The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Addict

I own Warbler I and WIID and tried WII.

Depending on the source WII appears slightly brighter, but not much. The focus in the midrange is different. WI has more lows and is overall flatter.

Also there is a difference in percieved brightness in the models II vs. IID. As kidvibes figured out, there is a different coupling cap used in the D-versions wich results in a slight improvements of transients and small detail resolution.

Personally I don't see it necessarily as an improvement, but I prefer D-models for instruments like acoustic guitar, where I want a cleaner, or faster, capture. For vocals the non-D-versions sound "bigger". More expensive, if you want.

Regarding the voicing option: In five years of constant use I have not used it. If anything, I may want them slightly brighter, not darker. That may be a vote for a WVI. That said, the mic's are pure magic and I use them all the time!
Attached Thumbnails
Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos-img_20200408_103615.jpg  

Last edited by Dr. Jule; 8th April 2020 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Addict

I only own the MKID and I absolutely love it, but I agree that it's not bright. It's not dull or muffled, either, there's plenty of top end and it takes EQ well if needed, it's just relatively smooth and even. I do often end up subtly boosting some highs with whatever channel strip I'm using at the moment (usually Waves REDD.51 or Brainworx Console_G). But I only ever leave it on "Voicing 1," the least dark of all of them.

Since I last posted on this thread I've made a few more recordings with the Warbler on collaborative sessions and random jazz crap. Clips for the bored and curious.

Old 9th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post
Have you ever tried a dark condenser mic? The SM7B is a dynamic mic... not really “darker”... though it could be that too... it’s really just not nearly as hot as the condenser mics you mentioned (all three of which I have owned, still have the C214 and SM7B). If you haven’t yet, see if you can demo a U47 or something similar.

I’m not sure how to really offer up advice without knowing what your voice is like, what kind of music you make, etc... I have a ****load of mics and I’m constantly surprised how well one might fit any given voice. Those who say try them in your space are wise. I know it’s not always possible... what I do is buy them used, with the idea that I can sell them without losing a ton... but I usually just keep them
No, I don't think I've tried a darker condenser like you're talking about. I don't think I'll be able to demo a U47. I do know that my voice sounds much better on the Studio Projects B1 and its brighter though than the C214. I feel like the MKVID would be the safest bet since it can be both bright and dark, where the other mics kind of have normal or slightly dark sound, and get darker. I was wondering how the differences would take compression.

Its just pop stuff I guess, electric guitars or some rock type instruments in there sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
I own Warbler I and WIID and tried WII.

Depending on the source WII appears slightly brighter, but not much. The focus in the midrange is different. WI has more lows and is overall flatter.

Also there is a difference in percieved brightness in the models II vs. IID. As kidvibes figured out, there is a different coupling cap used in the D-versions wich results in a slight improvements of transients and small detail resolution.

Personally I don't see it necessarily as an improvement, but I prefer D-models for instruments like acoustic guitar, where I want a cleaner, or faster, capture. For vocals the non-D-versions sound "bigger". More expensive, if you want.

Regarding the voicing option: In five years of constant use I have not used it. If anything, I may want them slightly brighter, not darker. That may be a vote for a WVI. That said, the mic's are pure magic and I use them all the time!
Yea, I definitely noticed that with the D versions. I feel like they are a hair less sibilant as well. I wonder, is it better to get the one that has the low end and high end I like, then dial them back it I need to, or the one that doesn't and try to add it if I need to.

I think maybe they are both just so good sounding to me its hard to choose lol. Like good sounding mic A, or good sounding mic B.
Old 10th April 2020
Gear Nut
I have MKVI and i'm using all vocings. I also tought it's better to have brighter option so i bought MKVI instead of MKI but lately i'm using mostly voicing 2 for (male) vocal. Voicing 1 can sound a little bit thin and nasal on some vocals. I also use used Voicing 3 (darkest) for gloomy ballad, it sounds great. If i had money i woud buy mkIV as this is the sound i've been missing.
Old 10th April 2020
Thinking about picking up a pair of MKVIDs in a few days, or getting a pair of CAD M179s (maybe the 3 pack) as well. It's kind of between those two choices. I feel like the MKVID will cover more ground, but I really like the extra patterns on the M179.
Old 11th April 2020
Gear Nut
Buy warblers ;-)
Old 11th April 2020
Gear Addict

@ Dohreetoh I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Warblers. I've never used CADs but 3U for me so far is a solid, great-sounding professional tool with what seems to be excellent quality control.

Here's another remote-collaboration project from today with my MKID recording three stacks of tenor saxophone. Hey, we're still stuck at home, so...

Old 13th April 2020
Here for the gear

3U Audio CM-1 Black in action, with a brownish voice singing ab English folk song.

https://youtu.be/zvI5TX3gnZs

There's a little compression, a touch of demudding, and some reverb.

Gavin
Old 13th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
@ Dohreetoh I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Warblers. I've never used CADs but 3U for me so far is a solid, great-sounding professional tool with what seems to be excellent quality control.

Here's another remote-collaboration project from today with my MKID recording three stacks of tenor saxophone. Hey, we're still stuck at home, so...

Went with the CAD for now because it was on sale on Amazon and there was only one. Just sold that CM100 I've been trying to sell to a fellow user on here, which covered about a third of the CAD M179 price.

I do plan to get some Warblers at some point though. I'm thinking maybe the MKIVD (251 flavour) or MKVID (C800G-U87ai-U87 flavours). I'm interested to find out what the MKIVD sounds like with the darker voicings.
Old 14th April 2020
Gear Addict

@ Dohreetoh I hope you like the CAD! They have a lot of fans, for sure, and I'm always in favor of solid-but-affordable gear.

I think at some point if I get another Warbler it'll be a MKVID. If there's anything I'd change about the MKID it would be a little bit more open high end. It takes EQ so well that it's kind of a wash, all I have to do is bump some highs in my channel strip or EQ du jour, and the natural evenness of the mic makes it so easy to record with. But a little extra natural sparkle on top might be nice!

That being said... I'll probably be ponying up for an actual u87ai this year, after work picks back up post-Corona (Odin willing).
Old 17th April 2020
Here for the gear

This is not an extensive demo by any means, but this spoken word comparison made for a friend might give you an idea, as it includes the CM-1 black and the CAD M179.

I've got two of the M179s, and find them useful mics.

I've used them for recording instruments, including piano and percussion, and a variety of voices, where they work or don't as is the way with LDCs. I've even used them successfully for recording roomfuls of singers using omni-based mid-side, and I'd have no fear of using them in omni as spaced pairs for the same purpose.

For what I do (see an earlier post, it's a bit off the beaten track) they have a shiny 6kHz peak that often needs to be pulled down a bit... and a 3kHz peak that sometimes needs a bit of attention too. You'll read that elsewhere too.

I mean some time to explore how to eq them to make them sound more like my sE4400as and my 3U Audio CM-1 blacks. I'm curious to know whether it can be done.

Gavin
Old 17th April 2020
Gear Addict

Thanks for the shootout, it reflects my experiences with this microphones. ...and makes me want a SE 4400a

Two main observations
- room tone is very different in level and on a scale from nice to nasty, so to say. CM1 handles this very nice by the way.
- I think I'm still no AT type. AT mics just never touch me.
Old 17th April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
@ Dohreetoh
I think at some point if I get another Warbler it'll be a MKVID. If there's anything I'd change about the MKID it would be a little bit more open high end. It takes EQ so well that it's kind of a wash, all I have to do is bump some highs in my channel strip or EQ du jour, and the natural evenness of the mic makes it so easy to record with. But a little extra natural sparkle on top might be nice!

That being said... I'll probably be ponying up for an actual u87ai this year, after work picks back up post-Corona (Odin willing).
Could have been written by me.
Cheers
Old 18th April 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
Thanks for the shootout, it reflects my experiences with this microphones. ...and makes me want a SE 4400a

Two main observations
- room tone is very different in level and on a scale from nice to nasty, so to say. CM1 handles this very nice by the way.
- I think I'm still no AT type. AT mics just never touch me.
I'd agree re the room sound. I find the AT4040 a bit wide - maybe because of its smaller diaphragm. I've kept it for some years, as I feel it'll be useful someday in a well treated area.

I'd agree also regarding the CM-1 and the 4400a. The M179 had a very definite sound of its own, I think, and the se2200 was a bit shinier, and less to my taste.

With my voice, I need a bit of detail, but too much brings in the sibilance. The CM-1 and the 4400a
do well on that, for me.

G
Old 30th April 2020
Gear Addict

Use the pads!

Use the pads on your 3U Audio-microphones!

As I posted earlier regarding the CM1-Teals, the pad lowers the capsule polarisation voltage and results in a slight tonal shift. The same thing happens to my Warbler IID. Just bigger, softer, wider. If you can live/deal with the noise (more so on the WII obviously because of the lower sensivity) it's a welcome sonic alternative.

Some quiet Hölderlin as an example. Neve style pre. Enjoy!
Attached Files

WIID voice hölderlin-01.mp3 (1.72 MB, 414 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Here's another one, more improvisation shed-time on a great Sonny Rollins tune. Warbler MKID in cardioid, voicing 1, which seems to be where I leave it these days (unless I'm teaching a Skype lesson in which case I switch it to Omni and bump the gain a fair amount).

My wife and I moved into a new place a couple weeks ago so the new studio room is very much a work-in-progress! There's only a fraction of the acoustic treatment that will be there in the long run. But it's a fairly large room and already sounds decent. Gonna add some furniture, shelves, absorbers, and diffusers before long, and then it should be reasonably stellar for tracking!

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Does anyone know why the GZ800 isn't available anymore?
I'm looking for recordings and all the french guy's are offline. Can anyone care to upload some of the FET version?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search