The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MARTIAUDIO Booster barrel vs cloudlifter vs fethead
Old 1st September 2015
Here for the gear

Just curios if any one has ever tried the MARTIAUDIO Microphone Booster barrel? If so how does it compare to the Cloudlifter and Fethead? They are only about $55 on ebay new direct from the guy that makes them.

Some of his info on them. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6408107&type=3
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

The fact that he sells "matched pairs" and seems to admit there's a variation of up to 5 dB between units doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me. I also don't like his list of mics that it works on. Shouldn't it work on any mic that doesn't require phantom power? Plus, it's not that much cheaper than an FEThead or Cloudlifter. I've never tried one myself, so I can't say anything for sure, but I'd rather plunk down the extra $50 and know what I'm getting ahead of time.

But feel free to try one out yourself and report back!
Old 1st September 2015
Here for the gear

I would rather not be the guinea pig Although I did notice he has 100% positive feedback on ebay.
Old 3rd November 2015
Here for the gear

I ordered from this guy. I waited and waited, he said he was awaiting parts. Okay, give the guy a break. Finally asked him for a tracking number in which he almost berated me for daring to ask, claiming it was shipped. I asked again for a tracking number and got a rude reply again so I told him I wanted to cancel my order. He told me that it would be months before it would ever be cancelled and all kinds of crap. When I finally got the package in, it was enclosed in a plastic bag issued by Canada Post basically saying 'Sorry, it seems your parcel was opened'. The bag was torn at the corner and that's that.

The only reason his rating is high is because I couldn't be bothered to post anything on ebay. Quite a coincidence that the packing had been torn on that order. I'd never order from that guy again - karma will come his way.

I bought a Cloudlifter - more money but it works great.
Old 3rd November 2015
Old 27th April 2016
Here for the gear

You could always check-out this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUrMuNkiJo

... and there's a review on the Sound on Sound forum.... (by me!)

Last edited by Mike Stranks; 27th April 2016 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Deleted hyperlink
Old 29th April 2016
Gear Addict
I have a pair of matched 'deluxe' MartiAudio boosters, they're 'build' on [real] Neutrik connectors which I personally like better than what is used in FetHeads.
Relatively cheap, delivered promptly and working just superb.

Last edited by heva; 22nd September 2016 at 08:29 PM..
Old 8th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sound View Post
The fact that he sells "matched pairs" and seems to admit there's a variation of up to 5 dB between units doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me. I also don't like his list of mics that it works on. Shouldn't it work on any mic that doesn't require phantom power? Plus, it's not that much cheaper than an FEThead or Cloudlifter. I've never tried one myself, so I can't say anything for sure, but I'd rather plunk down the extra $50 and know what I'm getting ahead of time.

well IT WORKS WITH ALL DYNAMIC & RIBBON PASSIVE MIC ALIKE .. the list is the most common user experiences with Martiaudio Booster.
now the 5 dB variation.. oh dear .. I really need to spell it out slowly for some: THe booster varies in boost level depending on mic and preamp. probably 3dB not even 5dB, but in the case of matched boosters.. Of course it is identical with the same mic and preamp pair at less than 0.5dB otherwise it isn't matched is it!!
Old 8th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulla View Post
I would rather not be the guinea pig Although I did notice he has 100% positive feedback on ebay.
One should always be carefully about serious criticism when the person isn't here to defend himself or debate facts at least. There is a reason I have 100% rate is that I do value customer satisfaction. those exhibiting outrageous things about me seems to deserve their treatment cos they treated me with abuse themselves. And I'd rather get my product returned ( in perfect condition only ) for full refund no questions asked! that is how confident I am about my stuff. ( not arrogant! ) and how I'd rather keep it for genuine good people.

Plus I do accept exceptional return anytime so there is no excuse at all!!

I've witnessed increasing unreliability with postal services around the world lately: I send International signed&tracked: that means if you aren't at home when attempt delivery you get a card. ( unless the postman is just a ..)
That also means that customer should be responsible for tracking their parcel cos I ALWAYS give tracking number!! including in the UK. that is why my postage service is expensive: I pay for that without profit at all on handling/post cost ( nearly a 1/3 of the total price I am afraid. but I only charge 1GBP for each added item ) I am not a company, I don't have a deal with distribution and I don't make 66% profit on my units to allow for that!

the chap complaining about my attitude with my parcel coming from Canada . Of course it shouldn't have been .. that is Post grass mistake but he never tracked his parcel to help himself as I understand.
I've sold quite a substantial amount in 5 years. I never ever heard anything like that!! )

And yes first time ever I was late delivering due to part stockage. I am sorry about that .. but wait I still dispatched it within the time given through ebay ( I aways dispatch within a week but allows 2 weeks on terms&C. ).

Yes it works on all I repeat ALL DYNAMIC & RIBBON PASSIVE mics including low impedance vintage mics.. and matched pair means less 0.5dB close.. ( boost amount varies with mics and preamp. but given matched preamp and microphones, the booster pair is also matched!! ) I hope this clears up the air.
Old 8th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
I have one... works great!
Old 8th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiaudio View Post
… now the 5 dB variation.. oh dear .. I really need to spell it out slowly for some:..
No, you really need to mind your manners. And wake the eff up.

In the old Pillsbury commercials, the jingle went "Nothin' says lovin' like somethin' from the oven…"

You don't want to give people the impression that you're baking a little bad personal juju into everything you make.

The Cloudlifter folks may all be angry and miserable. But I'll happily pay them double to keep it to themselves.

Us folks you're talking at, we're buyers and users, not designers. And we might be dumber than you, but we don't like being reminded of it.

So be nice. Or pretend. It'll help you. Trust me.
Old 8th December 2016
Here for the gear

Merry Xmas to all from Martiaudio.

With a smile from me to all abusive unhappy people clearly not busy enough to spend all day everyday in here criticising away everything and nothing without knowing, owning or appreciating the products.
I probably be off for an other 4 years as I do value my sanity.

Seriously though. since I discovered this thread:
Thank you very much indeed to all the clients that trusted me through paypal, ebay and Reverb.com and sometimes buppy post office services.

I hope you make very good and creative use of my products.
All the Best.
Old 22nd February 2017
Here for the gear
A couple years or so ago, I bought the MARTIAUDIO Booster barrel and could not be more pleased with the service or the product. It got to Oregon in fast enough time and was well protected. I'm thinking of having one sent to my recording mentor in Texas.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

I use mine live, usually hanging off a Beyer m201, and at home recording various stringed things with a Beyer m260n.

Works great.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Another to compare with:

https://beesneezmicrophones.com.au/s...d-pre-amp.html
Old 12th December 2017
Sorry to bump, but is there anyone out there who has used both a Marti and a Fethead/Cloudlifter/Beesneez?

Having 1 and saying it's great tells us nothing... does anyone have 2 or more and can tell us which is quieter?
Old 28th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I use mine live, usually hanging off a Beyer m201, and at home recording various stringed things with a Beyer m260n.

Works great.
What kind of preamp were you using? Was it a noisy-preamp to begin with, or one that required extra gain?
Old 28th December 2017
Gear Maniac

I got a couple of them. All I can say is that I sold my Cloudlifters. They are well constructed and work flawless for me. Plus they sell for less, yet do the same job. And even sometimes better depending on other variants in signal chain.

Don't believe all the naysayers. Buy one and try it like I did. You won't regret it
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurumanx View Post
What kind of preamp were you using? Was it a noisy-preamp to begin with, or one that required extra gain?
Live - usually a Mackie dl1608
Home - Focusrite 16i8
Old 29th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaringwave View Post
I got a couple of them. All I can say is that I sold my Cloudlifters. They are well constructed and work flawless for me. Plus they sell for less, yet do the same job. And even sometimes better depending on other variants in signal chain.

Don't believe all the naysayers. Buy one and try it like I did. You won't regret it
So are you saying e.g. the MartiAudio has a lower noisefloor when phantom power is clean?
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurumanx View Post
So are you saying e.g. the MartiAudio has a lower noisefloor when phantom power is clean?
The M/A works best , as I understand it, when your preamps can't provide quite enough clean gain for the (dynamic/ribbon) mic you're using. Putting the M/A in line means the mic "sees" a super-clean preamp (the M/A) and your existing preamp receives a more useful level of signal.

The phantom power provided by the host interface is only powering the M/A on this channel and shouldn't make a difference to the resulting mic signal. I've tried it on several boxes and the differences in sound are that which I would expect from that particular box rather than any PP differences.
Old 30th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
The M/A works best , as I understand it, when your preamps can't provide quite enough clean gain for the (dynamic/ribbon) mic you're using. Putting the M/A in line means the mic "sees" a super-clean preamp (the M/A) and your existing preamp receives a more useful level of signal.

The phantom power provided by the host interface is only powering the M/A on this channel and shouldn't make a difference to the resulting mic signal. I've tried it on several boxes and the differences in sound are that which I would expect from that particular box rather than any PP differences.
Thanks, and can you confirm that the M/A actually lowers your noisefloor?

For example, recording a signal averaging -18dB, with and without the M/A, and leveling the gain so that both signals are equal.

Using my Tascam 2x2 with this process, a FetHead makes my signal about 0.5dB quieter. I think your Focusrite is slightly quieter than my Tascam, so if you're lowering your noisefloor from the M/A, I surely will as well. OTOH that'd mean the M/A is really quieter than the Fethead.
Old 6th March 2018
Here for the gear

the inline preamp making something quieter is just good gain staging, anything active can add noise , not subtract it

I have a triton , I like it allot although it can be too much gain depending on the source and your preamp [ if it doesn't have a pad ] but the result is better than simply turning up the preamp gain, the impedance " conditioning " in effect helps
" give " you more signal.

The Bees knees sounds like something new to the game, non fet for quoted noise issues , I think I'll be adding a pair to my Kit

the marti fellow based his conduct and what I've seen , I wouldn't buy one
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

I bought a Martini about a year ago. Tried it out once and the noise/hiss levels were awful.
Couldn't possibly use it for recording or any other application.

The video I saw on it had no hiss at all. I suppose I should have read his web page a bit closer.
It said it was "not" designed for professional use so I couldn't blame him for a misleading advertisement,
but the unit was totally useless to me so I essentially threw my money away on it. Too bad too because I still need
a decent in line preamp for my ribbon mics.

Martini has apparently improved his product since I bought mine and is making High Quality version now which is likely closer to a Fethead and Cloudlifter.
The only thing I'd recommend is if you buy a Martini, It would be safer to buy one new. Buying used you may wind up with one of these low quality versions which are totally useless.
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear
I have two Marti Barrel Boosts and no issues with noise whatsoever. They do sound better in the mid to low range than a Cloudlifter, which is more mid to upper range-y; it sorta reminds me of the difference between a SM57 and SM7b.

I would rather pay half and not give two ****s about what anyone says. I've never felt the need to measure noise floors since my ears can tell me what sounds good. Thanks for reminding me why I rarely bother to participate in the internet anymore.
Old 16th July 2018
Here for the gear
This post is definitely old but I thought I would share my opinion on the Marti Audio Boosters because I bought one recently and was super unhappy with it. I definitely recommend spending the extra $50, unless you enjoy using RX 6 to clean up your takes from the awful noise it makes.
Old 27th September 2018
Here for the gear

ok.. so I check in here and I am shocked to see that some people are disappointed with my product and also I read false claim.
Martiaudio Products are all PROFESSIONAL GRADE!! handmade with care and all tested and burned in before delivery.

I have always provided free replacement if there is a fault as long as people get in touch with me respectfully without trying to repair stuff themselves. Consider a personal organic warranty without limits providing it is honest.
In some cases I exceptionally replace to people honest enough to tell me that they did damage mechanically the booster and they are sorry. They pay for the shipping in and out and I replace this particular product entry level.

The newer Martiaudio booster is much tougher but still a barrel as opposed to proper chassis like cloudlifter hence the price.
I am working on something much more interesting deserving a full chassis: the same booster but activated by phantom power automatically or bypassed. SO in a studio you will be able to test a ribbon mic or a 57 with or without the booster engaged from the console.. BEST right!!

Using a booster makes it really sensitive to EMI/RMI so mobile phone should always be off!!

Check my products on my website to understand the level of care a little more perhaps and what I do please.
And I don't get all these personal praise for nothing over the years. Even people telling me that they prefer Martiaudio boosters to Cloudlifters for the sound whilst it is both claimed to be clean pre-balanced preamplification. Just check it for yourselves.

If you have a problem with postage or the actual product, get in touch with me I will help. Don't crucify me on blogs !!

Understand the true value proposition before and make an educated statement and the end.
thank you for all the satisfied people who are coming back to me as clients and of course all the new customers too.
martiaudio.com/shop
Quote:
Martiaudio | Boutique audio | Shop | UK

Audio Boutique services made for everybody who cares about audio signal.
Old 1st October 2018
Here for the gear

Hi, I am a bit shocked to see the negative reviews. Everyone is different but I really love my Barrel Boosters! Here’s my take on why anyone should buy them-
The MA barrel boosters are better than cloudlifters. I’ve done comparisons and, again, everyone’s entitled to their own opinion but my MABBs win hands down. Don’t get me wrong, Cloudlifters are fine, but they aren’t as clean as my MAs and CLs are bulky and EXPENSIVE (at least twice as much!). I also noticed that the high freq in the MA is more pleasing (esp on vocals, snare, and acoustic guitar) making the use of an SM57 or SM7 amazing! Seriously, I own a lot of very nice condenser mics (U87s, UM70s, 414s, 451s, etc) but use an SM57 on lots of things first because of the MABBs. You still get that meaty 57 mid-range but with an actual top and bottom. So robust! Granted a good preamp is best but I recently achieved a fantastic vocal tone with a Tube MP (!) and an SM7 when in a pinch on a remote session.
Acoustic Guitar > SM57 > MartiAudio BB > Neve 1073 = !!!!!!!
Next I’d like to address “bedside manners”. I had one of the first gen MA boosters from quite a while ago. After literally 1000s of uses (including accidental drops, being stepped on, etc) over 5 years of both studio and live sound usage it finally pooped out. I contacted MA and he offered to REPLACE it at no charge! I am offering him some $ because that doesn’t seem fair, TO HIM!
And I really appreciate that there are still individual people who are building one of a kind tools using high quality components at a very fair cost who you can contact directly that are still in the world. We all should be supportive of these kinds of operations and accept that these are “human beings who will respond like human beings”, not big greedy companies always looking for cheaper components, cheap labor, and robotic customer service contracted out of the country.

In short, if you’re in the market for something like this I highly recommend the MartiAudio Barrel Booster. It really can make your dynamics act and respond like quality condensers, or just generally clear the fog on many sources. Of course there are many instances where you need a dynamic mic to be just that, but there are so many fantastic uses I’ve found for the MABB and I’m sure I’ll keep discovering more as I have some old Neumann Gefell dynamics coming way soon.
Happy Recording all
Old 16th December 2018
Here for the gear

Martiaudio sounds better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sound View Post

First of all, excuse my poor english, it is not my maternal language.
!!! "I've never tried one myself, so I can't say anything for sure " !!! So, just really let's say NOTHING !!! For sure.

Personnaly, i have tested the 3 (Fethead, Cloud CL1 & MartAudio). They are good stuffs but i sold first my Cloud CL1.

The day i will bought a pair of Martiaudio, i will resell my 3 Fethead
BECAUSE MARTIAUDIO SOUNDS BETTER for me.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

I wasted my money on one of the MARTIAUDIO boosters.
What a piece of crap that thing is. The white noise levels are way too high for recording purposes.

I later found out the guy sells two versions. One that's comparable to a Cloudlifter using a quiet FET and he also makes a crap version using cheap generic parts which are noisy as all get out. I would have had to pay to ship it back and pay for the shipping on another one so I basically threw the thing in a junk box and forgot about it. I bought a decent preamp instad and never looked back.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search