The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos Condenser Microphones
Old 13th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by playon View Post
Comparing a tube mic to a FET mic is a little odd in the first place, like apples to oranges. Also it would be instructive to hear these two mics in the mix, to see which mic sits/cuts better.
Good point.

I thought that for this particular application the ISK was not sitting on the same quality level then the other.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Comparing a tube mic to a FET mic is a little odd in the first place, like apples to oranges. Also it would be instructive to hear these two mics in the mix, to see which mic sits/cuts better.
When it comes to vocals it doesn't matter if they're apples, oranges or treacle.. You select the best application relevant to the song / singer, whether that be a FET / Tube / Dynamic or Ribbon..

Time limiting of course you'll only try a select few.

How it cuts is dependant on your skill to make it fit, you'll have an easier time with the GZ67FET because it's more mid forward although having experience with more layed back "hi-fi" mics, I know to carve a bit of extra space for them..

In the low end the ISK is remenisent of Samsons upper end mic's (like the MTR231, which costs about as much as the ISK), just without the absymal quality issues of the Samson (amongst other things) and in the upper bracket probably the likes of the Sony C800G with a bit more "tube" grit..

Although its been a while since I've heard a C800 in person, the price tag is a bit rich for my blood..

I'm happy to stick it in a short mix scenario though..
Old 13th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
When it comes to vocals it doesn't matter if they're apples, oranges or treacle.. You select the best application relevant to the song / singer, whether that be a FET / Tube / Dynamic or Ribbon..
Of course, but it still depends on the context, unless you're recording accapella. A mic can sound great soloed but still not work as well in a mix.

Quote:
Time limiting of course you'll only try a select few.

How it cuts is dependant on your skill to make it fit, you'll have an easier time with the GZ67FET because it's more mid forward although having experience with more layed back "hi-fi" mics, I know to carve a bit of extra space for them..
Right, but if you can choose the best mic for the situation beforehand, you have a lot less "carving" to do. Some tube mics can sound very sonorous on their own but not cut as well, as you mentioned having an easier time with the FET mic. All I'm saying is that context is important, which is why I'd like to hear them in a mix...
Old 13th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Good point.

I thought that for this particular application the ISK was not sitting on the same quality level then the other.
Without any context we don't have a clue as how well the mic really works. I agree that by itself the ISK sounds more attractive, but it might not work as well in the mix.
Old 13th December 2017
Quote:
Without any context we don't have a clue as how well the mic really works. I agree that by itself the ISK sounds more attractive, but it might not work as well in the mix.
Again, good point, we never know.

Let's see what we can do with it here.

@ShadowAMD , could you do a quick track ( like a cover or something ) using both mic side by side and using them both in 2 different track ?

Maybe Playon got a point, skeptic but only asking to be proved wrong.

Lets do this
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Again, good point, we never know.

Let's see what we can do with it here.

@ShadowAMD , could you do a quick track ( like a cover or something ) using both mic side by side and using them both in 2 different track ?

Maybe Playon got a point, skeptic but only asking to be proved wrong.

Lets do this
Aye, I'm currently working on a track so I'll stick something together.. It takes me ages to make a song so it'll be a scratch track, don't expect miracles ...
Old 13th December 2017
We're not here to judge you but your mics

Just lay down a 60 seconds example with a guitar in the background and that will be just fine.

That's what they call music nowadays anyway
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search