The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iSK Pro Audio = Low End Heaven ?
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
It seems like the release of the 2B Beauty MKII has been delayed a bit too.

@ Kris.15Khz would love to hear any updates on this as well!

-Mike
I emailed Kris last week and he projected a late September release. Something to do with factory upgrades. Either way, im looking forward to this mic showing up.

Last edited by dranzangos; 28th August 2019 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Date
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranzangos View Post
I emailed Kris last week and he projected a late September release. Something to do with factory upgrades. Either way, im looking forward to this mic showing up.
Cool, thanks!

-Mike
Old 16th September 2019
Here for the gear

Two questions:

First - I'm a bit unclear on availability for some of the ISK mics. If a mic is sold out, is it gone forever or do they do regular production runs?

Second - specifically for drum overheads, would the Pearl or Little Gem be a better option?
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut

I picked up two ICDM mics and two Pearls, as it wasn't much more than buying one new SM58.

The ICDMs are going to be used for podcast vocals (where dynamics are preferred, as the room is untreated, etc.).

The Pearls are meant for acoustic guitar, but likely other duties as well.

Initial thoughts:

- Both pairs performed well for my intended purposes.
- Both feel and look good (not cheap)
- Though the rolloff and pad switches on the Pearls do feel very, very week and cheap (not firm at all. wasn't sure if I was going to break them).
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGill View Post
Two questions:

First - I'm a bit unclear on availability for some of the ISK mics. If a mic is sold out, is it gone forever or do they do regular production runs?

Second - specifically for drum overheads, would the Pearl or Little Gem be a better option?
iSK are a bit all over the place in regards to consistent market supply. When it comes down to it, iSK is the Home Brand for a company supplying products to other manufacturers that sometimes sells products under its own label.

Case in point. I own an iSK CM-60 mic which is a battery powered pencil condenser mic which I find very useful indeed. I went to buy myself a second one only to find that iSK isn't listing/selling them. I did a little looking around and found the exact same mic now being sold as a Tascam TM-60 but at double the price.

Moral of the story I guess is that if you find a geat iSK mic at a great price then buy it now before another company puts their own name on it and doubles the price.

Another example is the iSK Little Gem which was also being sold as a GAP FC-4. EDIT: OK, the FC-4 isn't exactly the same as the Little Gem yet its close enough that I'm of the view that its not being sold now in order to not cannibalise sales from some other very similar mics.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 3 weeks ago at 07:25 AM..
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear
Regarding the availability of iSK microphones. I actually live just a few kilometres from Swamp Industries in Canberra, Australia who are distributors for iSK so I go into their showroom/warehouse in person to buy things and have a chat every now and then.
I've asked them about buying a Pearl mic and when they might be back in stock and mentioned to them that the Pearl is a highly regarded and in demand mic and their reply was that they can get them if they decide to negotiate with iSK about buying enough of them wholesale to make it worth iSK while to do a run.

I get the sense that iSK isn't really that concerned about promoting its own house brand as it's iSK's business model to do manufacturing runs in response to wholesaler/customer demand.

EDIT: See next post for an update.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 17th September 2019 at 06:18 AM..
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear
OK, well I just went and had a chat with one of the guys at Swamp and asked them about the Little Gem and the Pearl.
The short answer is that they do know that they are popular yet they CAN'T get them at the moment.
I encouraged the guy to come to the forum and represent themselves. I will quickly pass on the answer that iSK will no longer sell them the Little Gem.
I believe that this is because the Little Gem is now being sold as a Golden Age Project FC-4 MC and that GAP have an exclusive arrangement on them. The GAP FC-4 MC is known on this forum and is well regarded. A little more expensive of course but still great value.
They have ordered the Pearl (in Australia it has a different name. Pearl is the US name) yet there are holdups in its delivery.
Hopefully someone from Swamp will join the conversation in the near future.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 17th September 2019 at 06:31 AM..
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
OK, well I just went and had a chat with one of the guys at Swamp and asked them about the Little Gem and the Pearl.
The short answer is that they do know that they are popular yet they CAN'T get them at the moment.
I encouraged the guy to come to the forum and represent themselves. I will quickly pass on the answer that iSK will no longer sell them the Little Gem.
I believe that this is because the Little Gem is now being sold as a Golden Age Project FC-4 MC and that GAP have an exclusive arrangement on them. The GAP FC-4 MC is known on this forum and is well regarded. A little more expensive of course but still great value.
They have ordered the Pearl (in Australia it has a different name. Pearl is the US name) yet there are holdups in its delivery.
Hopefully someone from Swamp will join the conversation in the near future.
I don't think it has anything to do with Golden Age. LyxPro and Neewer also sell the iSK CM-10 (the Little Gem before Kris gave it the import name), as the SDPC-2 and NW-410 respectively. I'm not sure whether or not they're filled with the high quality film capacitors of the iSK branded mics, but on paper their specs are identical to the Little Gem.

iSK is the manufacturer of the mics, and Swamp Industries, iSK Pro Audio, and a couple other stores sell them under the iSK brand. But I believe they're also sold to companies like Tascam, Lyxpro, maybe Neewer but it's one of the companies selling the cheap BM-700/800 knock offs (I haven't seen the insides of the NW-410 yet so I don't know if it's a cheap knock off or not), and other companies that sell rebranded mics, who then sell to another distributor, who then sells to the consumer for a profit.

But Swamp not being able to get them doesn't necessarily mean the mics are no longer manufactured. The factory might just not be able to accommodate their orders, in addition to the existing ones. Kris's store, iSK Pro Audio is out of stock too, but they were out of stock last year when I was looking for a Little Gem, and it took about a month to for them to get more in. I don't know how big Swamp Industries is, but when you're buying from a small independent store like iSK Pro Audio, you have to expect there to be shortages because they don't have the resources of national chains that have dozens of stores.

iSK's Chinese site has undergone some massive changes and they list very few of the mics we all like that Kris sells.

I'm sure Kris will chime in and tell us if the Little Gem is permanently discontinued or not. I'm hoping they're not because they're nice mics, and I like supporting smaller businesses when I can, rather than buying the Tascam branded versions which cost a lot more.

The only thing I'd change about the Little Gems is adding a capacitor to roll off the high end a bit(I'd actually pay someone to add this to my Little Gems and maybe Pearls). But it's not a big deal as you can EQ it in post.

Edit: I'd actually change the slotted grille out for one of the normal mesh grilles you see on the Pearl, Oktava MK-012, and a lot of other SDCs.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 17th September 2019 at 09:34 AM..
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear
I'm absolutely not claiming that they aren't being made. I'm saying that they are now being sold only under an exclusive arrangement through another company.

I know that this has happened with the iSK CM-60 now only being sold as a Tascam CM-60. Sometimes there well may be some overlap with older stock iSK mic's still being available while a newer brand has come to market yet once the old stock is gone its gone.

I just did a quick search for the CM-10's and it looks like an earlier variant of the Little Gem without the pad and high pass switches.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 17th September 2019 at 08:35 AM..
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear

This all makes a lot of sense; the only UK distributor for ISK said they wouldn't be stocking the Pearl or Little Gem (no further info provided) but guess what, you can buy a pair of GAP FC-4 from them for £169.

The Neewer connection is interesting - a matched pair of the NW-410 is £69. Only alternative would be ordering a pair of Pearl from ISK and using a freight forwarder. Has anyone bought the Neewer and looked inside?
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear

@ AnthonyG What is the name of the Pearl on the Swamp site? That's viable for me too as their shipping to UK is reasonable.
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
@ AnthonyG What is the name of the Pearl on the Swamp site? That's viable for me too as their shipping to UK is reasonable.
The name of the Pearl outside North America is the iSK BM-88.
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
I'm absolutely not claiming that they aren't being made. I'm saying that they are now being sold only under an exclusive arrangement through another company.

I know that this has happened with the iSK CM-60 now only being sold as a Tascam CM-60. Sometimes there well may be some overlap with older stock iSK mic's still being available while a newer brand has come to market yet once the old stock is gone its gone.

I just did a quick search for the CM-10's and it looks like an earlier variant of the Little Gem without the pad and high pass switches.
The Golden Age mic you mentioned is very different from the Little Gem. The Little Gem doesn't have a pad or high pass filter, and it's capsule construction is different, and the acoustic vents are on the capsules of the Little Gem, not the body. The specs are very different too. The only thing I see in common is the slotted grille you see on a lot of cheaper SDCs.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
The name of the Pearl outside North America is the iSK BM-88.
Yes its a BM-88 although Swamp don't have them either right now. They expect them in the future.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
The Golden Age mic you mentioned is very different from the Little Gem. The Little Gem doesn't have a pad or high pass filter, and it's capsule construction is different, and the acoustic vents are on the capsules of the Little Gem, not the body. The specs are very different too. The only thing I see in common is the slotted grille you see on a lot of cheaper SDCs.
The little Gem equivalent s the FC-4 MC. MC standing for multi capsule and that looks just like a Little Gem. Your right though that the Little Gem doesn't have the Pad and High Pass.
I still believe that the similarities is the reason why its now being sold only as a GAP FC-4 MC.

Yes there is an FC-4 model without multiple capsules so I should have been clearer.
Old 17th September 2019
Anybody ever try the custom order option on iSK Pro Audio's site? I'm not sure if it means Kris will get a specific mic not usually sold, or what it's supposed to mean.
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
The little Gem equivalent s the FC-4 MC. MC standing for multi capsule and that looks just like a Little Gem. Your right though that the Little Gem doesn't have the Pad and High Pass.
I still believe that the similarities is the reason why its now being sold only as a GAP FC-4 MC.

Yes there is an FC-4 model without multiple capsules so I should have been clearer.
The FC-4 MC is still very different. All of the differences I pointed out also exist for it.
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear

Swamp list both the Pearl and the BM-88. BM-88 is $20 AU more expensive.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Swamp list both the Pearl and the BM-88. BM-88 is $20 AU more expensive.
Yes I asked them about that because it confused me too. Apparently they only got 4 Pearl's in total and when they were gone they were gone. They only expect to get BM-88's in the future. Hopefully.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Two questions:

Do NOT hesitate on the iSK pearl’s!
I use one frequently as a drum phat mic and without the pad it handles my metal rumming.

It sounds absolutely stellar to the point thAt I have lowerd my close mic gain anout -6db. It has a GREAT sound.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Anybody tried the tdm1 on kick ? I m wondering if it could do the job.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagwagon06 View Post
Anybody tried the tdm1 on kick ? I m wondering if it could do the job.
it probably sounds like a 57 in there.. maybe if you goose the eq you'll get what you want
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Man... I've been waiting on the new iSK Vibrato so long it's insane. Any updates on the delayed shipment @ Kris.15Khz ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by whenkensavedthe View Post
Man... I've been waiting on the new iSK Vibrato so long it's insane. Any updates on the delayed shipment @ Kris.15Khz ?

In a response email a little bit ago, Kris said this: “I actually don't have much information about this mic. What I do know is that the capsule is a 18mm pure aluminum true condenser (not back electret), and the sound quality out performs the BM-900. It will come with a shockmount, and pop filter. It's grey in color, and the exterior design is like a miniature U87. You had previously asked about modding the BM-900, and I think the Vibrato might be a even better candidate.”

I don’t think he’d mind me posting this. It’s just general info that helps boost awareness for this product.

I for one am very happy to see it’s a smaller sized diaphragm and apparently made of a different material than the standards. Reminds me of a combo of what Kel did with small diaphragms and what SE Electronics is doing with metallergy and capsule development.

In terms of the body shape - the mini ‘87 most likely will be that of an iSK BM-900 or BM-800. The one that looks like the Mic Parts S-25, the Roswell K47, iSK BM-800, etc...

I’m surprised it’s not an electret capsule as the BM-900 uses one, and the capsule not being gold or platinum makes me think of an electric capsule?

Also - cannot say this enough - the iSK Pearl placed above your kick drum and pointed barely down to your knees/almost the pedal’s beater with the capsule’s trajectory aimed diagonally towards your snare drum. Do that ****. Do that and put up a stereo OH mic pair, a snare mic and a kick mic. 5 mic’s total. You’ll be astounded. In fact, I’m buying 2 more Pearl’s to see if they can record my kick drum , the center of my kit, and the snare, and leave the OH’s to my OPR 84’s, or CAD D82 ribbon/CAD M39 USA Mid-Side Stereo set up pair.

That’s all for now, folks!

Last edited by GreySlothStudio; 2 weeks ago at 05:10 AM.. Reason: Adding cool shhtuff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search