The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos
Old 3rd August 2019
Here for the gear

Hey there fellow slutz,
I am a happy WarblerVI owner.
Now I am considering buying a GZ800 tube.
Is there actually anybody on here who bought one?!
How do they compare soundwise to my WarblerVI?
I would very much appreciate if someone could share some experience with this Mic (or even the GZ800 fet)!
Old 3rd August 2019
Gear Addict

Somewhere in this thread a French gentleman does a vo and sings a song on the GZ 800fet. Also, there's another vo demo of the GZ 800 tube but I can't remember if it's in this thread or the big 3U Audio thread. They both sound superb to me.
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Addict
I'm borrowing a Vanguard v13 for a couple weeks and have had the opportunity to put it up against my 3u audio gz251 fet. The takes are different, but I tried to get them close. Take it for what you will, but I think they still make a useful enough comparison. The sources are my own poor male vocals, my girlfriend's much superior vocals, and acoustic guitar.
Attached Files

v13 female vocal.m4a (2.47 MB, 698 views)

gz251 female vocal.m4a (2.47 MB, 706 views)

vanguard vocal.m4a (1.33 MB, 684 views)

3u vocal.m4a (1.33 MB, 688 views)

v13 acoustic guitar.m4a (3.18 MB, 684 views)

gz251 acoustic guitar.m4a (3.18 MB, 695 views)

Old 26th August 2019
Gear Addict

I preferred the GZ251 on female vox and acoustic, the male take is a toss-up. At first I liked the V13 better but the more l listen the more I'm not sure. Very useful clips, thanks for posting Adam.

On an unrelated note, I'll soon be the owner of a GZ67 fet. I'll post some clips.
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post
I preferred the GZ251 on female vox and acoustic, the male take is a toss-up. At first I liked the V13 better but the more l listen the more I'm not sure. Very useful clips, thanks for posting Adam.

On an unrelated note, I'll soon be the owner of a GZ67 fet. I'll post some clips.
It's a tough call for me. I think their quality is on par. To me, the gz251 sounds like it has a bigger peak somewhere in the highs and a little thicker low mids. I think the v13 sounds more balanced across the frequency spectrum. I also hear it as maybe being a slightly clearer in the midrange, whereas the gz251 sometimes has a slight muffle to it. Who knows, though, maybe the gz251 just has a stronger proximity effect or something? My girlfriend said it sounded like the gz251 added something to her voice at the end of her phrases? I'm guessing she's hearing the added high end.

Anyway, both great sounding mics to me, and in many ways I think they're voiced pretty similarly, with the v13 having that little bit of forgiveness thanks to the tube. Also, the v13 is the clear winner with total package (coming equipped with a heavy duty carrying case, wood box for the mic, mic cable, and shock mount) and in the looks department (I hate to say that could subconsciously influence my opinion on the sound, but it probably does). Overall, I think the v13 is just taking the lead so far for me. More tests to come, and congrats on the new mic!
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaulson1217 View Post
It's a tough call for me. I think their quality is on par. To me, the gz251 sounds like it has a bigger peak somewhere in the highs and a little thicker low mids. I think the v13 sounds more balanced across the frequency spectrum. I also hear it as maybe being a slightly clearer in the midrange, whereas the gz251 sometimes has a slight muffle to it. Who knows, though, maybe the gz251 just has a stronger proximity effect or something? My girlfriend said it sounded like the gz251 added something to her voice at the end of her phrases? I'm guessing she's hearing the added high end.

Anyway, both great sounding mics to me, and in many ways I think they're voiced pretty similarly, with the v13 having that little bit of forgiveness thanks to the tube. Also, the v13 is the clear winner with total package (coming equipped with a heavy duty carrying case, wood box for the mic, mic cable, and shock mount) and in the looks department (I hate to say that could subconsciously influence my opinion on the sound, but it probably does). Overall, I think the v13 is just taking the lead so far for me. More tests to come, and congrats on the new mic!
Both sound nice and useable but the GZ251 has more weight to it. The Vanguard sounds a little leaner to me.
Old 31st August 2019
Gear Addict

Well, I got my 3U Audio GZ67. This is a cover tune I thought of the arrangement in the late 70s and just got around to recording a couple of weeks ago. I redid the lead vocal with the GZ67 through my Langevin Dual Vocal Combo, a tad of limit, no eq. When the background vocals come in, they are both the 3U CM1s (black body) through the DVC. First impression, the GZ67 handles S'sss better than any mic I've tried so far. It doesn't have the magic midrange of my Brauner, but it's a killer rock and roll mic! Again, first impressions.
Attached Files

Vincent7 gz67.mp3 (9.30 MB, 894 views)

Old 31st August 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Well, I got my 3U Audio GZ67. This is a cover tune I thought of the arrangement in the late 70s and just got around to recording a couple of weeks ago. I redid the lead vocal with the GZ67 through my Langevin Dual Vocal Combo, a tad of limit, no eq. When the background vocals come in, they are both the 3U CM1s (black body) through the DVC. First impression, the GZ67 handles S'sss better than any mic I've tried so far. It doesn't have the magic midrange of my Brauner, but it's a killer rock and roll mic! Again, first impressions.
Really nice, man! The vocals reminded me of Lennon's vocal sound on Double Fantasy, particularly something like "just like starting over", with the delay slap and all. I believe he cut that record with a u67.
Old 31st August 2019
Gear Addict

Thanks Adam, yes Lennon sang mostly on u67s on 70s stuff, definitely a u67 on Double Fantasy. Lennon is one of my most sacred heroes and one of the reasons I wanted to check out the GZ67. I am a Kentucky person with a bit of a southern accent, but I grew up singing with John and my English friends have told me I have an English accent when singing. Oh well, it's what you practice and learn I expect. The GZ 67 is a super cool mic!
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Addict

Still experimenting, here's a verse-chorus of a cover song I've recorded recently. The first take is the GZ67 on lead and harmony vocals, second take is the Brauner Phanthera on lead and harmony vocals. I think the Brauner works better on this style, but the GZ67 has this razor sharp focus that makes it fantastic for a lot of rock and pop, Phanthera better for just acoustic and vocal or anything intimate. I think I have a lot of territory covered with just these two microphones. Do keep in mind that the Phanthera costs over three times what the GZ67 does.
Attached Files

Nothing at all5 gz.mp3 (2.57 MB, 757 views)

Nothing at all5 Phan.mp3 (2.57 MB, 761 views)

Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Still experimenting, here's a verse-chorus of a cover song I've recorded recently. The first take is the GZ67 on lead and harmony vocals, second take is the Brauner Phanthera on lead and harmony vocals. I think the Brauner works better on this style, but the GZ67 has this razor sharp focus that makes it fantastic for a lot of rock and pop, Phanthera better for just acoustic and vocal or anything intimate. I think I have a lot of territory covered with just these two microphones. Do keep in mind that the Phanthera costs over three times what the GZ67 does.

The GZ67 is sitting in the track much better for some reason. I actually prefer it here. Did you process them very differently?
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Addict

They are both through the Langevin DVC with maybe 2 or 3 dB of limit and no eq. A bit of software 1176 compression. Both have the same delay and reverb. I think the Brauner works better on this track, I think the GZ67 works better on the track above it.
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Original GZ 47 vs GZ 47 V. What's the difference?

I am selling a GZ47 that I bought shortly after release by Guosheng.
I enjoyed and appreciate it a ton, but simply am not doing much music
work anymore so liquidating some shelved mics.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a GZ47 ?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Addict

How can there be a difference between one microphone?
Old 17th September 2019
Im trying to figure out a good vocals chain i have an Apollo and tlm103 or u87 chijce of mics to use also a at4050 and a ksm 44 shure so im ok on mics anyone have suggestions on a plug-ins outboard harware vocal chain to apply for rap male deep voice ?
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingpenCowboy View Post
Im trying to figure out a good vocals chain i have an Apollo and tlm103 or u87 chijce of mics to use also a at4050 and a ksm 44 shure so im ok on mics anyone have suggestions on a plug-ins outboard harware vocal chain to apply for rap male deep voice ?
What is a 'plug-ins outboard hardware vocal chain'?

Also, I think you may have intended to post in a different thread. This is a thread for clips of a certain line of microphones. Sounds like you're set for mics and just wanting general advice. You'll get more useful responses if you post in a thread along those lines. There are hundreds of them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Anyone have more Gz47fet V samples? I've gone through all the ones here but would be cool to hear more male vocals and how it handles other acoustic interments like violins.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Did anyone get a GZ67 tube or GZ12 tube.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

I have had a pair of Warbler MKI's for almost 2 years now. I thought I would share a couple Spotify links for those who may be curious to hear the mics within the context of finished records.

I used them as drum overheads for this entire record: Michael Dart - Fightin' The Wars

I also used one of them as the lead vocal mic for this entire record: Rachel Reese - West
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search