The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
recording single fingerpicked acoustic guitar with limited gear - HELP!
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Addict

Question recording single fingerpicked acoustic guitar with limited gear - HELP!

hi, i have limited equipment and was wondering what you're thoughts are on mic selection and mono/stereo micing techniques for a fingerpicked acoustic guitar part...

Guitar - Takamine EAN40C
Body Shape: NEX Cutaway
Top: Solid Cedar
Back: Solid Mahogany
Sides: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Rosewood

Mics
Rode NT1A
AKG c2000B
Shure Beta 87A
Shure SM57
Audix OM3

any thoughts much appreciated,
cheers!
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

you can try recording your DI output of the guitar while recording with either one of your condensor mics to get more detail. Then blend them. You can even use both condensors in XY (angled 90 degrees to each other) somewhere from a foot to two feet in front of the 14th fret. Experiment though.

I'm not experienced with the mics you have but I find that a nice bright microphone (in my case, a SDC) sweetens the sound of a fingerpicked mahogany
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I would try the 57 at about the 12th fret, and the rode right around the sound hole. I've been using this setup with a 57 and an AT4050 set on omni, and it sounds so good.....it's too bad the rode is only cardioid, I love LDC omnis on acoustics
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Experiment with closed headphones on. If the track is going into a mix, you would probably want a thinner sound than if it's going to be a solo piece. 2 mics, definitely. One might end up looking down at the guitar over your right shoulder, or it might be aimed at the bridge from a foot away from the end of the guitar. Searching for sweet spots is what it's all about. That's the beauty of recording. Although there are guidelines, there are no rules, and the more you experiment the more you'll learn. Conversely, if you don't experiment, you'll never know what you're missing.
I forgot, the only rule in my studio is: No DI's on acoustic guitars. I hate the way they sound. A DI could be used as an affect, say, to make the guitar sound really ****ty, but other than that, they're useless.
Also, with 2 mics up, phase could come into play. If you can flip phase on one mic during playback, that will tell you if it's an issue. If you can't, try copying a ten second snippet to a new location, and then reverse the phase with a plug in on one track and see if that sounds better. (Better meaning fuller, with more bass response. Out of phase sounds kind of tinny.) If so, you need to go back to your full track and flip the phase on that channel.

Last edited by uncle duncan; 15th January 2007 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: DI
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

thanks for all the advice! i'll be trying it all out. any other advice an techniques still more than wecome too

cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search