The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos Condenser Microphones
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Thank you for the answer.

And what about a U67 ?
Where would it be ?

I like the fact that you have lower price tag U87/47/251 and higher price tag.

I've listen to the demos here and one thing I've noticed quite often in the demos of the lower price tag 3U audio is that if you listen carefully , behind the signal captured, you can hear a little digital ghost signal ...like some digital harschness or some kind of artefacts.

I didnt hear that with the GZ67Fet demo for example.

But I cant afford a 1K$ for a knock off.

I think I'll start with a Matched Pair of Warbler I and see where it leads me.
A pair of warbler 2 are also tempting for my cabs.
I find the sound demos very convincing even tho I hear this weird noise in the back....like if its a digital ghost of the signal....I mean you cannot hear it when theres no signal goign through.
I wonder if anyone else noticed that !?
I did a shootout a while back between a MkI, a vintage 87, and a vintage 67. In this particular case, I found that the Warbler actually sounded closer to the 67 than it did the 87. So if you're after something kind of in the 67 family on a budget, you can't go wrong with the MkI.
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike110492 View Post
I did a shootout a while back between a MkI, a vintage 87, and a vintage 67. In this particular case, I found that the Warbler actually sounded closer to the 67 than it did the 87. So if you're after something kind of in the 67 family on a budget, you can't go wrong with the MkI.
Interesting. I've shot out the MKID and a vintage U87 but not a U67, though I do have the MaxMod 67, which is very close to that.

Were you in voice position 3?
Old 17th August 2018
Quote:
You dont happen to have the files by any chance ?
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Interesting. I've shot out the MKID and a vintage U87 but not a U67, though I do have the MaxMod 67, which is very close to that.

Were you in voice position 3?
Quote:
You dont happen to have the files by any chance ?
Yeah, I found position 3 was the closest. It wasn't spot on, but it was definitely in the ballpark.

I posted some files a couple pages back that compare the 87, 67, and position 1. In that comparison, the Warbler sounds kind of in between the other two, more mellow than the 87, less than the 67. I'll see if I can find that session and post the position 3 clip as well.
Old 17th August 2018
Quote:
Yeah, I found position 3 was the closest. It wasn't spot on, but it was definitely in the ballpark.

I posted some files a couple pages back that compare the 87, 67, and position 1. In that comparison, the Warbler sounds kind of in between the other two, more mellow than the 87, less than the 67. I'll see if I can find that session and post the position 3 clip as well.
Great thanks !
Old 21st August 2018
Gear Maniac

Smile Warbler MKI example..

I used the Warbler MKI for the vocals and the acoustic guitar on this song of mine called "I Don't Feel Heat"

Acoustic guitar was V3, vocal was V1. Both tracks were through a Seventh Circle Audio T15 into the new Rev F 1176 I built from Hairball.

There is some verb, delay, EQ and compression going on here...I didn't record this as a demonstration of the raw mic sound, but I did think some people might find it interesting to hear an example of the mic in use.
Old 21st August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewh View Post
I used the Warbler MKI for the vocals and the acoustic guitar on this song of mine called "I Don't Feel Heat"

Acoustic guitar was V3, vocal was V1. Both tracks were through a Seventh Circle Audio T15 into the new Rev F 1176 I built from Hairball.

There is some verb, delay, EQ and compression going on here...I didn't record this as a demonstration of the raw mic sound, but I did think some people might find it interesting to hear an example of the mic in use.
WAOW !!

Sound quality is spectacular.

Good job, I love it.

The vibe really relax me, thanks a lot for that.
Old 21st August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
WAOW !!

Sound quality is spectacular.

Good job, I love it.

The vibe really relax me, thanks a lot for that.
Thanks for checking it out.

Here is a completely different example of the same mic, the Warbler MKI, on a female singer. Dozen Roses by Rachel Reese

Voicing 3 was used on this into a DW Fearn VT1, into either a Tube Tech CL1B or the same Hairball 1176, I can't remember which...probably the CL1B.
Old 23rd August 2018
Warbler 127 C-Flat vs. Oktava MK 012 unmodded/stock, acoustic guitar left Sigma JM-SG45, acoustic guitar right Seagull S6. All into AML ez1073 (no EQ).
Attached Thumbnails
Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos-mics.jpg  
Attached Files

Warbler127CFlat.wav (5.10 MB, 1736 views)

Oktava012.wav (5.10 MB, 1669 views)

Old 28th August 2018
Here for the gear

Just got my Warbler MK1! I'll post some demos of it MIXED to let you guys know how they handle compression, EQ, etc. I'll also do a shootout between the MK 1 and an Advanced Audio CM-47FET. Different sounding microphones but still budget mics in case any of you are curious.

My gear consists of:
Apollo Twin
Sebatron VMP-1000e (Tube pre-amp)
Audio-Scape 1176 Rev A
Ashly CL52E

EDIT:
Hey guys. This is just me talking in both mics (AA CM-47FET & Warbler MKI.) They are hooked up to my Apollo Twin, no unison, 36 dB. I'm about 4-5 inches away from the mic. No pop filter; treated room. This will be an ongoing thing so just let me know what you wanna hear!
AA CM47 FET vs 3U Audio Warbler MK I by Staten | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited by Luca S.; 29th August 2018 at 03:15 AM..
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry. Missed these responses.

A - 3U Warbler 127 (cardioid flat)
B - Neumann KM84

C - 127
D - KM84
The typical KM84 'zingg' or what you may name it, got my attention right away. I found A to be a bit boring, and B and D the most exciting.
Old 17th September 2018
Gear Addict

Hey guys, I'm very late to the party but I'm up to page 129 on the big 3U Audio thread and in the meantime, I did pick up a CM-1 black body. If you're on a budget, this is an unreal mic. Here's a cover tune I knocked out using the CM-1 for all vocal parts.

Share, Embed & Upload Audio with Clyp
Old 20th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Anybody try the transformerless CM100 SDCs yet?
Old 20th September 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
I own them -- they are great. I don't have much to compare too because they're my first pair of SDCs, but they sound natural. Transients are sharp.
Old 20th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've had them since they first came out. There are a bunch of clips on my Soundcloud if you're interested.

Fir_Out | Fir Out | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Maniac

Same here. I've bought a pair with the omni capsules when they were just out and have been using them pretty regularly for location recording (classical soloists, some orchestral stuff, choirs, etc.). I usually use them in conjunction with a pair of Neumann KM184s, and they play very nicely together. I like them a lot.
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've had them since they first came out. There are a bunch of clips on my Soundcloud if you're interested.

Fir_Out | Fir Out | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Do you remember how much they cost? Waiting on a reply fron Guosheng, and I'd like to pick up at least the hyper cardioid one, if not all 3 capsules. I'm trying to decide between that or an Oktava MK-012 "film set" (hyper cardioid version of the mic, with the additional capsules being purchased later). My new job actually pays decently so I'm looking to buy some decent (but still affordable!) mics to round out my locker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
Warbler 127 C-Flat vs. Oktava MK 012 unmodded/stock, acoustic guitar left Sigma JM-SG45, acoustic guitar right Seagull S6. All into AML ez1073 (no EQ).
Good demo, think the Oktava MK-012 is just slightly better sounding here. I don't think it sounds better as in it's higher quality, because the Warbler 127 C-Flat sounds great, I think I just prefer the slightly brighter recording the Oktava had (maybe it's the guitar?). I feel like if you want some of the higher strings (does that sound right? Not a guitarist) to stand out the Oktava is the way to go, though if you want everything to blend together well and give the lower notes some more character the Warbler 127 C-Flat would be the right choice.
Old 21st September 2018
Quote:
Do you remember how much they cost? Waiting on a reply fron Guosheng, and I'd like to pick up at least the hyper cardioid one, if not all 3 capsules. I'm trying to decide between that or an Oktava MK-012 "film set" (hyper cardioid version of the mic, with the additional capsules being purchased later). My new job actually pays decently so I'm looking to buy some decent (but still affordable!) mics to round out my locker.

Good demo, think the Oktava MK-012 is just slightly better sounding here. I don't think it sounds better as in it's higher quality, because the Warbler 127 C-Flat sounds great, I think I just prefer the slightly brighter recording the Oktava had (maybe it's the guitar?). I feel like if you want some of the higher strings (does that sound right? Not a guitarist) to stand out the Oktava is the way to go, though if you want everything to blend together well and give the lower notes some more character the Warbler 127 C-Flat would be the right choice.
thats a nice observation i can subscribe: the warbler sounds more "compact". if you want more "pop" use the oktava.
Old 22nd September 2018
Gear Maniac

Has anyone tried the hypercardioid capsules on vocals? It looks pretty flat sounding and I'm looking for something to record interior dialogue. I'm actually thinking about getting the flat cardioid and hyper cardioid capsules.

EDIT: I decided to just go for it and buy the CM100-H hyper cardioid and an additional regular cardioid capsule if the latter can be shipped with it. I feel like tonally the flat cardioid might be too similar to hypercardioid since the frequency response looks the same and flat cardioid has that small lobe of sensitivity towards the back. This is all most likely gonna be a voice over or singing mic anyway.

Just ordered the CM100H and a regular cardioid capsule. I'll do a test of the hyper cardioid capsule on spoken word.
Old 26th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
So how do you like that flat cardioid capsule? I was thinking about getting it, but it seemed like it was pretty close in frequency response to the hyper cardioid, and that additional lobe of sensitivity on the back of the c-flat made me think it would be redundant, so I opted to get the "airy" cardioid capsule (which still looks pretty flat!) as an additional capsule. I'll definitely do a demo of the capsules I got (maybe hyper cardioid on voice, cardioid on bass, not much of a bass player though!).
Old 26th September 2018
Quote:
So how do you like that flat cardioid capsule? I was thinking about getting it, but it seemed like it was pretty close in frequency response to the hyper cardioid, and that additional lobe of sensitivity on the back of the c-flat made me think it would be redundant, so I opted to get the "airy" cardioid capsule (which still looks pretty flat!) as an additional capsule. I'll definitely do a demo of the capsules I got (maybe hyper cardioid on voice, cardioid on bass, not much of a bass player though!).
i like and use it A LOT. it's become my fave acoustic guitar mic. it's simply delivers every time a nice, well balanced sound.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post
Hey guys, I'm very late to the party but I'm up to page 129 on the big 3U Audio thread and in the meantime, I did pick up a CM-1 black body. If you're on a budget, this is an unreal mic. Here's a cover tune I knocked out using the CM-1 for all vocal parts.

Share, Embed & Upload Audio with Clyp
sounds cool dude
Old 26th October 2018
Here for the gear

Cool, thanks for posting the comparison. The 127 holds up well against the 84. It has a nice transformer sheen and balance. I am sure the guitar and the player affect the tone more than the mic. I am going to buy one of the 127's and try it here in my studio.

DGT
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca S. View Post
Just got my Warbler MK1! I'll post some demos of it MIXED to let you guys know how they handle compression, EQ, etc. I'll also do a shootout between the MK 1 and an Advanced Audio CM-47FET. Different sounding microphones but still budget mics in case any of you are curious.

My gear consists of:
Apollo Twin
Sebatron VMP-1000e (Tube pre-amp)
Audio-Scape 1176 Rev A
Ashly CL52E

EDIT:
Hey guys. This is just me talking in both mics (AA CM-47FET & Warbler MKI.) They are hooked up to my Apollo Twin, no unison, 36 dB. I'm about 4-5 inches away from the mic. No pop filter; treated room. This will be an ongoing thing so just let me know what you wanna hear!
AA CM47 FET vs 3U Audio Warbler MK I by Staten | Free Listening on SoundCloud
That 47FET sounds pretty darn smooth to my ears listening on headphones. I'd still love to hear some examples from the 47/67 tube versions but they seem more rare, not many people seem to own them I guess.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Here's an album, all vocals are recorded with gz67 + warm audio wa12:

Haamurakastaja by Haamurakastaja on Spotify
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gears View Post
That 47FET sounds pretty darn smooth to my ears listening on headphones. I'd still love to hear some examples from the 47/67 tube versions but they seem more rare, not many people seem to own them I guess.
I agree! I think it's just my voice though. 100% of the time I'm recording a male vocalist, I always go to the 47FET. But for strings, guitar, and female vocals (or just higher vox in general) I reach for the Warbler MK I. Hopefully going to get the MK III or IV eventually.

But can't go wrong with either 3U or Advanced Audio!
Old 3 days ago
Female stacked vocals done with MK1D>>True Systems Precision 8

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search