The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
preamp upgrade from Firebox (under 400$)
Old 13th January 2007
Deleted User
preamp upgrade from Firebox (under 400$)

Hi people

Do you think I will notice a big difference from the preamps of my firebox if I buy a dedicated preamp about 300-400$ ?

Old 15th January 2007
Jai guru deva om

In that price range a Joemeek SixQ is a decent investment. It provides a good step up pre but also the "iron" switch which puts an input transformer in the path for a different / vibe sound. It has quite decent compression and EQ on board as well, and even has a SPDIF output to bypass your Firepod's converters (which aren't really bad but gives you a choice there anyhow).

On the cheap cheap the Rane MS1B would be a step up, and the M-Audio DMP3 for 2 channels.

My $0.02

War
Old 15th January 2007
Deleted User
I was going to buy an echo AF12 and a mid level preamp and buy later a good preamp, but finally I decided over an RME fireface 400.

The echos converters seem pretty good but no headphones, master level, etc... plus I really don't need all the IOs from the echo.

I think the RME will be a big step up from my firebox, and I can always upgrade the conversion and the preamps later because of the many IOs it has.

Thank you anyway thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search