The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
This guy will shake your lust for gear fundamentally
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarlon View Post
What I took away from the video is it's important to try to use the sounds you can make into something cool rather than strive for something you can't achieve with the equipment you have.

I'm sure he wasnt seeking all that equipment out to create that sound. It seems more like his equipment shapes the sound.

I hope that makes sense.
Really well said. This should be everyone's goal all the time—and would provide a much-needed tonal shift to some of the discussions around here.
Old 16th September 2015
I'm a fan after being introduced to him in this thread, good stuff. Not hi fi at all but very vibey. Not everything needs to be a Roger Nichols or Massenburg production.
Old 16th September 2015
This thread has been here for ages, so the guy definitely got us talking. That's part of success I guess.
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Maniac
Went to his concert last night in Pontiac (last night of his tour). What strikes me was that he actually went on tour with a Roland Juno 60 and a Yamaha DX100. Both Vintage
Attached Thumbnails
This guy will shake your lust for gear fundamentally-image.jpg  
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

I stumbled on this old thread literally looking for information about how Mac got such a hifi and high quality sound on Here Comes The Cowboy. Apparently he still does it all himself, but his recording quality is shockingly good recently.

Old 7th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
classic 'old guy scared of the new world' kind of mentality. I feel sorry for how narrow minded you carry yourself through life. My regards to anyone who is subjected to your negativity on a daily basis, let alone creatively at your helm.

your bell tower idea may not be such a bad call.
What nonsense! That guy is using a Tascam 388, a IMHO crappy, muddy sounding cheaply made reel to reel that runs at 7.5 ips. That's an "old guy" machine If there ever was one, and being an old tape guy, I would never use one to record anything.
Old 8th December 2019
Hes had a #10 now... this thread is going on years, last I checked he'd hit a 25 & 30 on the charts.

The recording on the page 1 of this is how I remember hearing him, heavy reverbs etc. The song posted 95 is much cleaner, better in some ways but maybe not in others.

Its like saying the Beatles first album with I Saw Her Standing There and Twist and Shout isnt as good as Abbey Roads songs because Abbey Road was recorded better....but the first one still has some vibe in its rawness.

Wierd you hear so many unknowns and when they get on the charts or radio its strange. A dude sang on my sons band record just for free on a track, and now that dudes band hit # 1, #2 twice and #3 on Billboard? go figure....at the gigs they werent some abnormally standoutish band...so whats the formula for a # 1 again? lol
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Nut

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=syIBWDnZqCw

This video is new, and gives a peek at his home studio where he recorded Here Comes the Cowboy.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_asakawa View Post
Isn't Mac DeMarco signed to Wow & Flutter Records?

All kidding aside, give this guy a 4k camera, a tripod & gimbal mount and he could direct some interesting videos (for some other artists)…
Yes, take the music away though, lol.
And the songwriting, and the lipstick!
But I could relate to him showing stuff around as I'm working out of a spare bedroom too.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear
I bet the low end is fixed by whoever masters his stuff. I find the low end difficult to mix in a bedroom studio.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Nut

The new recordings sound "better" or however you want to define it, but lets settle on more refined - not only because of his skills and talent, but also a growing understanding of recording over time...which includes better gear. We're talking La2a's, 1176's, u87, some other 500 series modules too, etc. He talks a little about it during this interview, and you can see some of the home studio in his house in LA too
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search