The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos Condenser Microphones
Old 13th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by playon View Post
Comparing a tube mic to a FET mic is a little odd in the first place, like apples to oranges. Also it would be instructive to hear these two mics in the mix, to see which mic sits/cuts better.
Good point.

I thought that for this particular application the ISK was not sitting on the same quality level then the other.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Comparing a tube mic to a FET mic is a little odd in the first place, like apples to oranges. Also it would be instructive to hear these two mics in the mix, to see which mic sits/cuts better.
When it comes to vocals it doesn't matter if they're apples, oranges or treacle.. You select the best application relevant to the song / singer, whether that be a FET / Tube / Dynamic or Ribbon..

Time limiting of course you'll only try a select few.

How it cuts is dependant on your skill to make it fit, you'll have an easier time with the GZ67FET because it's more mid forward although having experience with more layed back "hi-fi" mics, I know to carve a bit of extra space for them..

In the low end the ISK is remenisent of Samsons upper end mic's (like the MTR231, which costs about as much as the ISK), just without the absymal quality issues of the Samson (amongst other things) and in the upper bracket probably the likes of the Sony C800G with a bit more "tube" grit..

Although its been a while since I've heard a C800 in person, the price tag is a bit rich for my blood..

I'm happy to stick it in a short mix scenario though..
Old 13th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
When it comes to vocals it doesn't matter if they're apples, oranges or treacle.. You select the best application relevant to the song / singer, whether that be a FET / Tube / Dynamic or Ribbon..
Of course, but it still depends on the context, unless you're recording accapella. A mic can sound great soloed but still not work as well in a mix.

Quote:
Time limiting of course you'll only try a select few.

How it cuts is dependant on your skill to make it fit, you'll have an easier time with the GZ67FET because it's more mid forward although having experience with more layed back "hi-fi" mics, I know to carve a bit of extra space for them..
Right, but if you can choose the best mic for the situation beforehand, you have a lot less "carving" to do. Some tube mics can sound very sonorous on their own but not cut as well, as you mentioned having an easier time with the FET mic. All I'm saying is that context is important, which is why I'd like to hear them in a mix...
Old 13th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Good point.

I thought that for this particular application the ISK was not sitting on the same quality level then the other.
Without any context we don't have a clue as how well the mic really works. I agree that by itself the ISK sounds more attractive, but it might not work as well in the mix.
Old 13th December 2017
Quote:
Without any context we don't have a clue as how well the mic really works. I agree that by itself the ISK sounds more attractive, but it might not work as well in the mix.
Again, good point, we never know.

Let's see what we can do with it here.

@ShadowAMD , could you do a quick track ( like a cover or something ) using both mic side by side and using them both in 2 different track ?

Maybe Playon got a point, skeptic but only asking to be proved wrong.

Lets do this
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Again, good point, we never know.

Let's see what we can do with it here.

@ShadowAMD , could you do a quick track ( like a cover or something ) using both mic side by side and using them both in 2 different track ?

Maybe Playon got a point, skeptic but only asking to be proved wrong.

Lets do this
Aye, I'm currently working on a track so I'll stick something together.. It takes me ages to make a song so it'll be a scratch track, don't expect miracles ...
Old 13th December 2017
We're not here to judge you but your mics

Just lay down a 60 seconds example with a guitar in the background and that will be just fine.

That's what they call music nowadays anyway
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Maniac

Does anyone have clips of the warbler mkII or gz47 fet? Especially curious about these two vs the new Beesneez Oliver Fet, which I haven’t heard any clips of either.
I’m very interested in the Oliver Fet or one of the warbler mics, mkID, mkII or the gz47 fet

Maybe this would be best posted in the other warbler thread?
Old 10th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Gz67fet to clarify, I didn't know there's a tube version? Or is there.... :D
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac

There's definitely a tube version out there, and one person in the wild who bought one. I've been curious to hear it, but- in all honestly- the GZ67 FET that you've got, here, sounds great.

Nice work!
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

I still really enjoy the GZ67FET’s. Really nice mics.
Old 17th April 2018
Here for the gear

This thread has made me fall madly in love with the GZ67fet. Sounds like the way I mix my vocals with my TS-2. If anyone has one for sale, I'd buy it off of you ASAP.
Old 25th April 2018
Here for the gear

Old 25th April 2018
Anyone ever tried a Warbler MKID in a 1073 clone ?

Care sharing experiences ?
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear
It takes a while but I get there.. I'm currently just finishing off sorting out my mic collection and selling off whatever I don't need, can't believe what I've collected and how many mics are just sat there collecting dust. So I WILL finally get around to recording a small track for comparison, be very interested in what else I can sell off ..

I currently have a Neumann U67, Neumann U89I, GZ67FET (of course), Mojave 201FET, ISK 2B, SM58's / 57's, AKG (C7?).. I sold my Mojave MA-1000, 2X SM7B's, my MD441 (because the U89I does hyper / super card and it's better at it IMO), AT4050 again replaced with U89..

The one I'm after getting rid of the most if the U67 but I can't seem to part with it, be REALLY interesting to hear if it's really worth the price tag on my vox..
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
It takes a while but I get there.. I'm currently just finishing off sorting out my mic collection and selling off whatever I don't need, can't believe what I've collected and how many mics are just sat there collecting dust. So I WILL finally get around to recording a small track for comparison, be very interested in what else I can sell off ..

I currently have a Neumann U67, Neumann U89I, GZ67FET (of course), Mojave 201FET, ISK 2B, SM58's / 57's, AKG (C7?).. I sold my Mojave MA-1000, 2X SM7B's, my MD441 (because the U89I does hyper / super card and it's better at it IMO), AT4050 again replaced with U89..

The one I'm after getting rid of the most if the U67 but I can't seem to part with it, be REALLY interesting to hear if it's really worth the price tag on my vox..
Nice collection! No sdc?
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by matias186 View Post
Nice collection! No sdc?
Two Schoeps MK5's, I only have one Ribbon which is an AEA R92.. Don't often use them as vocal mics though. Nowadays I only do this for myself and there's so many decent low end mic's out there in 2018 it's becoming increasingly difficult to justify keeping them around..
Old 18th May 2018
Here for the gear

So, my GZ67fet arrived today, and I've been testing it side by side against my Chameleon Labs TS-2 for the past 6 hours. I thought the less top end and more forward mids would work well with my voice, but boy was wrong. To my ears, my voice sounds fairly better on the TS-2. The GZ is too dark and mid forward on my vocals. Compared to the GZ67fet, the TS-2 sounds like it's already processed. It cuts through the mix quite better, in my opinion. I didn't think the difference in the top end would be this... well... different. The GZ67fet still sounds damn good, but I don't really need it for the time being. So, if anyone needs a day old GZ67fet, $500 and it's yours. I don't feel like sending it back to China. I know one's a tube and all, but I had hope. Maybe the GZ47fet would be more of my taste. I love the TS-2, but something with slightly less top end air and slightly more mid forward would be lovely. I'm looking at either the Telefunken AK-47 MkII, or the GZ47fet... Though, I sold my A Designs P-1, so I couldn't run the GZ67fet through my JLM LA500A Compressor. No phantom power.... So maybe not the GZ route until I buy another preamp.

This song is not to be taken seriously. I was joking around, lol.
  • Quality: WAV/48hz/24bit
  • Interface: Audient ID14
  • Low Cut: Roll off at 306 Hz with NI's Solid EQ & 277 Hz for the doubles.
  • Comp: -7 with Black Rooster's VLA-2A. (Input levels were dead even. Same exact comp settings on both recordings.)
  • Doubles: DrMS (36% Zoom, 10.9 millisec delay)

TS-2 (Raw)
https://app.box.com/file/293322565082

GZ67fet (Raw)
https://app.box.com/file/293322433911

TS-2 (Low Cut & Comp)
https://app.box.com/file/293322558617

GZ67fet (Low Cut & Comp)
https://app.box.com/file/293322425732

TS-2 (Full Mix Raw)
https://app.box.com/file/293322453153

GZ67fet (Full Mix Raw)
https://app.box.com/file/293322390186

TS-2 (Full Mix Low Cut & Comp)
https://app.box.com/file/293322390715

GZ67fet (Full Mix Low Cut & Comp)
https://app.box.com/file/293322252732

Last edited by YaBoyJDub; 18th May 2018 at 07:36 AM..
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBoyJDub View Post
So, my GZ67fet arrived today, and I've been testing it side by side against my Chameleon Labs TS-2 for the past 6 hours. I thought the less top end and more forward mids would work well with my voice, but boy was wrong. To my ears, my voice sounds fairly better on the TS-2. The GZ is too dark and mid forward on my vocals. Compared to the GZ67fet, the TS-2 sounds like it's already processed. It cuts through the mix quite better, in my opinion. I didn't think the difference in the top end would be this... well... different. The GZ67fet still sounds damn good, but I don't really need it for the time being. So, if anyone needs a day old GZ67fet, $500 and it's yours. I don't feel like sending it back to China. I know one's a tube and all, but I had hope. Maybe the GZ47fet would be more of my taste. I love the TS-2, but something with slightly less top end air and slightly more mid forward would be lovely. I'm looking at either the Telefunken AK-47 MkII, or the GZ47fet... Though, I sold my A Designs P-1, so I couldn't run the GZ67fet through my JLM LA500A Compressor. No phantom power.... So maybe not the GZ route until I buy another preamp.

This song is not to be taken seriously. I was joking around, lol.
Hey YaBoyJDub, I sent you a PM.
Old 20th May 2018
Gear Head
Posted this in the SA-47F thread but seems applicable here as well:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19J...yqqRbb-Svd1J2R

Vocal Mic Shootout
  • Stam Audio SA-47F
  • 3U Audio GZ67Fet
  • 3U Audio Warbler MK1D in position V1
  • ISK 2B Beauty
  • MXL990 (with minor capacitor mods)
  • Apex460 with edge terminated capsule and C12ish mods
  • Shure SM7b w/o foam
  • Shure SM57

Setup Notes:
  • one male vocal take by a non-vocalist (I'm so sorry) with plenty of dynamics
  • some reverb on a send, but no other effects on vocal
  • mics crammed together as tightly as possible.
  • all mics in cardioid, no pads or hpfs engaged
  • Pop filter , standing ~8 inches from mics
  • All run into an Audient ASP800, no buttons engaged (except 48V where needed, obviously)
  • level matched by LUFS measured over the whole take
Old 21st May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by adumbfish View Post

Vocal Mic Shootout
  • Stam Audio SA-47F
  • 3U Audio GZ67Fet
  • ISK 2B Beauty
  • Shure SM7b w/o foam
  • Shure SM57

Setup Notes:
  • All run into an Audient ASP800, no buttons engaged (except 48V where needed, obviously)
Did you have a fav of the mics you shot out ?
Old 21st May 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Did you have a fav of the mics you shot out ?
I thought all the LDCs did okay here. I'd skip the mxl and shures. The shures sound pinched (especially the 57) and the mxl has no body. SA-47F's not bad here but it's gonna be a kick and bass mic, something the other mics can not do!

This low-to-mid-priced market has so many decent choices now, it's awesome. a 3U, an iSK 2B, or a modded Apex460 and you've got a solid start to a vocal chain. Get yourself a decent outboard pre and maybe a color compressor, and suddenly discover YOU are the weakest part of your vocal chain

It's nice having mics that don't just reproduce a sound, but flatter and enhance it.
Old 21st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adumbfish View Post

Vocal Mic Shootout
  • Stam Audio SA-47F
  • 3U Audio GZ67Fet
  • ISK 2B Beauty
  • Shure SM7b w/o foam
  • Shure SM57

Setup Notes:
Thanks for posting this. Really valuable!

GZ67Fet is my vote. Followed by a tie of MKID and Stam. The ISK and MXL and Apex 460 all have an upper edge that I wouldn't want to deal with in a mix (the ISK less than the other two but still more than I'd want) and the Shures sound pinched, like you mention.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Anyone ever tried a Warbler MKID in a 1073 clone ?

Care sharing experiences ?
I have a Warbler MkVi which sounds awesome with the Warm Audio 73 preamp. It sounds just as good as the U87 i recently owned. Ive thought about having the transformer modded with ami or cinemag. But it sounds so good as is. I just ordered a GZ800 tube mic! cant wait

Last edited by Ministertrav1; 3 weeks ago at 02:33 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkit View Post
There's definitely a tube version out there, and one person in the wild who bought one. I've been curious to hear it, but- in all honestly- the GZ67 FET that you've got, here, sounds great.

Nice work!
Any samples of the GZ800 yet? I just bought one..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

GZ800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ministertrav1 View Post
Any samples of the GZ800 yet? I just bought one..

GZ800 came in! Wow.... This is pretty much spot on the c800 sound. from the low end to the high frequencies! I used all the alternatives except the akita. I used the Manley ref,The VTB,Barbaric audio ba-8g,stellar cm 6 and the telefunken copperhead.. This is the one i promise... I ran it threw my warm 73 into my universal apollo and I am happy. For those who want the 800 sound on a budget, it will not get better then this. I believe Beesneez may have a 800 clone on the way!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ministertrav1 View Post
GZ800 came in! Wow.... This is pretty much spot on the c800 sound. from the low end to the high frequencies! I used all the alternatives except the akita. I used the Manley ref,The VTB,Barbaric audio ba-8g,stellar cm 6 and the telefunken copperhead.. This is the one i promise... I ran it threw my warm 73 into my universal apollo and I am happy. For those who want the 800 sound on a budget, it will not get better then this. I believe Beesneez may have a 800 clone on the way!
Where can I see/buy this mic ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Where can I see/buy this mic ?

3uaudio.com. You can email Guoszeng through email and he will give you all the details. Mic came in 3 days. Get it!!!! cost $999
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search