The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
cheaper Shure SM-58 alternative
Old 9th September 2015
Here for the gear

cheaper Shure SM-58 alternative

Do you know of any cheaper Shure SM-58 alternative?
Something that is less than $50?

Do you think this is any good?
Samson CS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqpx0ei_5n8

What others had you tried?
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

100 bucks is probably as little as you want to spend for a reliable, good sounding handheld mic. Kind of like asking, "Toyota Yaris; is there a cheaper alternative?"

That said, the Sampson mic with changeable capsules looks like something that could possibly take a bite out of the above thinking. Reviews have been good. The instrument/vocal capsule thing is very cool. I'd love to try one, but I've got so many mics laying around, I don't need a $40 mic right now.

If you are dead broke and in need of versatile mics for live work, this looks like a viable alternative to the steadfast Shure 57 and 58. Sam Ash has a 45 day return policy. What's to lose for trying if you need it? Love to hear some hands-on reviews from slutz.
Old 9th September 2015
I run 3 rehearsal rooms and I've tried using all manner of cheap mics. Samson, Wharfdale, budget Shure, AKG.

The durability of these cheaper mics is poor. After 3 years since I opened, the only mics that I haven't had to replace are the SM58's and the AKG D880's.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding ears View Post
I run 3 rehearsal rooms and I've tried using all manner of cheap mics. Samson, Wharfdale, budget Shure, AKG.

The durability of these cheaper mics is poor. After 3 years since I opened, the only mics that I haven't had to replace are the SM58's and the AKG D880's.
I've never used cheaper than 57/58 mics, but durability certainly would be a concern, yeah. Maybe the things sound OK out of the box, but durability is where the line is drawn. And the interchangeable capsule thing is very cool, but sort of asking for trouble too.

Nice thing about these is that they are disposable at that price. For someone who's counting pennies, they could be a stopgap solution. I imagine they'll work find for a few years if you're not pounding nails.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

just find a used sm58 for $75, theyre always around.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Here you go. 58's right in your price range.
cheaper Shure SM-58 alternativehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-SM-58-...item3d02625efe

cheaper Shure SM-58 alternativehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-SM58-D...item3f53166f81

Last edited by cavern; 10th September 2015 at 03:22 AM..
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Guru

The only thing cheaper than a used SM57 or SM58 that I have found to be usable at all is old ElectroVoice mics from eBay or thrift stores. You can get 635a, RE11, DS35, 660, RE18, sometime RE15 for the price you're looking for and they're really cool and very reliable microphones.

I also find it almost unfathomable that someone can't afford a $60 SM58 or whatever, but I guess that's just the reality we're in. The bottom line keeps getting lower, which is kind of cool in a way.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear
I bought 2 AT m8000's for $20 a piece from guitar center on july 4th. Very close to 57's except hypercardioid. You can't go wrong for that price.
Old 10th September 2015
If you pour ketchup in hot water you can make "soup", sort of. And sometimes there are coins left in vending machines - check them out.
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I know you are trying to be humerous but the reality is there really are people out there who can barely string $40 together but whose passion for writing and recording is strong enough so as when they can, they will spend nearly all they have on the only equipment they can afford.
Old 10th September 2015
These are $50 if you can find them and actually decent little mics: Apex 110
Old 10th September 2015
Here for the gear

How is the Behringer XM8500?
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybegoode View Post

Samson CS

Shure Brothers Inc. PE50SP

It's a 70's Shure dynamic that was the precursor to the 58- if you take the head basket off it sounds like a slightly darker SM57. Sounds good and works like its cousins.

Not sure what country you're in, so I don't know what shipping would be like. If you're in the US, PM me and I'll ship the mic to you parcel post on my own dime. I have enough shure dynamics laying around and if things are tight and you need a solid mic I'd be happy to gift it to you. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
cheaper Shure SM-58 alternative-image_3687_0.jpg   cheaper Shure SM-58 alternative-image_1378_1.jpg  
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Nut

try the DAP alternative. DAP PL-08. Great on vocals. I have had it for over 4 years now. I use them every sunday at church for vocals. Also use it to record congas and African percussions in the studio, the best for that soughta thing after trying many mics including the expensive stuff. I record alot of the Afro stuff. I also have the samson alternatives but don't like it as much. But try both and see.
Old 10th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by old ghost View Post
Not sure what country you're in, so I don't know what shipping would be like. If you're in the US, PM me and I'll ship the mic to you parcel post on my own dime. I have enough shure dynamics laying around and if things are tight and you need a solid mic I'd be happy to gift it to you. Cheers.
Wish I could give this a thousand thumbs up. old ghost = pure class.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

It's a 70's Shure dynamic that was the precursor to the 58- if you take the head basket off it sounds like a slightly darker SM57. Sounds good and works like its cousins.

Hot damn.. That deserves a massive kudos.

I was gonna say, geez, just look for a used one... I woulda been wrong.

Cheers
Old 10th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:

I'm going to name that mic "Old Ghost" and be using it for almost everything.
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Maniac

As a fellow skint but passionate musician, this warms my heart
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Nut

devine dm58
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeff View Post
devine dm58
Is this actually any good? All I can find are foreign reviews and not a lot of detail
Old 10th September 2015
Quote:

Samson CS

I wonder.. how does one end up in Gearslutz when one can't even afford a SM-58?

Man, you best leave now before us Slutz make you feel like green with envy with gearslutz poison
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Addict

Don't overlook the SM48. I actually prefer the 48's sound to that of the 58 and it is sometimes as inexpensive as $30 on blowout sales. It does require quite a lot of gain, however.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Try the electro-voice co4's or co7's being sold for $30 at Musicians Friend...good reviews...
Old 10th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
How is the Behringer XM8500?
I bought the Behringer on a whim to test out. It's usable. Primary differences compared to an SM58 are that it definitely has a hotter output, and sounds pretty muddy in the low mids on vocals. I haven't used mine extensively, so I can't speak to durability. I think it's a serviceable mic, and a pretty decent one at that for the price.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm going to name that mic "Old Ghost" and be using it for almost everything.
Shipped, should be there on Monday. Enjoy!
Old 10th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
I would make good use of the mic to inspire others to do good!
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Way cool. Your dharma does not go unnoticed.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Grasshopper, your kindness will be repaid ten-fold. At least that's how it's supposed to work. You are a generous soul!
Old 15th September 2015
Here for the gear

Smile

Quote:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1442271835

Thank you Old Ghost!
Attached Thumbnails
cheaper Shure SM-58 alternative-dsc_0182.jpg  
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
You don't have any 1073's lying around do ya?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search