The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me buy my son a $750 studio
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Addict

Lessons- great!

OP- you said you used to record right? So surely you must have a cheap moving coil dynamic around and possibly an old mixer?

All you need is something to pass audio. That's it.
In fact I like the idea of the cassette recorder for someone who is truly serious about a singing career.
The next step would obviously be to for him to develop his stage presence and audience interaction. WAY more important than a Scarlett this or condenser that.

If you want to do what most do these days, and sink a bunch of cash into recording someone when they are STILL IN THE BEGINNING STAGES OF THEIR CRAFT then by all means go for it.
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhausdisco View Post
... I like the idea of the cassette recorder for someone who is truly serious about a singing career.
Me too. And I just typed this post on my IBM Selectric. :-)
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

A lot of advice, but TBH, I think the OP has done a good job of research and has come up with good products that will work well. There will always be something better and as Gearslutz we all know that our lust for better gear doesn't end. Enjoy the journey!
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleCharlie View Post
I don't do music these days, but surprise, my ninth grade son is in choir and has been told he's the best in his class. Its only natural I invest in his talent.
So far I've gotten a new loaded laptop and Sonar artist. What I'm looking for now are recommendations on a mic, interface and headphones with a $750 budget. I have an old Sweetwater credit card and don't want to use more than that.
Some mic options I've been considering are the sm7b, se2200, nt1 and at4040. Interface options are a scarlett solo if I want to go budget or the Tascam uh7000 which really has my curiosity. Headphones are no biggie, there's quite a few, srh440, akg k240 or athm40x, that should be fine, but it needs to be in the budget.
All advice would be greatly appreciated!!
after reading the thread, it sounds like you have made some choices and finding some bargains. if you've got a home theatre room that is treated, you can use your main speakers and have fun mixing in there with your son. sounds like a fulfilling way to spend time with a son. the gear is a rabbit-hole. for some it is tools that they know they need to work with. others seem to have lots of disposable cash. for others, it is seen as what needs to be bought because it will maybe compensate for a lack of talent (and they probably have not admitted that to themselves yet). a modern interface, a DAW and a reasonable multi-patterned LDC and you can have lots of fun with your son. you can't put a financial value on that.
Old 17th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Ronin View Post
Considering he destroyed his voice and can't even sing his own songs anymore; yeah I'd say so..

Yeah, there was a big market for bouffants prancing around with chest hair rugs in the seventies...so what.
If the goal here is rejecting great music and calling names, you're on your own. Like Bukowski said, you don't understand it, so you attack it. All good. I deal with it everyday, it doesn't change a thing. The people who bought 300 million of his albums fortunately did not require your clearance.
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is indeed partly for me, which explains the gearsluttiness lol, also, in addition to being in choir,

still under your budget

your mic 200
ART Pro Channel II 175.00 on ebay for 175 true high voltage plate tube channel strip
or a art voice channel
or a used PreSonus Eureka for 270.00
2i2 120.00

still leaves more then enough for headphones pop filter and stand and you come away with a outboard preamp, compresor, equalizer, DI that will be better then anything on an interface.

Last edited by doulos30; 17th September 2015 at 09:33 PM..
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

This message board is for people who are asking advice. After all the advice is given, it is up to be OP to decide what is best for them. I think that a lot of people on this forum are so passionate about their advice, that they get mad when their advice isn't taken. Your advice may be the best out there, but in the end it's the OP that makes the decision on how they are going to spend their money, not someone else
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
This message board is for people who are asking advice. After all the advice is given, it is up to be OP to decide what is best for them. I think that a lot of people on this forum are so passionate about their advice, that they get mad when their advice isn't taken. Your advice may be the best out there, but in the end it's the OP that makes the decision on how they are going to spend their money, not someone else
this is true, but it's frustrating when you yourself have been down the road they are on and found what is lacking with it and are trying to keep them from avoiding the same mistakes.
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 View Post
this is true, but it's frustrating when you yourself have been down the road they are on and found what is lacking with it and are trying to keep them from avoiding the same mistakes.
That is true. Like you said, we have made the same mistakes and don't want to see others make the same. Believe me, I have been through some bad synths choices. It is interesting to note, that what one individual may consider a piece of gear that is absolute bliss can be viewed by another as just a piece of crap. Sometimes it is just a matter of preference. There is really great advice on these forums, and GS members have helped me make some very good choices but there is also some really bad advice too. Sometimes it is hard to sort out what is good advice and what is absolute BS. In the end you have to make the best choice given what you have, whether good or bad.

Last edited by jaxman12; 18th September 2015 at 12:36 AM..
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Milner View Post
If the goal here is rejecting great music and calling names, you're on your own. Like Bukowski said, you don't understand it, so you attack it. All good. I deal with it everyday, it doesn't change a thing. The people who bought 300 million of his albums fortunately did not require your clearance.

This nonsense about album sales etc., has nothing to do with Robert Plant destroying his voice.

There's no need to pretend you are some kind of pseudo intellectual by posturing around some oft quote. We get it, you are a fan....that's not what we are talking about.

There's a reason he cannot do the reunion, and the reason is not Jason. The reason is, he simply cannot hit the notes.

That is why he does Led Zeppelin covers in his own groups, where they can rearrange to suit.

This example goes against what you attempting to claim. Robert Plant certainly lost the signature sound of the early albums and he had to compensate throughout his later career. If he had vocal coaching he would still have the capabilities of that voice on the early records.

I admire his integrity for not putting on a sub-par reunion.

Anyway, enough thread jacking. Bottom line is when they need to perform vocal surgery on you, that is a pretty good example. No need for the phony rock and roll machismo, many of these guys really paid the price and regretted it.
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Head

So the craziest thing happened today. I got Facebook messaged from an old coworker of mine who coincidentally wants to put together a studio for her teenage son who raps lol. She asked me if it was worth $650 to buy Pro Tools 11 since that's what he wanted. Long story short (Going to get him Reaper), her budget was $1,000, but she also wanted to compensate me for my trouble and asked my help in setting it all up when it's delivered. I told her how I was doing the same and that if she wanted to help me, just make a small donation toward the $300 iD14. She dropped off the money in a bank envelope after I told her I could set him up for $800 (bluebird, 2i2, lsr305,etc) and to my surprise, she gave me THE WHOLE $300! After the discounts, deals and gratefulness, I'm now able to get my son (and myself hehe) a MXL v69xm, Audient iD14, and a pair of Shure SRH440 headphones for a whopping $200 out of pocket. Man oh man, life is crazy sometimes. I will most definitely make sure her son is all set up and then some. PS, thank you to EVERYBODY who contributed to this thread, even those guys who kept going at each other!
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
So the craziest thing happened today. I got Facebook messaged from an old coworker of mine who coincidentally wants to put together a studio for her teenage son who raps lol. She asked me if it was worth $650 to buy Pro Tools 11 since that's what he wanted. Long story short (Going to get him Reaper), her budget was $1,000, but she also wanted to compensate me for my trouble and asked my help in setting it all up when it's delivered. I told her how I was doing the same and that if she wanted to help me, just make a small donation toward the $300 iD14. She dropped off the money in a bank envelope after I told her I could set him up for $800 (bluebird, 2i2, lsr305,etc) and to my surprise, she gave me THE WHOLE $300! After the discounts, deals and gratefulness, I'm now able to get my son (and myself hehe) a MXL v69xm, Audient iD14, and a pair of Shure SRH440 headphones for a whopping $200 out of pocket. Man oh man, life is crazy sometimes. I will most definitely make sure her son is all set up and then some. PS, thank you to EVERYBODY who contributed to this thread, even those guys who kept going at each other!
ok for 1000 bucks please tell me your not going to get a rapper a bluebird mic!
come on man that is a very silibant mic and rap is straight ssssss and ttttt city

go open up a desser and see where the frequency for deessing starts

a rap chain is only 1 channel 1 mic 1 pre or channel strip thats it the mic is circuital to the sound quality even if you only want to spend 200 on a mic the bluebird is not the one! your better off with a mxl v67g will sound loads better and it's 100 cheaper

listen to the ss and tt please

Help me buy my son a 0 studiohttp://www.ebay.com/itm/MXL-Genesis-...item20fd25ff59

Last edited by doulos30; 18th September 2015 at 04:32 AM..
Old 18th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Ronin View Post

This nonsense about album sales etc., has nothing to do with Robert Plant destroying his voice.

There's no need to pretend you are some kind of pseudo intellectual by posturing around some oft quote. We get it, you are a fan....that's not what we are talking about.

There's a reason he cannot do the reunion, and the reason is not Jason. The reason is, he simply cannot hit the notes.

That is why he does Led Zeppelin covers in his own groups, where they can rearrange to suit.

This example goes against what you attempting to claim. Robert Plant certainly lost the signature sound of the early albums and he had to compensate throughout his later career. If he had vocal coaching he would still have the capabilities of that voice on the early records.

I admire his integrity for not putting on a sub-par reunion.

Anyway, enough thread jacking. Bottom line is when they need to perform vocal surgery on you, that is a pretty good example. No need for the phony rock and roll machismo, many of these guys really paid the price and regretted it.
Why would someone pretend to be a pseudo intellectual? If they were going to make the effort to pretend to be someone wouldn't they just pretend to be an intellectual?
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Addict

It's hilarious that Corey goes on and on about how raw talent is king, but he markets himself as a guitar instructor.
Quit tainting the talent, man!!
;-)
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's awesome, you were in the perfect spot to help her out and it was worth at least $300 to her. Karma is... do right and it will do right by you! Congrats!
Old 18th September 2015
Here for the gear

I would like to add this advice, If your interest is with improving your son's vocal ability then of course, a nice mic, lots of practice and help etc will help him to develop a powerful voice.

HOWEVER,

If your interest is with helping your son to achieve a skill level of recording his own audio and creating nice sounding audios on his own, it is more important he has access to things like pre-amps' e.q.s, compressors etc, which would mean (to me) that the actual mic is of no real substance (especially if your budget is $750) a $50 USB mic would suffice and would enable you to buy things like better pre amps which will have a bigger impact on the sound.

Best of luck to both you!
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Times Ahead View Post
I would like to add this advice, If your interest is with improving your son's vocal ability then of course, a nice mic, lots of practice and help etc will help him to develop a powerful voice.

HOWEVER,

If your interest is with helping your son to achieve a skill level of recording his own audio and creating nice sounding audios on his own, it is more important he has access to things like pre-amps' e.q.s, compressors etc, which would mean (to me) that the actual mic is of no real substance (especially if your budget is $750) a $50 USB mic would suffice and would enable you to buy things like better pre amps which will have a bigger impact on the sound.

Best of luck to both you!
this is why I hate giving advice here

a $50 USB mic runs off of usb you can't run it into a better preamp or compressor or eq cause the output is usb
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Addict

good times ahead said, "a $50 USB mic would suffice and would enable you to buy things like better pre amps which will have a bigger impact on the sound"

This is why you really have to dig on this particular site for good info.
Wrong wrong wrong
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's hilarious that Corey goes on and on about how raw talent is king, but he markets himself as a guitar instructor.
Quit tainting the talent, man!!
;-)
I had a girlfriend who taught voice to kids with no talent. Presently, I know an oddly large number of people who "teach" voiceover to people who have zero knack for it and will never make a dime off of it. I used to think this was at least morally questionable. But I've come to realize that most of these students are fairly aware of where they belong in the food chain, and just like taking lessons and putting in the work and getting a little better. Whether it's music or golf or tae kwon do. I don't see a problem.
Old 20th September 2015
Here for the gear

I am proud to say that the core meaning of what I was saying was something extremely TRUE and was along the lines of a very famous saying "don't put all of your eggs in one basket".

Thank you for making it clearer than I did that a USB mic does not go into a Pre-amp, I should have included that info, so thank you for including it for me. But the main point I was trying to make was if you have a $750 budget don't go and spend $300-$500 of your budget on a mic like others before me in this thread were saying.

So once again thanks for including that extra bit of info! But i definitely wasn't "Wrong Wrong Wrong"
Old 20th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Lessons- great!

OP- you said you used to record right? So surely you must have a cheap moving coil dynamic around and possibly an old mixer?

All you need is something to pass audio. That's it.
In fact I like the idea of the cassette recorder for someone who is truly serious about a singing career.
The next step would obviously be to for him to develop his stage presence and audience interaction. WAY more important than a Scarlett this or condenser that.

If you want to do what most do these days, and sink a bunch of cash into recording someone when they are STILL IN THE BEGINNING STAGES OF THEIR CRAFT then by all means go for it.
I must say though dub haus disco I absolutely love your idea of a cassette recorder if somebody is serious. "sink a bunch of cash into recording someone when they are STILL IN THE BEGINNING STAGES OF THEIR CRAFT" was similar to the point I was trying to make, but must say I really like and respect your idea there about a cassette recorder!
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Times Ahead View Post
I am proud to say that the core meaning of what I was saying was something extremely TRUE and was along the lines of a very famous saying "don't put all of your eggs in one basket".

Thank you for making it clearer than I did that a USB mic does not go into a Pre-amp, I should have included that info, so thank you for including it for me. But the main point I was trying to make was if you have a $750 budget don't go and spend $300-$500 of your budget on a mic like others before me in this thread were saying.

So once again thanks for including that extra bit of info! But i definitely wasn't "Wrong Wrong Wrong"
sorry but yah you still are wrong wrong no offense. the mic is the single most important part of capturing a signal other then the source and acoustics.

mics vary in gain needs and some tube mics only need 20-30db of gain hard to get a massive sonic difference from that as your not pushing anything and most THD Levels happen at the highest gain settings. Like pushing dynamics and things add to that the fact the average clean recorded mic signal only needs to be -18 to around -12 db in volume mic pres really are a minute change in the sonics of a track vs the mic it's self so yah your still wrong and now you know why!
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Tape recorders? USB mics? I'm sorry but no. Im going to have to respectfully disagree. Mics are pretty dam important in the signal chain in terms of quality, articulation, and even audio aesthetics such as 2nd order harmonics, etc. It can make the difference between a dull, 2D, flat sounding boring vocal with no life vs a full body/girth, 3D, full of life and articulation. I can promise you you will won't get anything close to that on a USB mic. That's something you get if you want to podcast on YouTube. NOT for your son who you want to inspire and encourage their singing talent. Just my .02 cents.

I think the OP made a great purchase decision btw.
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Head

Update! So now that we've been set up for a day (i5 quad core pc laptop, Sonar artist, id14, srh440 headphones) and have done a few test runs, we actually really prefer the bluebird over the v69xm! I remember someone saying it was horrible for hip hop (which is what I did/do) but on both me and my son it just sounds fuller as the mxl sounds hollow. Thoughts on this?

Last edited by UncleCharlie; 24th September 2015 at 01:18 PM..
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Update! So now that we've been set up for a day (i5 quad core pc laptop, Sonar artist, id14, srh440 headphones) and have done a few test runs, we actually really prefer the bluebird over the v69xm! I remember someone saying it was horrible for hip hop (which is what I did/do) but on both me and my son it just sounds fuller as the mxl sounds hollow. Thoughts on this?
If it sounds good, it is. Voice and mic pairings are as personal as the voices they capture, so what may have been horrible for someone else may work brilliantly for you and your son. There are no hip hop / screamer / <genre> microphones (see my comments on the SM7B), so trust your ears and get on with the music!

Congrats on getting your gear set up and running!
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear

Also, monitoring under headphones won't give you an accurate sound. If you record using headphones, make sure you playback on a good set of monitors.
Old 25th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
Also, monitoring under headphones won't give you an accurate sound. If you record using headphones, make sure you playback on a good set of monitors.
I've already been considering a pair of lsr305s lol. They're great monitors for the money imo. I was also considering the possibility of a pre but honestly these pres are so good I doubt I'd find better unless I spent over a grand which isn't happening.
Old 15th October 2015
Gear Nut

A studio is going to sound like the weakest link in the monitor path. Work from the outside in by investing in higher quality microphones and monitors first as these are less likely to be upgraded overtime. Audio interfaces and software are evolving at a faster rate. If he's totally new to recording, I prefer Bitwig. It is one of the most intelligently designed, user friendly, and powerful DAWS on the market with a roadmap that addresses major changes in music technology on the horizon (syncing multiple sessions, online collaboration, etc...). There is a super sweet deal available while supplies last that bundles a full version of Bitwig with an Arturia Keylab controller (25, 49, or 61 keys) as well as a bunch of virtual instruments. Great value and a good starting point. Depending on how he wants to expand, consider the I/O options of the interface. Arturia is about to release the Audio Fuse which looks to be a very promising interface in both specs and features. Headphones, Monitors, and mics should be shopped for in person as sound is very subjective and you want to audition a few options in your price range before making a decision.
Old 17th October 2015
Sennheiser HD280
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 for starters. They're brighter, but a great A/B with headphones.
Focusrite Interface
Free ProTools One or GarageBand or other lite software... depends on what platform you're running, how he prefers to make music.
Used MIDI controller on Craigslist.
And either an MJoly mic or maybe an Audio Technica 30 series or (I once liked) a used AKG C4000b.

All of these could be had within the 750 you've got budgeted, especially if you buy used, which is what I recommend all of the time, not just for newbies, but so the dollar gets stretched farther, and more tools can be had.

A lot of this stuff can be had on eBay, which I wouldn't hesitate to use. If this or anything like it sounds like an agreeable solution, and you need help finding anything, let me know, and I'll look up some options for you.

Awesome that you're looking after your family.

Brad

Last edited by YRLK; 17th October 2015 at 11:42 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search