The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos Condenser Microphones
Old 29th January 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Gotcha. That will be great. We haven't heard much out of the 3U SDC's.
FWIW: Just heard back from Guosheng that GZ74 is out of stock now.
Old 29th January 2016
Lives for gear

is anyone noticing something different about the GZ251fet? it sounds slightly more narrow but really punchy in a good way?
Old 30th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
All microphones were in cardio pattern, no pad, and the filter switch was on. The capsules were as close together as possible and at the same height and depth. I set the gain on the mics to be equal on the way in. The GZ67fet and GZ47fet V were at the same gain setting while the MKIV D needed to be set a little higher. All three mics recorded the same take.

The mics were pointed at the 12th fret. The guitar was about 25" away from the mics. I did some strumming and fingerstyle. The guitar is a Taylor GC 12fret all Koa with Martin Retro (monel) strings (12s). An Ultex .73mm pick was used on the strumming samples. My finger nails and pads were used on the fingerstyle samples.

While there seemed to be a clear difference in these mics when tracking vocals, I've listened to these samples and it is hard to tell the difference between them. So much so I went back in exported the samples again to make sure I hadn't just exported the same thing over and over again.

The samples are uncompress aif files.

Warbler MKIV D (voice 1)
Fingerstyle
Strumming

GZ67fet
Fingerstyle
Strumming

GZ47fet V
Fingerstyle
Strumming
The differences between the mics are definitely more pronounced on your vocal clips than on your guitar clips. I think that might have to do with the guitar, it sounds like it hasnt opened up yet or a little overly jangly; seems to be a little more pronounced on one side of the frequency "spectrum". That might be a trait of an all koa acoustic though, i dont know I havent played or recorded one. Try moving the mic down from the 12th fret towards where the neck meets the body, and play with it there maybe more soundhole then neck or the other way around. I would also suggest maybe bringing the mics closer to the guitar like half of what you got goin right now. That might help the guitar out and make the differences shine even more.

I know everyone on here shouts the mantra "treat your room" but just because a room is treated doesnt mean it sounds good or the room sound your mic is picking up in said treated room is good or flattering to what people want to do soundwise. So dont be shy to experiment with throwing up a blanket behind the mic stand or something...just play around with it and see what you like better.
The vocals i liked either the 47fet V which sounded a little more vintage and smokey or the 67fet which I think would sound real nice also; i really like her voice.

Side note Im not sure I like the reverb it seems to be doing something phasey and weird with the instruments and vocals.

Definitely looking forward to hearing those sdc's Im jealous!
Old 30th January 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquertheblock View Post
The differences between the mics are definitely more pronounced on your vocal clips than on your guitar clips. I think that might have to do with the guitar, it sounds like it hasnt opened up yet or a little overly jangly; seems to be a little more pronounced on one side of the frequency "spectrum". That might be a trait of an all koa acoustic though, i dont know I havent played or recorded one. Try moving the mic down from the 12th fret towards where the neck meets the body, and play with it there maybe more soundhole then neck or the other way around. I would also suggest maybe bringing the mics closer to the guitar like half of what you got goin right now. That might help the guitar out and make the differences shine even more.

I know everyone on here shouts the mantra "treat your room" but just because a room is treated doesnt mean it sounds good or the room sound your mic is picking up in said treated room is good or flattering to what people want to do soundwise. So dont be shy to experiment with throwing up a blanket behind the mic stand or something...just play around with it and see what you like better.

The vocals i liked either the 47fet V which sounded a little more vintage and smokey or the 67fet which I think would sound real nice also; i really like her voice.

Side note Im not sure I like the reverb it seems to be doing something phasey and weird with the instruments and vocals.

Definitely looking forward to hearing those sdc's Im jealous!
The guitar is a 12-fret so the 12th fret is where the neck meets the body. If I were not testing several mics at once I would not have been so far away from the mics. I need to test each mic separately with the closer mic positioning and forget about the single pass thing, since it doesn't seem very useful for acoustic guitar. The guitar sounded incredibly boomy which is why I put the filter on. I think mic'd closer it wouldn't sound so boomy. In the room the guitar is not boomy at all.

There IS something special about that GZ47fet V, at least on her voice. That is my favorite 3U Audio mic.

I have been traveling with my job and trying to buy a house, both of which keep me away from my studio, so I haven't been able to get out sound samples as quickly as I'd like. I'll redo the LDC samples for acoustic guitar this week-end (since the mics are still on the stands). Hopefully I can get to the SDC samples too.
Old 10th February 2016
Here for the gear

Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognogger View Post
Here's a track I recorded (acoustic guitars and vocals) exclusively using the Warbler IV.
Nice!...love the retro vibes!
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Here's a track I recorded (acoustic guitars and vocals) exclusively using the Warbler IV.
Awesome music! Nicely done!

Just two weeks and a MKII D is hopefully arrived here :D
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Head

Where can you order these mics? Is it only from ebay?
Old 10th February 2016
MYN
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainey2k View Post
Where can you order these mics? Is it only from ebay?
To get the early adopter price, email 3U mic designer Guosheng Zhuang directly at 3uadio@gmail.com. Since he saves 10% not having to pay Ebay's fees, he passes that onto the consumer. Plus, he's a super nice dude and will patiently answer your questions.
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYN View Post
To get the early adopter price, email 3U mic designer Guosheng Zhuang directly at 3uadio@gmail.com. Since he saves 10% not having to pay Ebay's fees, he passes that onto the consumer. Plus, he's a super nice dude and will patiently answer your questions.

Thank you!
Old 10th February 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Very nice hognogger!! Which position on W-IV for acoustic and voice?
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really nice and unique. Great work.
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Nut

U67

Could anyone recommend a matched pair (which model) of these Mics which would give me a U67-ish sound and vibe? Thanks.
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Nut

U67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeDub View Post
Could anyone recommend a matched pair (which model) of these Mics which would give me a U67-ish sound and vibe? Thanks.
Has anyone used the GZ67?
Old 16th February 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeDub View Post
Has anyone used the GZ67?
TapeDub, This is the demo thread for the microphones and I have found that there is LOTS more discussion about these mics in the initial thread that was started by KidVybes, Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings.

I'd ask over there since you'll likely get more responses. I have the GZ67fet, and find it to be a good mic, but I have not compared it to a u67 so I can't tell you if they are similar. There are sound samples in this thread of the GZ67fet.
Old 16th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
TapeDub, This is the demo thread for the microphones and I have found that there is LOTS more discussion about these mics in the initial thread that was started by KidVybes, Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings.

I'd ask over there since you'll likely get more responses. I have the GZ67, and find it to be a good mic, but I have not compared it to a u67 so I can't tell you if they are similar. There are sound samples in this thread of the GZ67.
You've got the GZ67 as well as the GZ67Fet? I lose track.

I would love to hear a comparison between those two mics.
Old 16th February 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
You've got the GZ67 as well as the GZ67Fet? I lose track.

I would love to hear a comparison between those two mics.
My mistake, I have the GZ67fet, not the tube version.
Old 16th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
My mistake, I have the GZ67fet, not the tube version.
Ahh gotcha. I have the GZ67Fet too. A very nice mic.
Old 17th February 2016
Quote:
Sweet!!
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Maniac
Acoustic Guitar Clips: GZ67fet, GZ47fet V, Warbler IV D (voice 1)

My previous clips of acoustic guitar with these mics were a one take with all the mics bunched together. You really couldn't tell the difference between the mics so I decided to record each mic separately to see if the differences would be more noticeable.

Setup: Apogee Quartet, Dynaudio BM5a
Guitar: Taylor GC 12-fret all Koa, pick .73 Ultex for strumming, fingers and finger nails for fingerstyle, Martin 12s Retro Strings
Mics: Had the filter on for all clips, had the -10db switch on for the strumming, cardioid pattern Warbler IV D on voice 1.
Placement: Pointed at 12th fret about 15" away.

GZ67fet
Fingerstyle
Strumming

GZ47fet V
Fingerstyle
Strumming

Warbler IV D
Fingerstyle
Strumming

The differences are still subtle and as I listened to each finger style clip I kept thinking, ok I like this one better than the other and then I'd go back to the other clip and think well maybe not. So it is still a toss up for acoustic guitar for these mics.

I don't like either of these mics for acoustic guitar because they don't sound detailed enough and while the top end is smooth on all of them, I don't like that for acoustic guitar. The GZ74 sounds better for acoustic guitar, but still a very smooth top end. I'm going to do my own personal shoot out with the Rode NTK (C12ish) and the Cascade Knucklehead (more mids) and see how they sound.
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Maniac
Finally got a chance to record acoustic guitar with the GZ74!! I recorded the GZ74 with a 12 Gauge Green12 since it is the only SDC mic I have.

I have the raw guitar clips and then clips with a high pass filter (100Hz, -12db).

Guitar: Taylor GC 12-fret all Koa, pick .73 Ultex for strumming, fingers and finger nails for fingerstyle, Martin 12s Retro Strings
Mics: GZ74 (cardioid) and 12 Gauge Green 12 (cardioid) adjusted input gain on the Quartet so the levels would match I had to use more gain on the GZ74 to get the mic gains equal, the gain was turned down for both mics for the strumming clips.
Placement: Pointed at 12th fret, 17" away

GZ74
Fingerstyle
Fingerstyle w/ filter
Strumming
Strumming w/ filter

12 Gauge Green12
Fingerstyle
Fingerstyle w/ filter
Strumming
Strumming w/ filter

My first impressions were that the GZ74 sounded muddy, once I put the high pass filter on it sounded warm, but not muddy. Not as bright as Green12. The Green12 was ridiculously noisy in comparison to the GZ74, though I liked the brightness of it. If you hear the clips with the low pass filter the Green12 doesn't sound as big as the GZ74, but does sound clear. If the Green12 wasn't so noisy they would complement each other well.
Old 21st February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
My previous clips of acoustic guitar with these mics were a one take with all the mics bunched together. You really couldn't tell the difference between the mics so I decided to record each mic separately to see if the differences would be more noticeable.

Mics: Had the filter on for all clips, had the -10db switch on for the strumming, cardioid pattern Warbler IV D on voice 1.
Placement: Pointed at 12th fret about 15" away.

GZ67fet
Fingerstyle
Strumming

GZ47fet V
Fingerstyle
Strumming

Warbler IV D
Fingerstyle
Strumming

The differences are still subtle and as I listened to each finger style clip I kept thinking, ok I like this one better than the other and then I'd go back to the other clip and think well maybe not. So it is still a toss up for acoustic guitar for these mics.

I don't like either of these mics for acoustic guitar because they don't sound detailed enough and while the top end is smooth on all of them, I don't like that for acoustic guitar. The GZ74 sounds better for acoustic guitar, but still a very smooth top end. I'm going to do my own personal shoot out with the Rode NTK (C12ish) and the Cascade Knucklehead (more mids) and see how they sound.
Thanks for taking the time to make all the samples including the GZ74!

I can hear much more of a difference on this batch then the other. You can hear the difference between the gz67 and gz47 V in the way the highs and high mids sound. You can also hear the difference in the Warbler IV too. I would have prob liked to hear the comparison without the filter or pad on if it was for me. I much preferred the GZ74 to 12 gauge green in all samples...the green was not flattering at all and the highs were not good.

If it was me, and I say this appreciating your contributions greatly so please dont take this the wrong way at all (its the internet so I have to put that disclaimer out there haha)...I would sell that guitar ASAP and get a Martin (spruce/rosewood, spruce/mahogany), or a Gibson J45, or maybe a Harmony Sovereign H1260 that somebody x braced if you want to save money. I think you are going to see your greatest sonic improvement there. That koa guitar just has no nuance or body to it and it comes off as tinny and empty sounding. It might sound good live but it is not a recording guitar and if thats what you are going to be doing in the space you just set up, you got to remove it from the equation. I think you will get much better songs and sounds.
Old 21st February 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquertheblock View Post
If it was me, and I say this appreciating your contributions greatly so please dont take this the wrong way at all (its the internet so I have to put that disclaimer out there haha)...I would sell that guitar ASAP and get a Martin (spruce/rosewood, spruce/mahogany), or a Gibson J45, or maybe a Harmony Sovereign H1260 that somebody x braced if you want to save money. I think you are going to see your greatest sonic improvement there. That koa guitar just has no nuance or body to it and it comes off as tinny and empty sounding. It might sound good live but it is not a recording guitar and if thats what you are going to be doing in the space you just set up, you got to remove it from the equation. I think you will get much better songs and sounds.
LOL... no offense taken... I probably should have chosen traditional woods to record the clips . I do have other guitars that I can record. Here is my arsenal...

Taylor GCce 12-fret SLTD (all koa) ~ 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany) ~ 412ce SLTD (sitka/walnut/maple neck)
Martin Custom Shop 00-14 (all mahogany) ~ Dreadnought Jr (sitka/sapele)
Gibson Keb Mo (adirondack/mahogany)
Breedlove Northwest Classic (sitka/myrtle/maple neck) ~ Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle/maple neck)
Bedell Bellissima (sinker cedar/rosewood)
Old 1st March 2016
Here for the gear
Thank you everyone for the recommendation on GZ47V and the next mic, I've few things to sell to fund this. Until then I only have GZ-251 and here is the latest recording. Please check it out.

Old 2nd March 2016
Gear Addict

Great track man and a great artist!

Am I missing something though? I've seen the studio recording video of that song and it looks like a neumann m147 ?

Edit: err tlm67 perhaps. I goofed

Last edited by nmrecording; 2nd March 2016 at 03:42 PM..
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Busted!

[QUOTE=

Am I missing something though? I've seen the studio recording video of that song and it looks like a neumann m147 ?[/QUOTE]
Old 2nd March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Busted!
I goofed but the 67 maybe. It definitely has a scooped headbasket.

Wondering if those "live" studio recording videos are just staged or what though.. ?
Old 13th March 2016
Anyone have any gz12 samples?
Old 14th March 2016
Lives for gear

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11771822-post2366.html

Here's a new song I just finished tracking for my upcoming album.
Warbler V on my vocals, Black CM-1 on acoustic instruments. Going into a Black Lion B173 preamp.
Still needs some rough edges polished up in the mix, but you get the idea.
Old 15th March 2016
dgm
Gear Head

Here's my sister singing to an instrumental version of My Cherie Amour by Stevie Wonder on the Warbler MKVI on Voicing 1. It was recorded in a room without any acoustic treatment, so it probably could be better, but it's the best I can do for now.

I couldn't resist adding a gentle touch of compression and reverb, but other than that it's completely unprocessed.

I know it's apples and oranges to compare a studio condenser mic to a cheap stage mic, but it's the only other mic we had access to, so we did a take on the Shure SM58 just for the heck of it. This is treated with the same compression and reverb.

Ahem... I think I know which one I prefer.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search