The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please explain..
Old 14th January 2007
Here for the gear

Please explain..

I was sure that this wouldve have been discussed in a previous thread but have searched the forum to no avail..
Anyway I was just wondering if someone could please quickly explain the process of "putting it to tape" as i have no idea.
I dont have the option to do this sort of thing but am just really interested to know how it all happens.
Thanks in advance. : )
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

i dont think what your asking for is a specific process/effect... i think thats just someones euphimism for recording in a general sense...
Old 14th January 2007
press record, that's puting it to tape.
Old 14th January 2007
Here for the gear

for instance Jimmy Douglas said that to achieve the "fat" sound he got on alot of his hip hop stuff he used an "asr 10 through a neve console and onto tape".So he recorded to tape that much goes without saying.But how do they go from that step to the final format without defeating the whole purpose of the "tape sound"..saturation and a sort of thickness im guessing is achieved?I dont really know but would these characteristics be lost once bouncing to wav?
just curious.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by distance View Post
But how do they go from that step to the final format without defeating the whole purpose of the "tape sound"..saturation and a sort of thickness im guessing is achieved?I dont really know but would these characteristics be lost once bouncing to wav?
just curious.
No... the saturation happens during the process of recording to tape, so the results are captured on the tape recording itself.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Tape saturation and tape artifacts are forms of distortion that cannot be lost once they occur. Once you record something to tape, the audio is distorted and bouncing to any other format is not going to make them go away.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search