The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CAD M179
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

I think (IMO) gotta have the disclaimer in there.......

This is a textbook example of what the differences of some polar opposite gear prices really are. The differences are much smaller than the 8 year old little league vs. the L.A. Dodgers. This seems to be the norm, in some actual hair splitting situations/decisions.

Steve Garvey could play T-Ball better than you with your little bat.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Addict

Are the CAD's consistent in quality? At this price-point, how's the QC?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

I thought the CAD won War's female vocal shootout, but that's just me. Good thing they're so cheap, since now I HAVE to get one. I just hope it doesn't beat the pants off my thousand dollar Hamburg IIau.
Old 20th January 2007
Quote:
"Poor man's C414" has always been my thoughts...you and I have discussed this of course.
Warren,
What's your thoughts on the M9?

BTW, got the M179's in the other day. VERy nice mics. They definitely look (and feel) nicer in person, than the pics...haven't had a chance to plug them up, yet, though..

TNX again on the great deal!
Old 20th January 2007
While Warren collects his thoughts--and beware, he always has more down-to-earth useful and intensive, practical advice than I do--here's an M9 review of mine.

Stand up on your desk and scream after me: "THIS IS A TUBE MIC FOR $300!" With a streamlined (but picky!) production process using dirt-cheap foreign parts and assembly-line teamwork, your best new friends at Conneaut Audio Devices have wrought a warm, incredibly detailed single pattern cardioid 12AX7 tube mic WITH a 3dB @ 100 Hz rolloff AND a -16 dB pad for, like we were screaming, NOTHING!
The whole look and feel reminds me of spaceships on the Saturday morning re-runs of Buck Rogers--sleek and gorgeous, but also cheap and utilitarian, but yet very dramatic. The fine, dense stainless-steely undermesh of the grille, guarding the
capsule, just bespeaks the infinite power of science and manufacturing. I think of mine as my "6W" because I suspend it upside down--a good practice to keep the heat, which builds up, up and away from the delicate dirt-cheap parts, and for
which purpose the back shell is ported... and through which the tube glows eerily. (Actually the design is an evolution of their M-37. The way this company creates outstandingly useful mics, and then discontinues them and moves on to create even
better models--should I save it for the messageboard?) (And their fantabulous, efficient customer service--off topic, but very much on my mind, and yours, when it matters.)
My first test was pretty goofy but an acid test. I fired up my favorite Casio keyboard, the Rapman. I set one of its disco beats churning out the little speaker. By lowering the M9 to within microns of the speaker and monitoring on headphones, it all
sounded... real! I could subtly shift the angle and bring out the sheen of the cymbals, or accentuate the fretting of the bass player's fingers. The horn stabs were sharp and stinging. The density was deep, and throbbing, and... tubey! Using it to track
acoustic guitar for an on-going singer/songwriter project was an eye-opener. Compared to the previous guitar tracks, suddenly the Takemine was glitteringly, sputteringly alive, the bob and weave of her performance was there. The low frequency response is rich beyond reason, starting at a subterranean 10 Hz, and then following a standard CADian just-about-nearly-flat curve until you reach a plateau from 3 - 7 kHz, and then a big hump at 12 kHz. When this is "presence" and when it edges over into "too much high end" is maybe why there's "brightness" and there's "shrill" and something of a no man's land betwixt the two. As a center fill for a large, spread-out chorus, it provided almost a photographic, reach-out-and-touch kind of definition to the group, and the space the group filled. Using it as a lead vocal mic for an original cast album tracked in a large auditorium, it captured the texture and the resonance of the hall in a reassuring and comforting way. But look, we need some
criticism--so I'll say my one attempt to use it as a lone drum overhead during a noisy jam session didn't work--cymbals too here, the woofy murk of the room too there. Although it never even nearly distorted, as it's spec'd to tolerate a deafening
140 dB. Bright shrill piccolo leads, the shriek of an incoming missle--you might reach for a different mic in those cases. Its aluminum case is enormous, 8" X 12" X 15" and includes a power supply and AC cord, its own proprietary 30-foot 7-pin
gold-plated mic cable, and a super-excellent shock mount. The case is so huge that with a little judicious hollowing of foam you can carry two complete sets of M9's in one case, which is what I plan to do if I EVER GET MY SECOND ONE, which I ordered
last August. (I have been assured that the temporary interruption in supply is just about almost over.) You can upgrade to a vintage tube with the greatest of ease and get even more warm/cuddly response, but for applications calling for
luscious/accurate sound for sources near and far, this thing just as is just rocks. It just do
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Joel, have you ever used the M-9 by Cad? If you have, what did you think of it?
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I heard a pair of these on some toms last week.

Holy jesus.

I am going to have to buy them as soon as I get money.
Old 20th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
Joel, have you ever used the M-9 by Cad? If you have, what did you think of it?
It was blue. Almost entirely blue--except for the silver parts.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
It was blue. Almost entirely blue--except for the silver parts.
heh

Seriously though, is this the discontinued one that everyone likes?

Ill check it out on their site.

Nice review, btw!
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Can we get some Acoustic guitar and Male vocal clips?
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneroses6300 View Post
Can we get some Acoustic guitar and Male vocal clips?
Probably not the best example, but here is the M179 in cardioid on a cheap fender acoustic, in my untreated bedroom.
Attached Files

m179acoustic.mp3 (469.8 KB, 1226 views)

Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs View Post
Probably not the best example, but here is the M179 in cardioid on a cheap fender acoustic, in my untreated bedroom.
That actually sounds very good!
Kind of an Oasis sound...
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

What was the rest of the singal chain..I do like this sound a lot..I like the progression too! Reminds me of a really good 2nd rate britpop band from the mid 90's!
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
That actually sounds very good!
Kind of an Oasis sound...
I posted my above responce as exactly the same time as you did yours Yetti...haha...
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
I posted my above responce as exactly the same time as you did yours Yetti...haha...
I see that...HAHAHA
Old 20th January 2007
I just bought 3 more of these mics lol! Now I have 7 total! I top and bottom mic my toms.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
What was the rest of the singal chain..I do like this sound a lot..I like the progression too! Reminds me of a really good 2nd rate britpop band from the mid 90's!
The pre was the M-Audio DMP3, into a Delta 66 card, Cubase SE. No other processing on that clip.

Yay! I've been compared to a 2nd rate brit-pop band!
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I gotta tell yah that these mics kick serious ass for the money. I've been tracking drums with them on toms and they are knocking me out. I tried it on guitar cab and they have a nice natural sound that is very balanced and pleasing. I haven't been this happy about a product in a long time. I was using oktavas for toms but the CAD's just kick so much ass!

I bought mine about 4 yrs ago on the reccomendation from a friend that they were a bit 'tasty' - it does not dissapoint and it is very versatile, for the price this mike is a complete no brainer, it's insane for the price.

Sometime after I bought it I read a glowing review of it in SOS mag. here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Oct0...es/cadmics.asp

from said review "I remember being impressed with CAD's Equitek range of mics, when I first came across them many years ago, for their remarkable performance at surprisingly modest prices. The M-series is the same story all over again, but with technical performance approaching the best that is possible in this new millennium. Taking the M177 first, the retail price of this fixed-cardioid design is below that of the AKG C3000, yet it outperforms models such as the Beyer MCE90 and Audio Technica AT4033A costing significantly more. Similarly, the M179 costs less than the AKG C4000, Audio Technica AT4050 or Rode NT2, yet is, at the very least, their equal. Only the AKG is quieter and none has as flat or extended a frequency response."
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The pre was the M-Audio DMP3, into a Delta 66 card, Cubase SE. No other processing on that clip.

There's nothing wrong with that...Shed Seven, Gene, Mansun, Dodgy....great bands...
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Goes to show its the ears, not the gears!
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just curious how you positioned the mic also...
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just curious how you positioned the mic also...
I don't keep tracking notes on myself, but I am almost certain the mic was about 12" out in the area of the neck/body junction, probably slightly above the guitar pointing down at the neck/body juction. That's my go-to spot for mono tracks on that particular guitar.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't keep tracking notes on myself, but I am almost certain the mic was about 12" out in the area of the neck/body junction, probably slightly above the guitar pointing down at the neck/body juction. That's my go-to spot for mono tracks on that particular guitar.

Thats a great position for any mono acoustic recording. It combines the OH idea, with the "in front of the 12th fret" thing. That works well EQ-wise, but does not sound like the acoustic when you are playing it...good job!!

I have even got better results sometimes with total OH, but never the 45 angle in front of the acoustic.... yuck.
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

I've had good luck with the m179 on acoustic guitar about 12" - 16" out from the butt end of the guitar sort of looking up at the bridge, about 45˚ between perpendicular and parellel to the top of the guitar. I mix it together with something on the 12th fret, like a 603 or another m179. Honestly I find the spot by pluggiing one ear and moving my head around. I like mics that kind of record sounds the way that you hear them because you can use your ear to find a good spot. What do I know anyway.
Old 25th January 2007
Here for the gear

I just wanted to make my first post here. Over the summer, I did a quick live recording for some friends using ONLY a pair of CAD M179s and a Mackie Onyx 1220. We used them in XY figure 8 (one on top upside-down, one on bottom right-side-up) with the drums in front and the guitar cabinets on either side behind the mic array. Then we did a seperate track with the bass, with the amp next to the drums and the mics in the same place (bassist was playing guitar previously). And then an M179 vocal track. The only changes made were some EQ, mildly-tweaked compression/expansion curves, and gentle reverb on the vocals. Keep in mind that all the guitars and drums are going through the same processors, so I couldn't kill the ringing of the presence on the one amp . I went for an "honest", low-fi kinda sound. But I'm pretty happy considering this is two stereo tracks and a vocal track only!

linky

Any feedback (positive or negative) on how this was done, please lemme know.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_010101 View Post
I just wanted to make my first post here. Over the summer, I did a quick live recording for some friends using ONLY a pair of CAD M179s and a Mackie Onyx 1220. We used them in XY figure 8 (one on top upside-down, one on bottom right-side-up) with the drums in front and the guitar cabinets on either side behind the mic array. Then we did a seperate track with the bass, with the amp next to the drums and the mics in the same place (bassist was playing guitar previously). And then an M179 vocal track. The only changes made were some EQ, mildly-tweaked compression/expansion curves, and gentle reverb on the vocals. Keep in mind that all the guitars and drums are going through the same processors, so I couldn't kill the ringing of the presence on the one amp . I went for an "honest", low-fi kinda sound. But I'm pretty happy considering this is two stereo tracks and a vocal track only!

linky

Any feedback (positive or negative) on how this was done, please lemme know.
Welcome Jon.
That recording sounds really good!
That's a cool tune....I like the dark kinda progression with a creative use of drums.
Good performace all the way around!
The M179 mics work well in this arangement, very neutral and balanced.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Just wanted to say thanks to Warren for putting clips up on here. It's one thing to talk about this stuff but the ears don't lie. By the way, I do think you're evil. heh
Old 25th January 2007
Evil in a good way, tho.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Of course!
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Head

Can anyone comment on the sound & usablilty of the figure eight pattern for the CAD M179? I'm looking for a microphone to do M/S recordings.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search