The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
simple drum recording help
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

Question simple drum recording help

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to get a drum sound similar to the one on Beck's album Mellow Gold. I know many of the songs were recorded on a 4 tk reel to reel, and the drums sound like a one-mic recording and you can still hear every piece of the set clear as day.

I've gotten some pretty good recordings before but can anyone give me tips on how to get a sound like that as far as placement goes? I usually use an Edirol E-100 condensor mic and an SM57 together on my drums, but if I can get a great sound with just the one condensor, how do I do it?

Thanks for any help
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

You might start here.

With one cond/ mic you might want to hang the mic on a stand right behind the drummers shoulder. It's a half way good question. I have never recorded with just 1 mic. As far as the Beck thing goes. I think the heart and soul of Beck recordings are the actual instruments. Listening to that recording I have no doubt Beck hand picked odd drums here and there for their eclectic sound qualities. Have fun!
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

When he mentions one-speaker mono recording in that article, is he referring to pushing the entire track to one speaker (panning) ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search