The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Watch Me Trash All Your Favorite Cheapo Mics
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechacaseal View Post
I do video game commentaries on youtube. Over the years while doing commentaries I spent about 4,000 dollars on mics. I currently use a CAD U37 after trashing all my stuff. I've been looking to start my microphone collection up again but every time im about to bu ya XLR mic I feel like I'm sticking a fork in a electrical outlet because I was never satisfied with the mics regardless of price. So again I look for mics to do video game commentaries with. For that purpose I want to tell you why many of the mics you people talk about are complete and utter ****.

AT2020: This mic is flat and muddy in the mix of video game audio. Even with EQ it distorts because it turns into a proper bright mic.

AT2035: This is a real cheapo sounding piece of ****. Similar results to the at2020. Not a real upgrade and doesnt perform much better in any meaningful way. Sounds grainy and cheap as ****. Its a toy.

AT4040: This mic is moderately respectable. Its a very flat sounding mic though. Again not bright which is my current preference since it's otherwise going to be muddy regardless of EQ. The AT4040 has a lot more presence than the 20 series. and sounds fairly good performing better than some in its price range but again completely ****ing useless for what I do since its muddy and flat but it is transparent besides being flat **** unusable filth.

Sennheiser MK4: Oh my god where do I begin with this piece of ****. This mic completely and utterly changed my voice from its natural sound. It gave me a very tanky sound that would maybe work for a radio show or some ****. I had to use a ton of EQ and still couldn't get it to sound natural. What the flying ****?

RE20: One of the only dynamic mics I'd ever consider using for recordings. Natural sounding dynamic with a bright top end maybe a little too airy and thin for some people.

RE27: Horrible mic. Makes me sound awful and unnatural as ****. How this mic could get away with being so expensive and sound so ****. I don't know a damn thing about what radio people like but I sure as **** wont embarrass myself by using that **** for recordings.

RE320: Another novelty gimmick mic that sounds awful. I hated the way the bass and top end sounds on this mic. The useless switch on it for vocal applications is also a joke. I saw Alex Jones recently upgraded his studio with a **** ton of these. Of course he is doing processing on that **** to sound like radio filth so not like it matters. He was very wasteful using neumanns back in his earlier days only to process it into **** territory. Cant tell the difference when you make a mic sound that **** so I see his logic using RE320 now. As long as you can understand what they are saying thats all that matters right?

SM7b: BAHAHAHAHAHAHA **** MICHAEL JACKSON! This thing is so ****. RE20 rapes it for spoken word. Only people who use this mic are newbs and people with a giant mic collection and love mics. This mic has no top end. It is bogged down sounding regardless of a fethead or cloudlifter. Put it beside any condenser and its no comparison.

SM57: This mic isnt that bad it sounds slightly different than a sm58. seems like its hyped in a slightly different range than the sm58 which can sound better or worse I guess depending on preference. Main issue I noticed with this mic in comparison to SM58 is on the rare occasion on spoken word it will all of a sudden have a weird robotic metal sheen distortion that I never ever experienced with a sm58. Maybe its mic placement that does this I don't know. I sure as hell make sure I'm buying a real one when I'm buying this **** cheapo shure mics tho.

SM58: This thing is alright one of the most natural sounding handheld dynamcis I've used. Obviously its completely detailess and weak as **** and has no place on youtube video game commentaries. I had this mic for several years tho before I got into youtube. Was my first mic.

Blue Yeti: I liked this mic. Had a lot of features. If I recall correctly I used it mostly in stereo mode because I thought it sounded better. I don't really remember it all too well. I was buying and selling mcis like a crack addict at this time. Obviously its a very good mic for commentaries. Very bright and transparent natural sounding mic with little bass. Perfect for modern usage for skype, live applications like streaming, and general video game commentaries.

Blue Snowball: Cheap piece of **** what else can I say? subpar sound quality.

CAD U37: Been using this for over 6 months now. ****ing love this thing. It's very lively and sounds very good. Beats out most the mics I listed above. I miss mics that had some bass to them tho and just overall I'm bored of it and wanna waste money even though it rapes most mics for what I use them for.

NT1A: Holy ****ing **** this thing has issues. Scooped mids and a horrible harsh top end "s" sound. No wonder they tell you to tilt the bitch 45 degrees. Maybe I shoulda given that a try when I had the piece of ****. The overall sound samples I still have of it make me ****ing cringe in comparison to the CAD U37. I almost bought another NT1A the other day thank god I lost the auction on ebay.

Blue Spark: I actually don't have this mic but am still interested in it currently. May waste money on one since they go for around 120 dollars use on ebay. Main reason why I haven't gotten one yet is their ****ty construction, ****ty looking design and by default they cut off the top end and ave the mic some bass. Luckily they knew that was a stupid decision and added a switch that from what I can tell gives it its top end back and removes some bass. ****ing perfect. Apparently by default its good for women since women's high pitches voices work on any **** mic regardless anyway im not surprised.

ND767a: This is not a ****ing condenser stop advertising it as a such it does not sound like one. It however does rape a sm58 by sounding more detailed and much more lively. However it still sounds like a dynamic and does not sound very natural. It's a cool mic tho.

Beringer XM8500: Not bad. Not bad cause most dynamics are **** so you might as well go cheap anyway.

I'm currently browsing mics and looking at the cad gxl2200. Can't tell if its **** or not yet. I'm starting to be a fan of CAD mics at the moment. I just got done looking at MXL mics and decided to not touch those pieces of **** with a 10 foot pole.
When a YouTuber knows mics better than most Audio Engineers on GS
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
Some of you may remember the OP of this 4 year old thread who had been a member here under several different names and inevitably got banned every time he returned.

Youtube channel "Microphones"........
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N...KzS_-oA/videos
This is one of the best channels I've ever seen. Literal hours of entertainment.

Thank you.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by element0s View Post
This is one of the best channels I've ever seen. Literal hours of entertainment.

Thank you.
I enjoyed the one on why U67s are badly designed. Also the shampoo one.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I feel sorry for the guy. He’s likely got some major issues that we know nothing about.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
Some of you may remember the OP of this 4 year old thread who had been a member here under several different names and inevitably got banned every time he returned.

Youtube channel "Microphones"........
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N...KzS_-oA/videos
Is this that guy with the super raspy voice who reviews mics he doesn't even have based on the frequency response and other peoples audio samples from YouTube. Cause that guy seems to think the Blue Yeti is better than the AT40 series mics. I can never tell if he's a troll or just a dumbass. He once bought an AKG C2000, called it the most U87 like mic he's used, and then started ranting the next day or two about how it's useless because of it's 20 dBA self noise, while also claiming another time that his webcam mic is the best voiceover mic he's used. Also calls the sE Electronics T2 airy and noisy, which is ironic since the guy thinks that the frequency response chart is the most important thing. And he records in a completely untreated room. Anything with a presence boost is also automatically "voiced for singing" which means that Lewitt mics are bad because they have a presence boost in the air frequencies.

Even if OP isn't him, judging a mic because it doesn't automatically sound good in a video game commentary where you have a **** ton of different sounds playing is asinine. There's a reason a lot of audio engineers prefer flatter mics and then EQ them. Even a U87 won't sound good in an untreated room with a bunch of video game audio playing over it.

OP does seem like he is that guy since he says that the AT4040 is respectable, but then calls it **** for not being bright and not automatically cutting through a cacophony of game audio and praising the Blue Yeti (also saying that he's something like the same amount of money on mics) and crapping on stuff that is a lot more solid. I mean everyone's entitled to their opinion, but how you can like a tinny toy that sounds like a headset mic over actual studio quality mics that have more detail and sound more even and full is beyond me.

I'm gonna humour OP and say a CAD GXL2200 isn't going to be better than a lot of the MXL mics, because it's a Schoeps circuit with a K67 capsule. Same with the GXL1200 SDC, it'll probably be similar to the MXL 603. If you're going to get a CAD get the M179. Better yet, treat the room properly and learn that a mic being bright doesn't make it automatically good. You can just EQ a neutral mic to make it "cut through the mix". A quality neutral sounding mic will be a lot more useful than a harsh mic that you have to EQ the crap out of.

And you're completely wrong about the Spark. It's known for being scooped and having a lot of high end.

And there are quite a few nice dynamic mics as well. The Beyerdynamic and Neumann ones come to mind.

I will say that if you are the guy on YouTube, Microphones/Podcastage 2.0/Microphone Reviews/whatever else that dumbass has gone by, your voice is probably one of the really big issues. They have a very unpleasant raspy dry dull sounding voice that's just unpleasant. Through every mic I've heard that clown use.

EDIT: Oh wow I didn't realize the thread is 4 years old. At least he's not here spouting garbage anymore. Though I doubt his "reviews" will go away anytime soon.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 1 week ago at 04:53 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This thread would be much better had it lived up to its title:
"Watch Me Trash All Your Favorite Cheapo Mics"
Wouldn't it be cool if there were actually videos posted here with somebody throwing (oh let's say) a Rode NT1a off some radio tower or something?

...I mean THAT would be something worth watching!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Theres was another chap that used to post on GS who bought a lot of different Rode mics and then finally decided he didn’t like them and made a YouTube vid of him jumping up and down on the boxes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics View Post
Theres was another chap that used to post on GS who bought a lot of different Rode mics and then finally decided he didn’t like them and made a YouTube vid of him jumping up and down on the boxes.
I once watched a pissed-off lead vocalist throw an SM58 into a deep-fryer in the kitchen of some joint we were playing in.
It was NOT a good night (and I have no video).
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me if the guy from the linked YouTube channel did something like that(was it a pasty guy who looked like Gollum?). The guy compared his NT2-A to a "performance racecar" and then started ranting about how much he hated it like a week later. Bought the C2000 (maybe C2000B, yes these are AKGs), called it U87 like and high quality, then like 3 days later started freaking out about its self noise. He's also claimed to have used "almost every microphone", but has no recordings of him using them for his "reviews" (which are just him playing other people's videos or looking at a picture of the frequency response chart to judge a microphone, you should see his opinion of Lewitt and Warm Audio, apparently he almost got sued because he ranted about how Warm mics are a scam).

He made a video about how he was never buying Rode products again. It wouldn't surprise me if he bought one right after. And at one point started saying "just buy a U87", yet wouldn't take his own advice despite apparently spending several thousand on microphones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
his best video
He probably stopped using shampoo because he didn't have hair for a while.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if there were actually videos posted here with somebody throwing a Rode NT1a off some radio tower or something?
]
The cool part would be if they took the elevator down, picked up the mic, plugged it in and and recorded a song. What mic would survive the drop?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This thread would be much better had it lived up to its title:
"Watch Me Trash All Your Favorite Cheapo Mics"
Wouldn't it be cool if there were actually videos posted here with somebody throwing (oh let's say) a Rode NT1a off some radio tower or something?

...I mean THAT would be something worth watching!
Holy Rodekill Batman!
Chris
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

So sorry for reopening this ancient thread but I was really bored and hopefully the ensuing dialogue provided some entertainment.

What is alarming is that the protagonist in all of this is so disillusioned that he believes the on axis frequency response graph of a microphone totally determines it’s sonic performance.

What about off axis response? What about transient response? What about the fact that these graphs are band averaged, +/- some dB level, or averaged from a number of units of that specific model? What about the room and microphone distance from the sound source? I really don’t believe any common standard for reporting frequency response exists across manufacturers.

I love most Beyerdynamic microphones, but the response graphs included with the microphones usually didn’t look like the ones that are published in the data sheet. Also, I would debate audibility of some of the frequency differences he claims to hear especially not possessing the microphone in question.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried fingers View Post
So sorry for reopening this ancient thread but I was really bored and hopefully the ensuing dialogue provided some entertainment.

What is alarming is that the protagonist in all of this is so disillusioned that he believes the on axis frequency response graph of a microphone totally determines it’s sonic performance.

What about off axis response? What about transient response? What about the fact that these graphs are band averaged, +/- some dB level, or averaged from a number of units of that specific model? What about the room and microphone distance from the sound source? I really don’t believe any common standard for reporting frequency response exists across manufacturers.

I love most Beyerdynamic microphones, but the response graphs included with the microphones usually didn’t look like the ones that are published in the data sheet. Also, I would debate audibility of some of the frequency differences he claims to hear especially not possessing the microphone in question.
Plus he's using them for something they were never even designed for.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
The cool part would be if they took the elevator down, picked up the mic, plugged it in and and recorded a song. What mic would survive the drop?
My money would be on either the Shure SM58 or the Electro-Voice 666 (known as the "Buchanan Hammer" or the "Mic of the Beast").
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
My money would be on either the Shure SM58 or the Electro-Voice 666 (known as the "Buchanan Hammer" or the "Mic of the Beast").
My money would be on the EV. That casing is like the engine of a classic Lionel model train.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
My money would be on the EV. That casing is like the engine of a classic Lionel model train.
Streamline Moderne, as is the 664. Pretty weird, coming from a buncha pocket-protector types in Michigan.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The microphone on the Nokia 3310! I kid you not!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Amusing post. I don't watch video game commentary or Twitch streamers or anything like that, but it's interesting to see microphones judged by different criteria than what is usual for live stage performance, studio work, or radio. I'm not on board with the dismissive comments -- "get a load of this guy", "what a schizo", etc. It takes all kinds.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head
Making Reviews just from manufactors datasheets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhDTUDoj0rs

Interesting idea...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My money would be on the EV.
Not so fast there!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head
do they get money for doing this? I want to work for that company! Fun with mics ;-)
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Maybe make a judgement call based on what is being contributed. The person that revived the thread only wrote that the CAD U37 is a great paperweight. So a new generation of slutz has been exposed to the OP’s delusions. I’d say the cutoff in this case is the end of days.
Let's just say that I am by no means new to recording but am just not a fan of USB microphones and therefore view them as paperweights...it's just my opinion and not intended to offend as I'd rather use microphones that don't have $0.20 amplifiers integrated.

As far as the OP, not for me to judge, but damn I've never seen someone try to categorically dismiss or select microphones solely based on suspect data sheet on-axis frequency response measurements. If only it was that easy!

Last edited by fried fingers; 3 days ago at 06:47 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

It’s cool as reviving the thread has provided solid entertainment. It’s like turning on the History channel and seeing someone has made yet another doco about Hitler. Sure the SS uniforms looked snappy but I just don’t think Adolph had many redeeming qualities. His speeches got a bigger audience than the OP's vidcasts but the alternatives then were oompapa oompapa songs and Strauss waltzs.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s cool as reviving the thread has provided solid entertainment. It’s like turning on the History channel and seeing someone has made yet another doco about Hitler. Sure the SS uniforms looked snappy but I just don’t think Adolph had many redeeming qualities. His speeches got a bigger audience than the OP's vidcasts but the alternatives then were oompapa oompapa songs and Strauss waltzs.
Don't forget the VW "Bug" and the Neumann CMV3 microphone!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

And if Teddy Kennedy had only driven a VW Bug, he would have been President.
Chris
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
And if Teddy Kennedy had only driven a VW Bug, he would have been President.
Chris
The standard bug is not amphibious. Teddy needed the Amphicar.

What he really needed was to not drive after drinking.
I don’t think Teddy would have been 20 percent of the President Bobby would have been.
And now, to make this relevant, I cede the remainder of my post to Ronco’s Mr. Microphone. Which suggests the question, can you trash something that IS trash to begin with?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I agree about Bobby too.
I was at the Ambassador, as a child, about a week before he was assassinated.
Chris
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

They say this Mr. Microphone is one bad Mother...
(Shut your mouth!!)
Chris
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search