The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Palmer Monicon L
Old 12th September 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Palmer Monicon L

Hello guys

Has anybody tested the Palmer Monicon L yet? It seems to be a neat monitor controller indeed:

PMONICONL Palmer PRO MONICON L - Passive Monitor Controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZSY06xNC0

Passive, balanced input, three balanced XLR outputs, headphone amp, sturdy and classy steel/wood-chassis, and all that at very reasonable 159€. The only small negative is that you can't control volume individually between the speaker outputs, only between speakers and headphone.

So far I have the smaller brother, the Palmer Monicon. It's good at what it does, but a second monitor output and a headphone amp would come in handy. Are there any better options in that price range?
Old 31st July 2016
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'd be interested too, especially interested to hear about he headphone amp
Old 31st July 2016
dkr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have one in my home studio for three months now. It works without any unwanted noise or other glitches. It comes with a power supply, but this is for the LEDs only (you can run it without but then the LEDs wont work), the audio signal path is completely passive.

There aren't too much alternatives at this pricepoint. One of the Behringer Monitor controllers has individual gain for all inputs/outputs.

Headphone amp works fine, can't say anything bad about about it
Old 31st July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkr View Post
I have one in my home studio for three months now. It works without any unwanted noise or other glitches. It comes with a power supply, but this is for the LEDs only (you can run it without but then the LEDs wont work), the audio signal path is completely passive.

There aren't too much alternatives at this pricepoint. One of the Behringer Monitor controllers has individual gain for all inputs/outputs.

Headphone amp works fine, can't say anything bad about about it
This info is gold. Does the headphone output work without the power supply connected? (in which case it's not a headphone amp as I had thought)
dkr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Does the headphone output work without the power supply connected? (in which case it's not a headphone amp as I had thought)
I always run it with the power supply so I did not think about that, but the product description says "To prevent signal coloration the circuitry is all passive, the LED indicators and built-in headphone amplifier are powered by the included DC adapter."
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkr View Post
I always run it with the power supply so I did not think about that, but the product description says "To prevent signal coloration the circuitry is all passive, the LED indicators and built-in headphone amplifier are powered by the included DC adapter."
Can you hear any background noise on the headphone output? Or any difference in sound quality between it and a direct connection to your sound card's headphone output? Thanks
Old 31st July 2016
dkr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
When the headphone volume is set to maximum I can hear a little hiss, but playing music at this level would let my ears explode. The headphone output of my interface (Focusrite Saffire 56) does not show this hiss noise.

Besides that the headphone amp sounds o.k. to my ears. In a quick comparison I would say the output of my interface sounds a bit "tighter" in the bass, but this impression could be caused by a far from scientific listening test.
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
Hello guys

three balanced XLR outputs
Maybe I'm wrong, but Palmer Monicon L has only 2 outputs, isn't it?
I am asking because I'm searching a controller who let me switch between two pairs of monitor and a mono avantone mix cube. Does the Palmer let me do that?
Old 12th August 2016 | Show parent
dkr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackontheroad View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but Palmer Monicon L has only 2 outputs, isn't it?
I am asking because I'm searching a controller who let me switch between two pairs of monitor and a mono avantone mix cube. Does the Palmer let me do that?
The Monicon L has two sets of output which are indepently switchable, all outputs have XLR-male connectors:
Out 1: L+R
Out 2: L+R and Mono-sum
Old 16th December 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've heard about the issue in the stereo image below 10:00 position with the smaller Monicon... has anybody the same with the Monicon L?
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Never noticed that issue with my Monicon L. I have it since a few years and it does exactly what it says, never had an issue with it. I briefly thought about replacing it with a TC Electronics BMC-2, but I don't see what I would be gaining apart from a DAC, and the one from my soundcard is good enough.
Old 6th May 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'd love to get this if they had used balanced inputs for the second set...
Old 6th May 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
i just use the routing in my DAW & interface(behringer ADA8200) to switch between multiple speakers. Mono sum etc.
In reaper I have it setup this way now that if I press F1:
Unmute the LSR305's and mute the Avantone.

And with F2:
Unmute the Avantone, mute the LSR305's and also sum the stereo to mono on the master fader.

No need for spending money on another device to do this, also no extra possible audiopath that can breakdown
I used to have the M-Patch 2 before, and although it was passive it ****ed up my stereo imaging. So really glad with how it is now!
Old 9th July 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeff View Post
i just use the routing in my DAW & interface(behringer ADA8200) to switch between multiple speakers. Mono sum etc
This is a great solution when you consider that a monitor controller worthy of critical listening is SO expensive (understandably due to the necessity of components which have little-to-no discreet colouration).

I’m hoping I can achieve this shortcut with my Logic Pro X and Focusrite Clarett 2pre setup!
πŸ“ Reply