The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boom stands?
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Boom stands?

I need two or three full sized boomstands. Who makes a decent, yet reasonably prices boom? I'd like to keep it under $50 a stand if possible.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Maybe the Tama MS205? $45 from MF.

I like them better than most of the other cheap stands. Maybe because they're cousins of Tama's drum hardware.

The only quibble: they're made with mini-threads, and come with an adapter to standard threads. The adapter will come off in the clip of any mic you put on 'em, so they need a few drops of Loctite to make them behave.
Old 19th January 2007
SRR
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by the scum View Post
Maybe the Tama MS205? $45 from MF.

I like them better than most of the other cheap stands. Maybe because they're cousins of Tama's drum hardware.

The only quibble: they're made with mini-threads, and come with an adapter to standard threads. The adapter will come off in the clip of any mic you put on 'em, so they need a few drops of Loctite to make them behave.
What Loctite product do/did you use, I have a few Tama mic stands and the thread adaptor coming off every time I change mic clips/shockmounts drives me crazy. I never heard of the product till I just googled it, so I wouldn't know what to look for or use.

PS: for under $50 the tama stands are the real deal.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

K&M (koenig and meyer) makes some fairly nice booms in that range. most cheap booms really suck, but i like the k&m's pretty well. i use both the 211/1 and 21102's.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict
GC is finally selling a heavy duty stand ala K&M for $40-60. DR i think is the brand. You can bargain with them and knock down the price. Since they price them the same as K&M, they should be cheaper as I'm sure they're made in china. Cheap mic stands are hardly ever worthwhile as they won't hold up over the years.

Another option are those heavy duty triangular base Atlas stands. They still make them new, ~$150-200, but since they last practically forever you can sometimes pick them up cheap. I'm talking about the MS25 models and the like. If you just find the base you can also add on a boom arm from any company and they work just fine. I bought 3 basic stands at a yard sale once for $5 each. I'm sure 30 or 40 years from now my estate lawyer will be selling them or I will myself when I have to move into a senior home.

I'm assuming you want mic stands for recording and not for live since the atlas are too heavy for that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search