The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iSK Pro Audio = Low End Heaven ?
Old 9th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I just had the Starlight in the cart until I seen the $22.00 shipping. to bad, I was really wanting to try this mic out!
Seriously, don't let a shipping charge keep you from owning this mic. Keep in mind that iSK Pro Audio is a small distributor compared to much larger companies that get groovy deals from UPS, FEDEX, etc. Kris at iSK Pro Audio can (and does) provide much more personalized service than some of the bigger companies, so if you have any problems they are remedied expediently. Plus, AFAIK he's the only distributor for these mics in North America.
Old 9th December 2015
RTR
Lives for gear

ok, I think you guys have talked me into it. Was also looking at the Neuman tlm 102..i cant decide
Old 9th December 2015
I ordered an iSK 2B a week ago and it's being shipped from Canada. I'll post my thoughts once a test it out for a couple weeks.
Old 15th December 2015
Gear Head

I just received my 2x Pearls and a BDM-1. I'll try and post a comparison of the Pearls vs some MK-012s with the electronics mod when I can. I'll be running them through a pair of CAPI VP-28s into an Antelope Zen. I strum some acoustic guitar and hit a few drums.
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

I am a bit curious about their Ribbons. Seems like the passive is designed like the FatHead, not sure about their active model. Less information listed provided
on that product page
Old 24th December 2015
Lives for gear

I've got a review of the Little Gems up. Recorded a group of songs, quick and dirty, with Gems, TDM, BDM, 2B beauty and Pearl. Only mics used, and minimal messing around with the mixes. Pretty much all done in one day. I'd link to it, but review section is down right now.

Also used a pair of Little Gems for a TV talk show as table mics. Used the Hyper Card capsules, and they worked beautifully. Clean natural sound, far better than our usual AT lav mics. It airs on ION TV Chicago in a week or so, and then it'll be up on Youtube. I'll link.
Old 24th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I've got a review of the Little Gems up. Recorded a group of songs, quick and dirty, with Gems, TDM, BDM, 2B beauty and Pearl. Only mics used, and minimal messing around with the mixes. Pretty much all done in one day. I'd link to it, but review section is down right now.

Also used a pair of Little Gems for a TV talk show as table mics. Used the Hyper Card capsules, and they worked beautifully. Clean natural sound, far better than our usual AT lav mics. It airs on ION TV Chicago in a week or so, and then it'll be up on Youtube. I'll link.
Looking forward to hearing your audio clips.

Wasn't happy with the dynamic TDM on AC guitar at all but it sure rocks the duty on guitar amps really well.
Old 24th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Looking forward to hearing your audio clips.

Wasn't happy with the dynamic TDM on AC guitar at all but it sure rocks the duty on guitar amps really well.
Yeah, the TDM probably would not cut it on acoustic. It's a bit less sweet sounding than a 57, a bit more honk. Just the thing for snr and guit amp.

Review servers seem to be back in operation. here's the Little Gem.

Isk Little Gem

There's also a shootout I did of the 2B Beauty in the review section against a U87 and the iSK Pearl, singing Sorry Baby into each over the same BG track. The $30 Pearl performed admirably against the 2B and the U87. Freakishly well. Dare I say, It's got just a touch of the glassy smooth texture that I miss dearly since I sold my old KM56. I know, blasphemy! Yet there it is in my face, every time I listen to that take. Could have been my throat at that moment, I guess. Every take is unique at the source. Go figure. 30 bucks.

And a different recording/arrangement/performance of 22 Days in that review from the one in the Little Gem review. More BB style, for a different look at these mics.

Isk 2B Beauty
Old 27th December 2015
Gear Addict

How about RM-8? Has anybody tried it? Is it good?
Old 31st December 2015
Gear Head

I had a chance to do a quick test of the iSK Pearls vs my Oktava MC-012s (with modded electronics).

I recorded both stereo mic sets simultaneously using an Antelope Zen. The mics were about 6 inches apart. Forgive my sloppy playing!

The drums takes were positioned behind the kit about 6.5 feet up aiming at the snare. The room is untreated, high ceilings and on the bright side.

The acoustic take was about 1 foot from the 12th fret.

I plan on posting a simple review of these $29 beauties soon. I will say that I find them a nice compliment to the Oktavas and well worth the <$75 for the pair.

Old 31st December 2015
Lives for gear

When I compared my Joly modded 012 to the iSK Pearl I was so surprised at the differences.

The Pearl revealed in comparison how colored the 012 is and revealed distortion in the 012 that I'd never noticed before. The modded 012 has premium electronics of course so I assume the color mostly comes from the capsule. A nice sound of course, but nowhere near as natural or flat as the Pearl.

The other thing I noticed was how open the Pearl sounded in comparison, and I hear a bit of that in the clips posted above.

If you're looking for an SDC that has a flatter response than other mics in the low to mid price range the Pearl is an absolute steal at $29, not to mention the Little Gem for $49 with its multiple capsules. Sometimes for close mic'ing and fingerstyle AC guitar aps an omni capsule is just what you need.

The only other SDC I've heard with such little distortion is an AT 4047. The 4047 is a great mic IMO but is so aggressively bright in the highs and upper mids that it can easily be overwhelming and hard to control in a mix, where the Pearl and Little Gem just seem to sit in a mix really well without any need for EQ.

The other iSK mics I've used exhibit the same qualities with regard to very little distortion or overbearing color. Just a smooth, natural capture that sounds open and flat with a nice dimensional quality.
Old 31st December 2015
Gear Addict

Hello chaps. I'm in the uk, and shipping from the us site is understandably high.
I found this site for UK purchases, but the models are all different.

http://www.micsdirect.com/iskabout.htm

Any UK slutz found a reasonably priced source of the mics and cans mentioned in this thread?
Old 31st December 2015
Gear Addict

Hang on there - is the Pearl just called a BM88 over this side of the pond, then?

iSK BM-88 Condenser Microphone
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micoholic View Post
Hang on there - is the Pearl just called a BM88 over this side of the pond, then?

iSK BM-88 Condenser Microphone
Affirmative.

Kris at iSK Pro Audio as the distributor for North America simply renamed them.

TRM-11 = 2B Beauty
BM-88 = Pearl
TDM-1 = TDM-1 (a great little mic for amps BTW)

The Starlight from iSK pro Audio doesn't seem to be offered in Europe though. I could be wrong. The Starlight is another real winner IMO.
Old 1st January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
The from iSK pro Audio doesn't seem to be offered in Europe though. I could be wrong. The Starlight is another real winner IMO.
Is this the one?

http://www.micsdirect.com/isk_t3000.htm

I really want the hd9999 . Ah, well.

Anyway, what the heck am I doing, it's quarter to 2016! Nearly happy new year everyone!
Old 1st January 2016
Gear Nut

thanks for the clips ab.
And to kennybro, those songs you posted in the reviews are just killer! Both the performance and recordings are top notch! I didn't want to let those just slip under the radar, they should be heard by more people, and beyond the confines of this site, great job man!..
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micoholic View Post
Is this the one?

iSK T-3000 microphone

I really want the hd9999 . Ah, well.

Anyway, what the heck am I doing, it's quarter to 2016! Nearly happy new year everyone!
Yes that's it. Really impressive mic IMO.
Old 2nd January 2016
Lives for gear

But no "little gems" in EU it seems - or has anyone found any yet?

::
Mads
Old 3rd January 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
But no "little gems" in EU it seems - or has anyone found any yet?

Mads

UK site "micsdirect" mentioned in this thread ships for example Finland and other countries. But price was pretty high. Pearls were £45 each plus shipping. So it was over £100 and in euros even more... Still the Pearls might be worth it IMO, the comparison with 012s was impressive. Very open sound. And sounded good with double bass on the manufacturers site too. Little gems seemed quite scooped (of course it can be wanted sound and sit in the mix well).
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekkaKurki View Post
UK site "micsdirect" mentioned in this thread ships for example Finland and other countries. But price was pretty high. Pearls were £45 each plus shipping. So it was over £100 and in euros even more... Still the Pearls might be worth it IMO, the comparison with 012s was impressive. Very open sound. And sounded good with double bass on the manufacturers site too. Little gems seemed quite scooped (of course it can be wanted sound and sit in the mix well).
Yes I'm aware of micsdirect, but no little gems seems to be there. I also noticed the comparatively high price - hopefully this will change, if more distributors shows up in Europe.

Mads
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Have you tried getting in touch with Kris at iSK Pro Audio in Canada? I understand it's a long way from home, but his shipping rates are very reasonable. Great communication, too.
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Nut

I don't know how they are able to give such low prices.

In China the Starlight (T3000) as an example retails at CNY 3900, which is 600 USD! https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=45176214378
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for info - very strange that prices differ that much.

Mads
Old 10th January 2016
Gear Addict
Anbody knowing the noise level of the 'little gem'?
Old 10th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Quality View Post
I don't know how they are able to give such low prices.

In China the Starlight (T3000) as an example retails at CNY 3900, which is 600 USD! https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=45176214378
...those Chinese sites generally have outlandishly high retail prices, so not really relevant...this is more realistic:
iSK Pro Audio = Low End Heaven ?ISK T 3000 &apos;Espace Station&apos; Grand Diaphragme Studio Microphone À Condensateur | eBay

...but understand, Kris is the North American distributor, so you're buying direct rather from a re-seller...
Old 12th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...those Chinese sites generally have outlandishly high retail prices, so not really relevant...this is more realistic:
iSK Pro Audio = Low End Heaven ?ISK T 3000 &apos;Espace Station&apos; Grand Diaphragme Studio Microphone À Condensateur | eBay

...but understand, Kris is the North American distributor, so you're buying direct rather from a re-seller...
while I agree this might be true for imported gear in China, there is no reason for that for local brands...and in this case there are 20 authorized resellers with the exact same price, and the same number with a higher price...

but ther might be some other reason..

Isk used to have an official store, but its gone now. Alctron and takstar (desheng) are the only pro audio companies having an official store, a part from some boutique manufacturer (example Maye)
Old 12th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
while I agree this might be true for imported gear in China, there is no reason for that for local brands...and in this case there are 20 authorized resellers with the exact same price, and the same number with a higher price...

but ther might be some other reason..
...from my experience, it seems not uncommon for China-manufactured products that are specifically earmarked for export to retail for considerably more in China than they do in the markets to which they are exported...not sure why that's the case...
Old 13th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...from my experience, it seems not uncommon for China-manufactured products that are specifically earmarked for export to retail for considerably more in China than they do in the markets to which they are exported...not sure why that's the case...
I dont think its the case here though, ISK has been here for long and its the first time I see them mentionned here. The difference usually comes from factories that dont have licence to produce for the China market, only for export, and in that case to be able to sell in China it needs to do a U turn (first export then import) and then need to pay import taxes.

So whats maybe happening here is that they are producing for another brand for export (blue ?) and use this factory to produce these higher end microphones. But if thats the case, then the added price would probably be 50% and not as high as 300%...
Old 13th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dont think its the case here though, ISK has been here for long and its the first time I see them mentionned here. The difference usually comes from factories that dont have licence to produce for the China market, only for export, and in that case to be able to sell in China it needs to do a U turn (first export then import) and then need to pay import taxes.

So whats maybe happening here is that they are producing for another brand for export (blue ?) and use this factory to produce these higher end microphones. But if thats the case, then the added price would probably be 50% and not as high as 300%...
...I started a thread years ago discussing the Shengke/TongXin factories in eastern China and their house brand iSK...the conversation got very heated when a certain popular mic modder (who was sourcing his capsules from them) got into an extended exchange with another forum member whoalso imports product from the same factory...the moderators shut down the thread, and later vaporized it...but all of this was discussed in depth...that factory was the source for KEL Audio, AKG Perception, etc...I was beta-testing product from them for another brand and was pretty familiar with their line...definitely one of the better quality manufacturers in the Ningbo district...I still have some of the prototype mics...
Old 14th January 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by heva View Post
Anbody knowing the noise level of the 'little gem'?
Ah, found it: 24dB.

LittleGem = CM10

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search