The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Podcasting gear
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

Podcasting gear

Hi!

I'm looking for a good mic. & audio interface combo for podcasting. The maximum ammount of money i want to spend is 1000$/€.

I thought of buying the Shure SM7B or the rode nt2a and a m-audio firewire 1814, but I'm not shure if this good mic. suits the "cheap" audio interface.

My dealer has said i should use the sm58, but I'm not really convinced.

Thank you for your help,

Johannes
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassoon View Post
I thought of buying the Shure SM7B or the rode nt2a and a m-audio firewire 1814, but I'm not sure if this good mic. suits the "cheap" audio interface.
i think you are on the right track with the SM7B. that is an excellent microphone with a good reputation.

where i would pause is with the interface.

a friend of mine purchased an 1814 awhile back and brought it over to my project studio and we auditioned it. i was not impressed with the build of the unit; it felt shabbily constructed and the TRS inserts were awkward; you literally had to 'force' the cables into the insert points.

this could have been a problem just with this particular unit. however, i would not recommend that particular interface to anyone due to what i felt was a shabby build and the issues that some M-Audio devices have where if you ever accidentaly hot-plug the FW you can *ruin* your computer's FW port permanently.

i am sure there are others here who have a 1814 and like it; it wasn't for me (or my friend) and the unit went back to the retailer.

what software do you wish to use with the interface? that will play a major role in your decision of what to get. if you wish to use Pro Tools, i would recommend an Mbox2 (not mini or pro necessarily) in this budget range.

yes the converters on the Mbox2 are not *great*, and the preamps will not astound you, but you can always add a single-channel preamp later when your budget allows.

overall the microphone is more important, in my opinion, than the preamp anyway.

hope this helps, and happy to answer any other questions!

cheers,
~j.d.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

SM7B -> Safe Sound P1 -> Any firewire interface

Or just buy a Rode Podcaster.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

Sm7b, safe sound, interface: About 1300$
Rode Podcaster: 200$

That's a huge difference in price! I don't like the build in audio interface in the rode, i would prefer a more conservative combo.
Isn't there a cheaper and good combo? Remeber: Podcasts are *.mp3, so it doesn't have to be ultra high-end.
A friend of mine said, i should try the AKG C3000 and sennheiser 421 . Anyone experience with these two?

No podcasters here?

p.s I'm using Logic and Garage band
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Isn't there a cheaper and good combo? Remeber: Podcasts are *.mp3, so it doesn't have to be ultra high-end.
A friend of mine said, i should try the AKG C3000 and sennheiser 421 . Anyone experience with these two?

i have an AKG C3000B. it is a quite decent microphone but i think i would still choose the Shure SM7B over it for many tasks. the C3000B is not great at capturing all the detail in a voice in my experience. however i have only used it for singing.

~j.d.
Old 17th January 2007

Look up the Heil Sound PR30 mic.

Emu has a two channel 0404 that is reported to be good.

Edirol has some nice options at low prices too.

-tINY

Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi!

I'm looking for a good mic. & audio interface combo for podcasting. The maximum ammount of money i want to spend is 1000$/€.

I thought of buying the Shure SM7B or the rode nt2a and a m-audio firewire 1814, but I'm not shure if this good mic. suits the "cheap" audio interface.

My dealer has said i should use the sm58, but I'm not really convinced.

Thank you for your help,

Johannes
I think it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. There is one podcast in particular where one of the guys is using a cheap MXL mic and an old Digi 001, a few plugins and the sound it quite impressive. (Projectstudionetwork.com) Of course the digi001 is no longer available new. But the point being that you can get a really nice sound for relatively cheap. Take a listen and I bet you'd be surprised that they are using lower end gear.

Maybe one of the podcasting kits? It has everything you need to get started. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PodCastMMFW/

As mentioned before, something in the Mbox 2 range plus a mic would work too. It would be a step up from the Alesis bundle above and still be within your budget.

Personally I would say that i it's more of just a 'fun' thing, don't got too extravagant unless you are just a gearslut. If you plan on getting serious, buy the best you can within your budget and built from there.

Also, If your room isn't treated, I'd definitely stick with a dynamic mic. And to add to the mic suggestions, how about an EV RE-20? (that's what the Rode Podcaster was modeled after) They are great for rooms that aren't treated well because they do a good job of rejecting background noise. Stick a condenser in an untreated room and you're gonna hear the G-D dog barking 2 blocks away. (forgive me if this is all stuff you already know)
Old 17th January 2007
Since you've got the budget -- and this is GearSlutz -- I say spend it.

BUT... if you wanted to put something together minimally, you could go with something like a "pro" USB microphone. (Not the ones you get at CompUSA, yeah?)

There's everything from Samson's very reasonable BDC and dynamics (around 80 USD in the states), Blue's Snowball USB mic -- or even a new "high end" condenser mic with built-in source and computer monitoring (sort of like a combo mic and AD/DA converter with zero or near zero latency monitoring) from sE Electronics, the USB 2200a (599 USD).

Someone else above mentioned the Rode "Podcaster" which is also a USB mic and -- when I checked the product sheet at ZZounds, it appears to have onboard monitoring. That would make it -- at 199 USD -- my choice for a very inexpensive rig. Here's the website devoted to it: http://www.rodepodcaster.com/

Keep in mind, though, that unless a USB mic/interface HAS built in monitoring, you'll have to go "old skool" in order to hear your voice or other source in realtime -- taking one earphone off so you can hear your actual voice (guitar, whatever) in the room.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

I know it's the worst thing you can say in here, but check out the AKG C1000s, too. It's hyper (I think) and it's got a bass roll-off if I remember correctly. Or the Röde NT3. That one's definitely hyper card. and I've used one in a "bad room" and gotten great results with it. In fact, that's what I used to record my demos than I used to send away. I now work professionally in that field so it paid off, I guess. There's also a dynamic hyper card. mic called MD441 but that one's definitely NOT cheap.

Come to think of it, it's just vocals and just TALK so just state your budget and I think we can solve this. My first recommendation (P1 etc.) would be the deluxe version. That's all gear that you won't have to sell in a year. The cheapo (but probably just as "workable") combo would be a C1000s and an interface then.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

Hi!

Thanks for your answers, they ALL helped me!

The Rode Podcaster looks relly good to me. Would be great if someone tells me his experiences with this mic!

I have to make a decision: Rode Podcaster for 200$, or a combo: sennheiser421/EV-20/Shure sm7b + firewire interface (focusrite saffire etc.)

The demo clips on the rode homepage with Ken Sparkes sound great, but he will sound good through almost anything, and perhaps they have used the re-20 and painted it like the rode!
Old 17th January 2007
Well, I've had experience with the Samson condenser (I own one but one of my Mac buddies has confiscated it for the last few months as he seemingly re-records every song he's ever written into his new MacBook using GarageBand).

My esperience with the Samson (which has no monitoring provisions) is mostly good... for 80 bucks you don't expect a U47 and you don't get one but I think it would be an entirely decent mic for the money even without the USB interface. (And my pal, who likes to brag about recording in the same Capitol Records studio as the Beatles really likes it. Then again, I think the only other mic he owns is a beat up '58.)

The ONE negative I experience with the mic (using it in my normal DAW, Sonar 5) is that, while all interfaces I've used show some track misalignment (on overdub, as measured against existing tracks, forcing me to nudge new tracks to correct their 'timing') it's typically uniform from session to session with my PCI interface or my MOTU FW interface. The Samson USB mic, OTOH, tends to have a long AND variable misalignment, from 30 to 40 ms.

(For this reason, I tend to use the mic with Tracktion, sine that DAW, unlike S5, has a built-in track alignment calibration/correction utility. (Sonar 6 apparently addressed the overdub alignment issue.)

My Mac Garageband pal, meanwhile, says he experiences no misalignment issues. (Not sure if its his tech-naivete or if GB simply is able to negotiate the USB mic's inherent latency and compensate better for it.)
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe there would be a point in buying, say, an interface and one of the better quality dynamics that people have mentioned here. That way, you have great gear AND you can upgrade with a separate preamp in a year or so if you want, without having to throw any of the old stuff out the window.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsematary View Post
Maybe there would be a point in buying, say, an interface and one of the better quality dynamics that people have mentioned here. That way, you have great gear AND you can upgrade with a separate preamp in a year or so if you want, without having to throw any of the old stuff out the window.

This is also what I have in mind. A USB Mic. is a typical "throw-away" gear. If I bought me a good mic I would surely have it for a very long time.

Question is: I have heared you need a very good preamp to run the sm7b properly, otherwise it's sounds more like crap.
Do the sennheiser 421, re-20, akgc3000 sound better trough cheaper audio-interfaces like the saffire etc. ?

This would be extremely important for me!
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I can't say anything about the RE20 really but I've recorded stuff with my SM7B and with several 421's - old and new ones - thru various crapola gear like Behringer mixers and stuff, and it's sounded just fine really.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Get yourself a inexpensive voice processor and it will make all the difference! Even with a good mic, if you have no voice processing, you won't sound that great at the other end of your podcast.

check out the Symetrix 528e, basically an indutry standard for broadcast, now making its way into the podcast world.

http://www.symetrixaudio.com/index.p...ow1=&Show2=263

It has a mic pre-amp, compressor, downward expander, limitor, de esser, 3 band EQ!

I know they are under $500...check out the articles on them.

http://www.symetrixaudio.com/index.p...251&Template=N
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Addict

Any decent headsets that serve as mic and headphones for quality podcasting?
Old 24th August 2009

Yes, Sennheiser and Motorola both make nice ones. But, they are hard to find and pricey...

Better to get a good pair of cans and a stand-alone mic. The only reason for a headset is if you constantly have both hands in use and move around (like driving or repairing bicycles or ???).

-tINY

Old 25th August 2009
Lives for gear

most of the podcasts i listen to are recorded on consumer gear, and extremely compressed (file size) at the end (30mb for an hour and a half file).

podcasts are more about content than actual sound quality, i would think any decent budget mic and phones / interface would do. just make sure you compress

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search