Digital Multitrack Recorder as an Interface?
Old 12th January 2007
Gear interested

Digital Multitrack Recorder as an Interface?

Hey everybody,

I'm looking into machines like the Akai DPS24 and the Korg d3200 to use as a recorder and then send individual tracks into my computer.

What I have:
Pro Tools

What I need:
At least 8 simultaneous inputs
Effects send/returns so that I can use outboard effects before I mix everything in Pro Tools
24-bit processing

I really just need a way to get around buying a Digi002. I don't want one, it seems overpriced, and it doesn't do what I want.

I'm thinking that I need to get a digital recorder where I can use my outboard effects and mix them. Then send the tracks in as .WAV files to my computer where I can open them in ProTools to do a final mix down and mastering.

Any thoughts on the subject would be greeeeatly appreciated!

John Borden
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

The Akai is a killer sounding unit...I'm not wholely sure what you're wanting to do, though--it's mixer sounds better than ProTools, so I'm not sure why you'd want to transfer to the computer for mixing...?

I do transfer WAV files via USB to/from Nuendo if there's some special editing/plug in--and fly it right back into place. But, it's really a rare thing. The traditional editing in the DPS24 is simple and much more effective than software. Now...if you need to do beat detective kinds of stuff, you'll need your software. but, basic stuff is easier/quicker in the DPS24.

I had a guitar solo that was killer, but I missed one of the bends...I mark the in/out(w/dedicated buttons), export the phrase or note to the PC via USB (3 seconds), open Nuendo, Autotune the bend up, export it back to the Akai, where it falls sample accurrately back into place--now in tune.

You can transfer broadcast WAV or AIFF...either via CDR or USB1 to a PC or OSX Mac. I've not used the AIFF export, but I assume it's the same quality.
Old 12th January 2007
Gear maniac

Yup, I'm with Pops... The DPS 24 is a great unit. Had mine for about 4 yrs now and the only hiccup it ever had was when I installed the wrong harddrive...

I don't use a computer with my DPS but alot of people do and I hear it does great.

So I guess I'm no help whatsoever except to chime in with a "DPS24 is rock solid!" chant and to say "Hi" to Pops...
Old 13th January 2007
Gear interested

There is no comparison between the two machines. The Akai dps24 is in a class all it's own. I own it and love it. Very professional work surface, incredible sound!!
What Pop and Keldog said. Ethan
Old 13th January 2007
Gear interested

One more thing. You placed this thread in the wrong category. Low End? Get real. The Akai is anything but lowend.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search