not argue, no ?!
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Well, I think you can do it all.

Just curious about the other side(s).
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Well, I think you can do it all.

Just curious about the other side(s).
Thank you for these encouragement!
Ok I'll try that later... Curious too !
Old 14th January 2017
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
LOL No just some singing that's not necessarily an octave or more above the speaking voice.
1. To hear how the mic translates that.
2. Because he may have something (extra) special there, especially in his own language.

Lol, of course I was joking.. ;D
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Head

CM-1 Teal as Drum Overheads

I just received a matched pair of CM-1 Teal mics, and made a few recordings of them as drum overheads. The files can be heard here:

CM1Samples
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Head

CM-1 Teal Matched Pair on Guild 12 String Acoustic Guitar

I've just posted some demos using the CM-1 Teal matched pair in different configurations on a Guild 12 string acoustic guitar. The guitar is rather bright, with a solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, bone nut and saddle, and D'Addario coated phospher bronze light gauge strings.

The files can be heard here:

CM1_12Strg_Demos
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Has anybody tried the GZ67 tube version ?? Curious about it too...
Well, today i'm hesitating between 3 mics, after I tried the GZ800fet (good impressions with it, but a little worried with the low end and the 400 Hz on my voice), and I don't really know which will match with my voice type :
1- GZ67fet
2- GZ67 (tube)
3- GZ800 (tube)

Any suggestions ?
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenleaf View Post
I just received a matched pair of CM-1 Teal mics, and made a few recordings of them as drum overheads. The files can be heard here:

CM1Samples

Quote:
I've just posted some demos using the CM-1 Teal matched pair in different configurations on a Guild 12 string acoustic guitar. The guitar is rather bright, with a solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, bone nut and saddle, and D'Addario coated phospher bronze light gauge strings.

CM1_12Strg_Demos
Great demos. Pretty amazing mic for the price! I am going to try the over the shoulder and neck joint placements for my acoustic guitar next time I record, it sounds really nice.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Has anybody tried the GZ67 tube version ?? Curious about it too...
Well, today i'm hesitating between 3 mics, after I tried the GZ800fet (good impressions with it, but a little worried with the low end and the 400 Hz on my voice), and I don't really know which will match with my voice type :
1- GZ67fet
2- GZ67 (tube)
3- GZ800 (tube)

Any suggestions ?

There is only one person that I've read on here that has the GZ67 tube version. I think there is a sound clip or YouTube video, search the two 3U Audio threads, it's here somewhere.

Here are some comments from forum members about the GZ67fet.

Quote:
Falls in somewhere between a U67 and a 70's U87...M269 comes to mind. GZ67fet continues to impress, used it today on a female gospel singer and it really delivered the character of her alto voice..."smoooove"!

NOTE: The M269 is a broadcast version of the U67, powered by an AC701 tube. They are prized for their airy top end. Same capsule as the 67. Same body and grille as a U87 and U67, IIRC.

The GZ67 is kind of it's own animal. I believe it's tailored after the M269. Anyway, it's got a little more air up top than the MKID and it's got less of a prominent low mid kinda bump. It also has a touch more detail in general, transient wise than the MKID. When I do drums, I use the GZ67's for OH. The GZ67's are tighter in the bottom end and offer great detail on OH. They're kind of a velvety sounding mic to me. On guitars I always use the GZ67, acoustic or electric. My favorite on acoustic is a GZ67 in front of the neck body joint and a Teal CM-1 over my right shoulder. Best acoustic sounds I've ever gotten.
Old 16th January 2017
If someone finds the gz67 tube demo be sure to link it. I've searched everywhere with no results
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
If someone finds the gz67 tube demo be sure to link it. I've searched everywhere with no results
Yep ! Me tooooo... No result !!!
Old 16th January 2017
Quote:
Yep ! Me tooooo... No result !!!
I'm still very interested in the gz800 tube as well. Wonder if anyone is gonna buy it
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

CM-1 demos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
Great demos. Pretty amazing mic for the price! I am going to try the over the shoulder and neck joint placements for my acoustic guitar next time I record, it sounds really nice.
Thanks Dragonfly! That's the first time I tried that configuration. I think I read about in a post by one of the other members here.

I'm going to be posting some demos of the mics on an all solid mahogany 6 string, using the same configurations, soon.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

CM-1 Teal Matched Pair on Mahogany 6 String Acoustic Guitar

I just posted some demos of the CM-1 Teal pair in various stereo configurations on a mahogany top, back and sides solid wood 6 string acoustic guitar.

CM1_6Strg_Demos
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I just posted some demos of the CM-1 Teal pair in various stereo configurations on a mahogany top, back and sides solid wood 6 string acoustic guitar.

CM1_6Strg_Demos
Very nice sound !! Incredible mics at that price !!..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search