The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Konnekt vs Fireface 400
View Poll Results: Which sound file do you prefer?
File A
15 Votes - 44.12%
File B
19 Votes - 55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th January 2007
Here for the gear

Konnekt vs Fireface 400

I've done an A B test on the AD converters of the Konnekt 24D and the RME Fireface 400.

Here what I did:

1. Connect the analogue outputs of my CD player (Arcam DV79) to the analogue line in inputs of the Konnekt or Fireface 400.

2. Recorded the CD playback using Cakewalk Sonar 6 PE

3. Exported the recording using Cakewalk as WAV.

I selected an acoustic track - Kings of Convenience - Winning a battle, losing the war. What is good about this track is that it has vocal harmonies and acoustic instruments - a good sound test for AD conversion I think. Not to mention a great song!

The only difference in the recordings is that one is the FF400 and the other a K24D.

Btw - RME tell me that the FF400 has better preamps than the FF800 and practically identical AD converters.

I am not testing the preamps here - just the AD conversion.

Which do you prefer? Should be an interesting poll.

FILEA.ZIP
FILEB.ZIP
Attached Files
File Type: zip FILEA.zip (4.46 MB, 2219 views) File Type: zip FILEB.zip (4.57 MB, 2755 views)
Old 19th January 2007
Here for the gear
Wow great test! I listened to the files through my FF400 on Dynaudio BM5A's.
At first I found File A sounding more open, but after going back and forth I must say that I can't find a difference I could call by a name. Maybe it's my ears
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

at first i thought file b sounds better.

THEN I RECOGNIZED THAT FILE B IS AROUND 1.5dB LOUDER!!!!

after ajusting :-) i heared no difference that matters for me.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting this. I think they are pretty close, much more so than the fireface/rossetta shootout. I'm guessing A is Fireface and B is Konnekt. I would be happy with either one.
Old 19th January 2007
Here for the gear

Yeah, that's what I figured, I really can't call it as they are so similar to my ears too. I'll wait a while for some more posts before revealing which is which.

Given the Konnekt has three top notch effects included, it's looking like an extremely attractive buy.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

and its much cheaper, right?
i have the konnekt 8 and i am a happy camper right now.
Old 19th January 2007
Here for the gear

In case anyone missed the news...they introduced a new feature set and update.

A tuner in now available as is the option of using the plugs as VST and eventually AU plug-ins from within your DAW.

Nice to hear the clips.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

koo thanks... now which one has a better preamp, i would love to know
Old 19th January 2007
Here for the gear

weird, i remember reading on another forum in which a dude A/B'd EMU 1820M with the Fireface 800 and getting similar results.. the 1820M being better in some stages... i dont know im starting to think that any good interface $500-$2000 will sound similar to the competitors or there wont be a massive difference but a very very little difference in quality which only musical ears could notice!
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Head

Both files sound great - nice and clean...

Could you not test the preamp on both units too??

What about taking a low level piece from the same number you've used for the converter test (e.g the low level acustic guitar intro at the start of the number) and boosting that low level guitar intro almost to the converters clip (and matching levels).
Then we could hear the effekt of the preamps and how the converters sound when they work near the limit??
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illicit View Post
weird, i remember reading on another forum in which a dude A/B'd EMU 1820M with the Fireface 800 and getting similar results.. the 1820M being better in some stages... !
Yep, read the same thread...heh Don´t remember which forum though.
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

Konnekt 24D Preamps vs SPL GoldMike

Had a chance now to complete an A B comparison between the Konnekt preamps and a SPL GoldMike (dedicated professional tube mic pre amp).

I wanted to upload the comparison files but I'm afraid the upload kept failing :o(

I completed the recording using a classical guitar through a Rode K2 mic.

I was surprised to find that the differences between the two were minimal, I had difficulty distinguishing between the two and so did my partner (who can hear a spider fart at 100 yards!). Bearing in mind the SPL GoldMike retailed at around £500 ($1000) and is a quality, true full voltage tube mic preamp then you have to conclude that the Konnekt preamps are indeed top notch.
Old 23rd January 2007
thanks for the test. Konnekt 24 seems like a great deal. How are the drivers for mac?
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

the drivers slowly get there where they should.
version 1.10 is out since some days.
things have changed for the better, but i have not tested it (konnekt8) enough.
bus powering does not work with some laptops.

soundwise i like it very much.
and it looks ubercool... :-)
Old 23rd January 2007
well,
i think most new units have some problems with the drivers at the start. I remember fireface having some issues. I am gonna sell my mbox (nothing but issues in pro tools le) and switch to logic and seriously think about konnekt:/
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by steventucker71 View Post
Had a chance now to complete an A B comparison between the Konnekt preamps and a SPL GoldMike (dedicated professional tube mic pre amp).

I wanted to upload the comparison files but I'm afraid the upload kept failing :o(

I completed the recording using a classical guitar through a Rode K2 mic.

I was surprised to find that the differences between the two were minimal, I had difficulty distinguishing between the two and so did my partner (who can hear a spider fart at 100 yards!). Bearing in mind the SPL GoldMike retailed at around £500 ($1000) and is a quality, true full voltage tube mic preamp then you have to conclude that the Konnekt preamps are indeed top notch.
I can host the files for you if you want... I'm getting a 24D soon so I'm interested in hearing these files...
Old 24th January 2007
Here for the gear

You can find the preamp comparision and files at this post:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/105613-konnekt-preamp-vs-spl-goldmike.html
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict
This is close...Both very capable units and both sound impressive. I normalized them and it seems like A is slightly clearer to my ears in the 7506s, but it's ever so slight.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

To my ears, A is much more open or brighter. I prefer A.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illicit View Post
weird, i remember reading on another forum in which a dude A/B'd EMU 1820M with the Fireface 800 and getting similar results.. the 1820M being better in some stages... i dont know im starting to think that any good interface $500-$2000 will sound similar to the competitors or there wont be a massive difference but a very very little difference in quality which only musical ears could notice!
I have pretty much concluded the same. The one thing that I do find to be very different is the level of support and stability with some of these interfaces. I had originally set my sites on a MOTU Traveler but after a few weeks of reading and listening, I was hard pressed to find ANYTHING negative about RME. Whereas, I found plenty of awkward issues and idiosyncrasies with just about anything else I was looking at. BTW, the Konnekt was not included in my personal list so I can't comment there. Regardless, they both sound great! For me, the support and drivers are what I am basing my purchasing decisions on.
Old 26th January 2007
Here for the gear

Time to reveal which is which:

A - Fireface 400
B - Konnekt 24D
Old 26th January 2007
Here for the gear

well konnekt when back today as it kept crashing when used with sonar. decided to keep the fireface 400 as i prefer both the converters and preamps on it and it's never crashed!
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

there is a confirmed bug with the konnekt and sonar.
tc told that this will be resolved within the next 2 weeks.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

converter b sounds a little duller to in the highs

I prefer A,

So are the UB drivers for the Konnekt improved yet?
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

v1.10 right now is much better on my machine.
for example firewire bus powering works. :-)
another version is promised to arrive within the next 2 weeks and shall
resolve at least the sonar/ableton bugs. but i use cubase and have
no idea of them.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Nice, too bad that the signal flow of the fx part doesnt allow usage of multiple plugins as vst.

Im thinking about getting one although im a little sceptical about the RME/Konnekt comparison, i do realy tend to hear a slight difference in the high frequencies.
Old 28th January 2007
Here for the gear

I got a Konnekt when they were first available months ago. It didn’t work then, and it was sent back. I tried again a few days ago and the drivers still don’t work so that went back too. When I hear the new 'fixed' drivers will be out in a couple of weeks you can understand why I am sceptical...

I'm sticking with the FF400. If only it had that FABRIK R though! Anyone know any good cheap reverbs that I can use as VST plugin?
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Nut

I did some testing after getting my digital conections stright. I had some issues with how I had it all set-up, but all clear now.

I´am running a Joemeek SixQ with a guitar and set to Optical out, into Optical in on the K24D. K24D is set to Optical S/PDIF.

I also run a TC M-One XL coaxial I/O´s S/PDIF into coaxial I/O´s on the K24D. I send this to a bus on SX3.

After some hours with this set-up to a laptop (not bus run), with a good steady clock, I can say I had no issues at all with connections or sound.
Also tried it with Ableton 5.5 Live with no issues.

I´am happy now with what pallet I have and stability. The new driver, seemd to have fasten things for me, but I never had FW conection problems, or issues with SX3. (just resets on sample rate with the older driver and SX3, which is fixed now)
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Head

Hey guys well i just listened to them both though my adam-a7's (speakers) and let me tell you that file A is better sound quaility. I hate to say it cause i was looking at getting the konnekt. Thought i could cheat and not spend all that money.

Oh well its like my grandfather said. Good things aren't cheep........ cheep things aren't good.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I noted over on the rme/rossetta shootout that the rme had something going on in the high-end that I didn't like. I picked the apogee along with maybe 2 other guys. Everyone else chose the rme. Different but not better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search