The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CAD TRION 6000 and 8000?
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

CAD TRION 6000 and 8000?

any good or same old chinese hyped high end?

-d. gauss
Old 16th January 2007
Good. Good. How good?, oh, I dunno, maybe

good, and even that might be an understatement.

These are light years beyond anything you'd associate with the classic Chinese hyped sound. These are more like the Chinese satellites that circle the earth and can hear the sigh of a cricket on a lawn in Ohio under dense cloud cover. The 6000 is great at capturing the totality of an instrument and the nuances of the player. The 8000 tube has a remarkable presence that not only captures the singer and even the singer's mood but maybe even almost the background radiation from the Big Bang.

And with all the multi-patterns anyone could want.

thumbsup
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

ok, so what's NOT cool about them? i've the shock mount is a little lame and that the 800o has a really weird tube in it. yes, no?

-d. gauss
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I saw a thread recently where they named some replacement tubes for the 6J1B that it comes with. I'm sure if you did a search you'd find it. (Unless it was on that other forum, in which case you'd have to search over there. (studioforums.com)
I would say the Trion 8000 is in the same territory as the AT4047, but the highend of the Trion is more silky and less hyped. There is a bit of a peak at 4K, and another one up higher, so you're still going to be getting a bit of presence. Whether or not the presence lines up with the source you're using it on is the key. If it doesn't work for you, Dave Thomas can mod it with a Peluso capsule and convert it to a 6072a tube (common type of tube) and you'd have the equivilant of a Peluso 2247LE (more or less) for half the money. But I did see a thread recently where the Trion 8000 won a shootout on a singer against a U87 and a couple of other heavy hitters, so it all comes down to what you want to use it on.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
ok, so what's NOT cool about them? i've the shock mount is a little lame and that the 800o has a really weird tube in it. yes, no?

-d. gauss
I had one which I tried out for a few days. I returned it because it really wasn't all that great ...not to mention the very odd tube that they use in that thing. Not that it's expensive (CAD support told me that they'd be selling them for around $12 US), but there just aren't too many options out there to swap around with it.

The main reason I returned it was due to the very 2D sound that I got from it in a head-head comparison with my SP T3 and Gefell 930 while recording an acoustic guitar through my ADL600 preamp. The 8000 and the T3 (or 930, depending on which was being tested at the time) were each recorded on their own preamp channel (which I swapped back and forth) and I recorded several concurrent takes using the same guitar (recording 2 mics at the same time). The T3 is a more hyped mic on the high end and bottom end, while the GeFell is not so much, however, more than that both the T3 and the 930 had much more detailed and lush 3D soundscapes to them. The 8000 just sounded flat and dull. It is what it is, an inexpensive tube mic, and it just didn't "do it" for me.

However, YMMV, so I'd suggest you try one out yourself and do some side-by-side recording comparisons so you can go back and listen to them the next day when the excitement of the (possible) new purchase has worn off a bit!

Good luck!

-mr moon
Old 16th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post
.... try one out yourself ....
-mr moon
And be sure to get one that captures the nice fine detail--not one of the off ones that sounds stale and lifeless.

And take it under advisement at all times, this is kind of a, how you might so say, shifty company with the cutting corners and always reaching a little beyond their grasp and all... and then realize for what you're getting, this stuff is dirt cheap.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
And be sure to get one that captures the nice fine detail--not one of the off ones that sounds stale and lifeless.
I must've gotten one of those. I guess if it's coming from a store, it might be good to plug in three or four and compare. Mine was mail order, and rather than send it back I got the DT mod, so I'm happy.
Joel - are you the one with the 2 sputniks? If so, how does your Trion compare?
Old 16th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
I
Joel - are you the one with the 2 sputniks? If so, how does your Trion compare?
That's me.

Well, for one thing, I take my Sputniks out on location all the time, which I wouldn't really dare with the CAD mic. The Sputnik build quality is way more robust, and the Sputnik is obviously produced with a concerned attention to detail--power on is a soft ramp-up, the cable from the power supply to the mic is really supple feeling, little built-in-durabilities that convince me it can take a few knocks. Once with a different CAD tube mic, walking the mic stand across the room was enough to fritz its power supply.

Sonically, I'd call the Trion starker and clearer and more honestly accurate with what's infront of it. There's a bluegrass singer I record who sometimes bursts into a falsetto, and he's got a subtle little lisp, and the Trion really does a nice job of getting that this is one of the charmingest things about this guy, that makes him so authentic, this unself-conscious joy of singing that transcends his limitations. Tracking his vocal on the Trion, you just find youself noticing all this and thinking about it. The singer tracking on the Sputnik seemingly has a filter of warm-ness and beautiful enunciation and pleasingly singingly soft tones. It sounds gorgeous and perfectly accurate. Is it tho? Hard to know. The Trion doesn't have a roll-off, and doesn't have a pad, and show you how dependent I'm getting--I miss them! It's a drag they're not there!
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Joel - thanks. I can see how the stock trion could sound good in a more acoustic setting. I was trying it for vocals in produced C&W and Pop tracks. where you need a little extra presence to cut through. The presence was there, sort of, but the super highs weren't. Of course, I'm an old guy and I can't hear super highs anymore, so that could have been part of the problem.
If you like warm/flat, you should definitely try the ADK Hamburg IIau. I'm really digging it on some singers, and I'll be trying it on acoustic guitar friday. (Did a shootout with it on ac guitar today, and posted in the 'tried a 414 all day' thread.) It's so smooth, it sounds like a ribbon, but with a little more articulation.
Old 17th January 2007
I will keep it in mind. Hell, I'm even going to skip my Microphone Buyer's Anonymous meeting tonight.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quoted this from a thread over at studio forums, regarding replacement tubes for the Trion 8000.

"I bought two Phillips EF84 NOS tubes on eBay for like $4 each.

DRAMATIC difference.

Both of the Phillips tubes are brighter, clearer, punchier than the stock Chinese Tubes. Less apparent low end.

One of the NOS Tubes had smoother Low End than the other. These Tubes sell cheap enough where you should probably get several to try out.

The Tubes are very easy to change on this Mic so it is fast to experiment."

Guess I should've left my Trion stock and bought a tube.
Old 17th January 2007
Sounds intriguing...
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Maniac

So I've been looking at both of these mics as potential winners in the "my first tube mic" category. I was wondering if anyone would offer their opinion on which they think would provide the best additional flavor in my mic locker--the Trion or the Sputnik and why? I'm also awaiting word on the new Chameleon Labs TS-2

Or would you buy neither? Thanks!

Eric

Current LDCs:
ADK Vienna (not IIau)
AT4047
CAD M179 (2)

Other mics:
MXL 603S (2)
Shure SM-57 (2)
ElectroVoice 635A
Sennheiser e609
Sennheiser e602
Audix D2 (2)
Audix D4
Audix i5
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Looking at your mic list, it appears you have the midrange covered, between the M179's, the 4047, and, to a degree the Vienna. I'd get the Dave Thomas modded CM12, which is a Apex or Nady tube mic with a Peluso CK12 capsule and upgraded transformer. It's scooped slightly in the midrange with a smooth but present high end, and would be a nice complement to what you have. But I'd only get one if he has them is stock. If you have to buy an Apex or Nady and send it to him in Canada, you could be waiting 6 months to get it back. A comparable tube mic (scooped midrange) would be the ADK TC. I think they're around $600, but I'm not sure. Or get a Peluso P12, which is similar, but better. Way better. I'd say you're at the point where buying more cheap mics is not going to get you where you want to go, and the only way to get their is to run up your credit card. But check out Dave Thomas first. He does, occasionally, have the mics in stock, and you definitely want the CM12.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Uncle Duncan,

Thanks for the opinions. I recall looking for info on this Dave Thomas fellow before and having some difficulty. Do you know where I can find out more about his stuff or where it's available?

Thanks
Eric
Old 6th August 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Good. Good. How good?, oh, I dunno, maybe

good, and even that might be an understatement.

These are light years beyond anything you'd associate with the classic Chinese hyped sound. These are more like the Chinese satellites that circle the earth and can hear the sigh of a cricket on a lawn in Ohio under dense cloud cover. The 6000 is great at capturing the totality of an instrument and the nuances of the player. The 8000 tube has a remarkable presence that not only captures the singer and even the singer's mood but maybe even almost the background radiation from the Big Bang.

And with all the multi-patterns anyone could want.

thumbsup
I agree with Joel. These are amazing. Especially the 8000. You can record an acoustic guitar from 3 feet away and it picks up like you are inches away from the strings. I don't know why these things aren't the talk on all the forums. The MXL and ATs are nice and flat but nothing compared to the 8000. I also have a 6000 which I love, but it sort of falls in the low end and isn't nearly as smooth on the top. Buy the Trion 8000 you can just about steal them lately.

PS...

I really want more info about the MXL Genesis. Anyone used one yet?
Old 6th August 2009
Gear Addict

I've used my Trion 6000 a few times and I've become pretty impressed by it. I found it tonally balanced, detailed and smooth with no obvious shortcomings that I've encountered so far. On vocals it captured a natural, very-usable performance and handled sibilance without exacerbation. On acoustic guitar it provided an engaging and coherent sound from top to bottom. As a distant omni room mic, it was fun to turn it up and hear all the detail it was capturing.

The next time I need to mic an instrument I want to compare the 6000 to my go-to AT4051a's, as I've since realized that this mic could very well be playing in a similar league...

All I know is for the $125 I got this mic for (used but essentially mint), it's so far turning into one of the best deals I've ever gotten. I really dig CAD mics for the dough (also own M37 and M179)!
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

If folks are really on a budget they can get the CAD GXL 3000 for about $60 less than the Trion 6000, its exactly the same mic inside - same framework, PC board and transformer. The Trion 6000 takes the 3000 chassis, encloses it in a bottle type body and moves the capsule to lollipop style head. But its functionally and sonically identical, at $90 the 3000 is the lowest priced three-pattern, FET / transformer coupled mic on the market.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search