All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iSK Pro Audio = Low End Heaven ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Anyone mentioned the BM4000? Any good?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by daps83 View Post
How would any of these isk mics perform in a podcasting scenario? Can they compete against the best out there like the sm7b, Heil PR-40, Rode mics etc? Seems crazy to ask that about cheap mics but seems like you all really think these are amazing bang for buck.
They'd perform very well. You could make a pro recording with iSK mics if you know what you're doing (and if you don't, not even a U87 would help you).

iSK's stuff is better than Rode IMO. The Pearl gets really close to the KM184 sound, and is noticeably better than the NT5, and I've heard the Little Gem compared to the NT5 as well and it wasn't too bad either (Pearl beats the cardioid capsule of the Little Gem IMO). The new Rode NT1 is a pretty decent mic, but if you're looking at the NT1-A or older NT1, pretty much any of the large diaphragm iSK mics would be better IMO.

If you don't mind the mic visible, use either the 2B Beauty or ICDM (very clean sounding dynamic, I'd pick it over a lot of Shure dynamics), you could boom the Pearl out of frame or have it in frame. iSK used to make shotgun mics as well, but they're not available anymore. The only reason I got the Rode NTG2 is because iSK's shotgun mics aren't available at the licensed retailers anymore.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I bought a pair of ICDMs a while back, and while they sound good to me, I have been noticing(especially lately) that for some reason they have quite alot of handling noise, especially compared to a SM58. It is fine if they are used on a stand and not touched, but being hand handled they seem quite noisy. I don't know why, maybe it is just the pair I received. Does anyone else notice this?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepingsydney View Post
I bought a pair of ICDMs a while back, and while they sound good to me, I have been noticing(especially lately) that for some reason they have quite alot of handling noise, especially compared to a SM58. It is fine if they are used on a stand and not touched, but being hand handled they seem quite noisy. I don't know why, maybe it is just the pair I received. Does anyone else notice this?
welcome to GS

and yes ..thats my issue aswell
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

This thread has really piqued my interest, though everytime someone raves about a certain model, it's sold out on the site. Haven't seen any on reverb or ebay even.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
So, has anyone have any experience with the BM4000? May be Kris can comment?

Last edited by Mr Funk; 2 weeks ago at 11:41 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Punishment View Post
This thread has really piqued my interest, though everytime someone raves about a certain model, it's sold out on the site. Haven't seen any on reverb or ebay even.
Are you speaking on my quick comments on the now sold out BM-900?
If so - Kris is (I have communicated with him via email so this is official) replacing that model with a newer one with, quote him, a different and better capsule. It will be called the Vibrato.
Here is his take on the upcoming release:

“18mm pure aluminum true condenser (not back electret), and the sound quality out performs the BM-900. It will come with a shockmount, and pop filter. It's grey in color, and the exterior design is like a miniature U87.”

@ Kris - if this information is private and to be just between the two of us, Let me know and I will take this down.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have the lesser-known/talked-about RM12 on the way (active ribbon mic).
I'm really excited about this particular mic, partly due to all the hubbub on Recording Hacks' website, and their 60,000 dollar ribbon mic shootout they did..

I own both the Cascade Victor, and their Vin-Jet ribbons, all with Lundahl Transformers, but I have a hunch, just looking at the FR charts, that the RM12 is going to be a great mic...

I shall report back with sound clips...

*Also* I've heard ribbons with...and without, the Lunds.. difference is quite eye-opening...

Last edited by 3rdstone; 2 weeks ago at 03:10 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
I have the lesser-known/talked-about RM12 on the way (active ribbon mic).
I'm really excited about this particular mic, partly due to all the hubbub on Recording Hacks' website, and their 60,000 dollar ribbon mic shootout they did..

I own both the Cascade Victor, and their Vin-Jet ribbons, all with Lundahl Transformers, but I have a hunch, just looking at the FR charts, that the RM12 is going to be a great mic...

I shall report back with sound clips...

*Also* I've heard ribbons with...and without, the Lunds.. difference is quite eye-opening...
always thought the Vin-Jet sounds really good. I think the LRM-2 (not heard the new version) is just as good though and I think is cheaper. I like the LRM-2 without the Lundahl as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySlothStudio View Post
Are you speaking on my quick comments on the now sold out BM-900?
If so - Kris is (I have communicated with him via email so this is official) replacing that model with a newer one with, quote him, a different and better capsule. It will be called the Vibrato.
Here is his take on the upcoming release:

“18mm pure aluminum true condenser (not back electret), and the sound quality out performs the BM-900. It will come with a shockmount, and pop filter. It's grey in color, and the exterior design is like a miniature U87.”

@ Kris - if this information is private and to be just between the two of us, Let me know and I will take this down.
More specifically about the Starlight, and the BDM-1. Just seems like they're a bit hard to track down.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Punishment View Post
While the (un)availability is an inconvenience, the part of your comment I bolded and colored, should tell you something about how many folks want to part with their ISK stuff...

(I know I'm not eager to sell anything I've purchased from Kris, I use this stuff ...every day..)

BTW, the RM12 active ribbon I ordered was delivered today, I prefer it over my Cascade ribbons, mostly due to its high-end resolution compared to the 'cades' ..but there's a heightened amount of harmonic content as well, which may or may-not suite certain folks depending on what they're looking for... (personally, I find ribbons to be too sterile-sounding, so this is a welcome thing for me..)

I'll post comparison clips soon, if that's cool with Kris (lemme know if it's not, yea?)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
While the (un)availability is an inconvenience, the part of your comment I bolded and colored, should tell you something about how many folks want to part with their ISK stuff...

(I know I'm not eager to sell anything I've purchased from Kris, I use this stuff ...every day..)

BTW, the RM12 active ribbon I ordered was delivered today, I prefer it over my Cascade ribbons, mostly due to its high-end resolution compared to the 'cades' ..but there's a heightened amount of harmonic content as well, which may or may-not suite certain folks depending on what they're looking for... (personally, I find ribbons to be too sterile-sounding, so this is a welcome thing for me..)

I'll post comparison clips soon, if that's cool with Kris (lemme know if it's not, yea?)
I take it as a positive sign that they're tough to get ahold of. I'd like to buy some of these models but simply cannot! LOL
Old 4 days ago
Just ordered the iSK ICDM as a voiceover audition/travel/emergency recording mic. I really like the sound samples I've heard of it, it doesn't have that muddy muffled sound I hate about the SM58 and a lot of other cheap handheld dynamics.

I really wish that Kris offered a multipattern FET LDC, something like the BM-600 but with better components (it's actually got some quality parts already, but the HF attenuation capacitor could be higher capacitance, and a transformer upgrade might be good too). I'd order a ton of them in a heartbeat.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search