The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Whats a good cheap comp to thicken up some heavy guitars?
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear
Whats a good cheap comp to thicken up some heavy guitars?

I'm looking to throw something on a distorted, heavy guitar stereo submix that will just thicken things up and add some weight. Is the VLA good at that? How about even the cheaper ART Dual Levelar? Suggestions?
Old 21st January 2007
why? a tube amp is the ultimate compressor, if you want to add weight and thicken them up, double up your tracks thumbsup
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

the cheapest thing is to realise that you dont need to compress heavey guirat parts. look at the wave form and you will see how compressed it already is.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear
I usually double or triple track heavy guitars (I do a lot of metal bands), and it generally sounds great. I know what a distorted guitar's waveform looks like... I'm not trying to crush the tracks... Lately I've been using parallel compression on heavy guitars and that seems to come close, but just doesn't give me exactly what I want.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

The RNLA has a nice color to it that is present whether you are aggressive or not with the compressor.

That might be a nice flavor for your tracks.

Regards,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
I'm looking to throw something on a distorted, heavy guitar stereo submix that will just thicken things up and add some weight. Is the VLA good at that? How about even the cheaper ART Dual Levelar? Suggestions?
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Lightbulb

If you can't reamp into a thick-sounding amp EG Mesa Mk series or similar, maybe try my suggestion below

Instead of multing with a compressor... How bout multing the track through a distortion plug-in or sansamp with a low pass or resonant filter at the end of the chain to cut some of the highs? I always use EQ before the plugin to cut the low mids around 200 cos the tone just gets too bloated and ugly.

I do that quite regularly with s***** or thinner overdriven guitars if they need thickening up in the mix or certain sections.

PS have you tried the Joemeek opto comps? Thick and characterful

Works very well for me, but mainly when there is 1 guitar or double tracked gtr, and I want to make more of a tonal difference.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
Don't compress distorted guitars. The one exception to try though is a multiband compressor. If you squeeze at around 250hz it will bring out the chugs. Besides that, it's all about how you make the guitar and amp sound before it hits your DAW.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Don't compress distorted guitars. The one exception to try though is a multiband compressor. If you squeeze at around 250hz it will bring out the chugs. Besides that, it's all about how you make the guitar and amp sound before it hits your DAW.

ditto
Andy sneap fan by any chance?
lol
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Nut

i realize there's absolutely no use in compressing distorted guitars. thickening would mostly come through wise eq adjustments..

but how do you deal with tracks which have distorted and clean parts together (i like compressing clean parts when the musical background calls for it) - do you use different channels i.e. cut the parts apart?

i just came up with the idea of parallel compressing, if there's no need for different eq settings it could eliminate the need to cut things apart.

just a thought about a situation where the record was set quite straight in one run.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyskull View Post
ditto
Andy sneap fan by any chance?
lol
hehe..yeah, and i am in the studio a lot with some guys that make records that he mixes. I had a beer with Sneap once...held off on the mix questions though...we just BSd. I figured..let the man relax when he is not working!
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriSh View Post
i realize there's absolutely no use in compressing distorted guitars. thickening would mostly come through wise eq adjustments..

but how do you deal with tracks which have distorted and clean parts together (i like compressing clean parts when the musical background calls for it) - do you use different channels i.e. cut the parts apart?
absolutely. or, if there is a channel count issue, do what they did in the old days and mult the guitar track to 2 console channels, use mute automation to switch between them, and treat the 2 channels appropriately for each sound. cheers,
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteor View Post
absolutely. or, if there is a channel count issue, do what they did in the old days and mult the guitar track to 2 console channels, use mute automation to switch between them, and treat the 2 channels appropriately for each sound. cheers,
great, i do this as well.
my single problem would be a content i can't/don't want to spend so much time with, where the tonal balance of clean/dist guitar is alright, just some compression on the clean parts would help.
oh well, i simply get to know the parallel compression idea better these days. will try this in particular pretty soon.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

FMR's RNC is great for it's price. I especially like the 'Super Nice' setting it has.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Just mic up another cab at the same time, or just two different mics on different speakers in the same cab. Adjust the timing, and phase, as much as you can with your tools.

Same gear... now that's cheap!

FWIW, the VLA likes to bounce too much on guitars without a sidechain. I liked my Meeks when I had them. VLA is great for voice though.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

me too on the RNLA...I love those things. I want another one (sold mine)...and I have an mc77 and 1968...still miss the RNLA...they are just cool...thick too...I find them to be easy to use...the ratio knob and threshold work great together. I like 'em on vocals too. Gotta get another soon...too cool/cheap.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

DBX 163x
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

haven't tried the rnla yet - gonna check one out soon...

the joemeek mc2 is pretty sweet on el guitars. about the same price as the rnla too...
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Nut

+1 on Joe Meek. Passing signal through it whether compressing or not does nice things to elec geets imo... hope this helps. Brent

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search