The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
cheaper Shure SM-58 alternative
Old 15th September 2015
Slight digression, but a karma and mic related incident - went to a rehearsal once with my trusty sm58 that I got for a good price new off eBay. The other singer brought his sm58 too. I don't not get on with him, but I don't really connect with the bloke either.
After the rehearsal we pack up our stuff and leave. At home, I notice there's a ding in the pop shield. I couldn't be certain if this was my sm58, but the next rehearsal was ages away, and by the time we saw each other again, I'd forgotten about the possible switch.
Fast forward a year or so, and I read up on the whole fake sm58 thing, and realise I'd probably been done when I bought mine (low price, eBay, poor quality pouch). I checked all the wiring, shape of the pop screen etc and determined that I had in my possession a true sm58, then remembered the (let's say marginally dishonest) person from the rehearsal and realised they'd unwittingly switched my cosmetically perfect dud for their slightly beaten up original. Karma?
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Nut

Orange County Speakers sells 57/58 knockoffs with neodymium diaphragms like the betas called the GLS ES57/58. Looks almost identical, actually sounds better from my experience (sounds much closer to the beta 57/58a to me) and they retail for $40 or 3/$100. Absolute steals, built like tanks, and everyone should have at least a few.
Old 1st October 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelTheFire View Post
Orange County Speakers sells 57/58 knockoffs with neodymium diaphragms like the betas called the GLS ES57/58. Looks almost identical, actually sounds better from my experience (sounds much closer to the beta 57/58a to me) and they retail for $40 or 3/$100. Absolute steals, built like tanks, and everyone should have at least a few.
man I got a couple friends that could really use that 3 pack
Old 2nd October 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
man I got a couple friends that could really use that 3 pack
Seriously, I got three as some budget tom mics back when I first started recording. Haven't felt anything close to a need to upgrade yet. Actually, I'm more tempted to get a couple more for snare since I like them more than my 57 and Unidyne III. My guess is that they're beta 57/58 clones with no marketing hype. They cut costs by not doing any advertising at all, and it seems to be working out well so far.
Old 2nd October 2015
Gear Nut

This was such a nice thread to read. Earlier in my punk years I was homeless at one point, so I know exactly how it feels like to be completely and utterly broke. Back then I still had my recording gear setup in a friends spare bedroom, which had no bed so I slept either on the floor or at various other friends places.

Anyhoo, there are alternatives to 57/58:

the t.bone MB 75 - Thomann Suomi t.bone MB75 - 33e
the t.bone MB 85 - Thomann Suomi t.bone MB85 - 19,90e
Superlux D10B - Thomann Suomi superlux D10B - 35e

There are lots of very cheap mics especially from Superlux, which are perfectly decent bang for the buck.
Old 2nd October 2015
Gear Nut

Yeah.. doesn't get much cheaper than this:

Superlux Eco 88 6pcs Pack - Thomann Suomi superlux Eco 88, 6-pack 49e
Old 17th October 2018
Superlux TM58 ..anyone tried these? fairly new ..and cheap!
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Guru
Monoprice Vocal Dynamic Mic bright but astonishingly useful and built great $15-......
Old 10th January 2019
Here for the gear

This is a great thread! Dude gives up a good vintage mic to someone in need, great stuff! I just nabbed an sm58 for 27 bucks shipped on ebay, loks brand new and is the real deal. AND im looking at a pe50sp as we speak, so tempted to grab it but its 75
Old 10th January 2019
I did pick up 3 of the Superlux TM58's for 50 bucks ! ..and they are awesome..look the part, they compete with 58's effortlessly .. great extra mics to have around
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear
ICDM Promotional Offer – iSK Pro Audio

Just started being offered I believe late last year and early returns I'm hearing are VERY positive. I have not used but I trust the people I'm hearing from and feel convinced this is a serious quality new mic and quite a bargain for the reg price of $60, never mind the current sales price of $30. IMO you will not beat that.

That aside, huge props on the mic donation.
Old 11th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
ICDM Promotional Offer – iSK Pro Audio

Just started being offered I believe late last year and early returns I'm hearing are VERY positive. I have not used but I trust the people I'm hearing from and feel convinced this is a serious quality new mic and quite a bargain for the reg price of $60, never mind the current sales price of $30. IMO you will not beat that.

That aside, huge props on the mic donation.
I have 2, they do sound good..not amazing, but lots of bang for the buck there
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViralRock View Post
I bought the Behringer on a whim to test out. It's usable. Primary differences compared to an SM58 are that it definitely has a hotter output, and sounds pretty muddy in the low mids on vocals. I haven't used mine extensively, so I can't speak to durability. I think it's a serviceable mic, and a pretty decent one at that for the price.
My brother has six or seven of them and uses them on desk stands for live/televised events like city council meetings away from city hall. They are not awful. They do have much worse handling noise than 58s, which is why he always has them on desk stands. They are solidly built and have the look and almost the heft of a 58. He’s had them for more than five years, and had no failures, although they get rough and careless treatment from a video crew where knowledge of and respect for audio are scarce.
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Nut

old ghost bringing back some faith in humanity and compassion. Very cool. Nice to see. And it took the wind out of the soup and vending machine comment. Folks come here for advice. Not to be ridiculed.
Old 12th January 2019
more thoughts on my Superlux TM58's!

so I bought the Superlux TM58's as extra mics to have in the mic box for when I needed it.. typically I have used them on random back up vocal or what ever..well I needed a last min lead/main vocal mic added last night, I thought she was going to bring her shure 87A like normal .. and all my regular 58's were already on stands.. so I grabbed the TM58 and didnt say anything..well it sounded awesome!..she sounded amazing..she is a belter .. very loud and dynamic vocalist ..she had no complaints..and it sounded better then the other 58's I had out.. crazy! .. I will definitely stock up on these to have around when needed ..or even just switch over!.. seriously worth the money .. these are built like tanks and should cost more indeed!

and just as a reference I was using VRX over SRX last night..system sounded great
Old 12th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hook11 View Post
old ghost bringing back some faith in humanity and compassion. Very cool. Nice to see. And it took the wind out of the soup and vending machine comment. Folks come here for advice. Not to be ridiculed.
That seemed to come out of nowhere. Who are you directing it to?
It’s helpful to readers if you quote some of the post that sparks your response.
Old 13th January 2019
Thought I'd post in the thread since it's been bumped. The iSK ICDM (replaced the DM-58) could be a really nice alternative. It's actually really clean sounding from what I've heard. The Shure SM48 could be another option since it's actually from Shure, but I'm certain the ICDM would be a lot better. If I were interested in buying a dynamic I'd pick that over an SM58 if I were on tight budget. That said, if you can afford nicer I'd probably look at the Beyerdynamic M88 TG.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
so I bought the Superlux TM58's as extra mics to have in the mic box for when I needed it.. typically I have used them on random back up vocal or what ever..well I needed a last min lead/main vocal mic added last night, I thought she was going to bring her shure 87A like normal .. and all my regular 58's were already on stands.. so I grabbed the TM58 and didnt say anything..well it sounded awesome!..she sounded amazing..she is a belter .. very loud and dynamic vocalist ..she had no complaints..and it sounded better then the other 58's I had out.. crazy! .. I will definitely stock up on these to have around when needed ..or even just switch over!.. seriously worth the money .. these are built like tanks and should cost more indeed!

and just as a reference I was using VRX over SRX last night..system sounded great
Hey there, I have a chance to grab some of what I think are these locally where I am. What you said about them sounds positive. I wanted to ask just to double check, is this exactly the same as the Superlux TM58 you're talking about?

Pic 1: https://scontent.fhkg10-1.fna.fbcdn....2c&oe=5E0C5C1A

Pic 2: https://scontent.fhkg10-1.fna.fbcdn....70&oe=5E37D61C

I know it seems like an obvious, stupid question, but I just want to make 100% "shure" before blowing money and I have never heard of these mimics until today, but your mini review makes it sound like they're worth a try.

Thanks!
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict
I bought a pack of 3 Behringer XM1800S SM58-like mics (~£35) for a karaoke gig I was hosting (didn't want to risk pished up punters wind-milling my go dynamic mics (Heil Audio PR20 and PR22s.) I expected them to be rubbish - but they are fine, they've lasted over three years so far with no issues, even snuck one in at the odd open mic night to see in anyone noticed - no-one commented about the sound at all - perfectly usabe live mics for about £12 each including case!
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Hey there, I have a chance to grab some of what I think are these locally where I am. What you said about them sounds positive. I wanted to ask just to double check, is this exactly the same as the Superlux TM58 you're talking about?

Pic 1: https://scontent.fhkg10-1.fna.fbcdn....2c&oe=5E0C5C1A

Pic 2: https://scontent.fhkg10-1.fna.fbcdn....70&oe=5E37D61C

I know it seems like an obvious, stupid question, but I just want to make 100% "shure" before blowing money and I have never heard of these mimics until today, but your mini review makes it sound like they're worth a try.

Thanks!
I now have 6 of these
https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-Dyna.../dp/B07D913CJC

they do not have the on/off switch like the mics in your pic..they are a great alternative to regular 58's !
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I now have 6 of these
https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-Dyna.../dp/B07D913CJC

they do not have the on/off switch like the mics in your pic..they are a great alternative to regular 58's !
counterfeit?
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
counterfeit?
looks like the mics in his pic have an "s" so they are a TM58s ..for switch.. like this

https://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy...th-switc/70292
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
looks like the mics in his pic have an "s" so they are a TM58s ..for switch.. like this

https://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy...th-switc/70292
Hahah yes that's the same thing I was wondering. That's why I checked, to see if they were likely real. I guess I have trust issues!
Old 21st September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybegoode View Post
How is the Behringer XM8500?
Used Behringer 8600 are fine you can get them for $10 to $20 used. Tad darker than sm58 decent mics. And look at the AKG d8000m (can find for $19 new) guitar center ext. these are nice bright sensitive super/hypercadioid food noise rejection for home recording...
Old 26th September 2019
I'm a big fan of the Behringer XM8500. More gain than the SM58 but it sounds similar. I love a combination of two of them for micing guitar cabs.
Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear

If anyone is interested, I got hold of a pair of Superlux TM58. Turns out they're not really like an SM58 though they're supposed to be. I tried them side by side with a real SM58. Quite different. I can't exactly say they're terrible, I mean I just tried them for a few mins, but they are not the same. A bit louder somehow and a bit more trebly.
Old 27th September 2019
AKG P5. Great dynamic mic, great price.
Old 27th September 2019
Lives for gear

Shure SM48 . . .
Old 27th September 2019
Gear Guru

I bought two new 58s in 1999 at $99 apiece, as low as you could get at the time (57's were $10 cheaper back then). Adjusting for inflation, they should be $154 now, but they're not. Still $99. In 1999 dollars, that $64.58.

In my estimation, there's nothing current that's 10 or 20 or 30 bucks cheaper than a 58 that comes close in quality. And in real terms, 58's are way cheaper than they were 20 years ago. Can't we just establish a bar below which we simply won't go?
Old 28th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I bought two new 58s in 1999 at $99 apiece, as low as you could get at the time (57's were $10 cheaper back then). Adjusting for inflation, they should be $154 now, but they're not. Still $99. In 1999 dollars, that $64.58.

In my estimation, there's nothing current that's 10 or 20 or 30 bucks cheaper than a 58 that comes close in quality. And in real terms, 58's are way cheaper than they were 20 years ago. Can't we just establish a bar below which we simply won't go?
This is probably right, considering what the pair of "clones" I got was like. They were less than 30 USD each though to be fair, but if they're not usable, what's the point? I just did it to "find out" as an experiment really.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search