The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
For the same money...RE20, MD421 or three E604?
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

For the same money...RE20, MD421 or three E604?

hello everyone,

I just got the oportunity to get those three mics for the same amount of money. The three E604 are the most expensive and the 421 the cheapest (by a tiny amount). My current mic list is : SM7, 3 Sm58 (one being Unidyne III), SM91, AT4047, matched pair of Crown CM700, and defectives MD422 and CAD E200. I record mainly full rock bands. So..which one in your opinion ?

Thanks
Ivan
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangoux View Post
hello everyone,

I just got the oportunity to get those three mics for the same amount of money. The three E604 are the most expensive and the 421 the cheapest (by a tiny amount). My current mic list is : SM7, 3 Sm58 (one being Unidyne III), SM91, AT4047, matched pair of Crown CM700, and defectives MD422 and CAD E200. I record mainly full rock bands. So..which one in your opinion ?

Thanks
Ivan
If they are about the same amount of money I would suggest the RE20. I have the SM7, RE20 and MD421 and if I had to pick them over again, I would pick them in that order (with the SM7 being my fav.)

I think you will like the RE20 for kick drum, bass cabs and maybe some vocals where the SM7 does not cut it.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

the md421 is a great mic! beautiful of toms...fabulous on elec guitar.. and from what i hear is a great rock vocal mic! all in all i love it my number one choice for electric guitar most def!
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

.....did you ever check an atm25 out?

cheers
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

If you don't absolutely *need* three mics, go for the quality over the quantity. I'd get the RE20, only because if it's the same price as the 421, then either the RE20 is a great bargain or you're paying too much for the 421.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Be careful... if the RE20 is cheap, it might have issues (rotten foam and bad or subpar element)... It's usually best to just buy RE20s new, imho. I'd go for the 421... or snag them all...
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Be careful... if the RE20 is cheap, it might have issues (rotten foam and bad or subpar element)... It's usually best to just buy RE20s new, imho. I'd go for the 421... or snag them all...

I agree. I once bought a used RE20 (I won't say from who ) and as soon as I took it out of the box, there was something clanking around inside the microphone. I could have had it fixed, and I understand EV is great about repairing their stuff cheap, but I didn't want to deal with it and just sent the mic back to the seller.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

That's old news... EV is great about repairing the RE20, but it's not cheap.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

421 = a hero. can record anything in rock if you need to.
Old 17th January 2007

I'd choose the 421, great on kick, great on guiitars, a classic on toms, and many other applications.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search