The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zoom UAC-2, any thoughts?
Old 14th August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoinhoc View Post
I am very sure that we can not use AMD CPUs for Zoom UAC - I had been sent a lot of questions to Zoom but no reply at all . Zoom is the first to usb 3.0 for their products but remember that if you are going to use destop with latest motherboard you can find that 3.0 is useless ( NEW MOTHERBOARD IS EQUIPED WITH 3.1 already and you have to pay for the device with 3.0 and can not use) so you should have clever choice for the USB sound cards !
Yeah i thought usb is universal solution these days... before i owned firewire card so get many problems bought like 3 different pci cards with texas instrument and all stopped work like a half a year of using...
Now ,Tried best possible interface(win10 support fastest device) and didnt even suppose it will be problems on different chipsets

If want go for Zen need to buy RME soultion(babyface) (heard is working like a charm with zen)which cost me same like
Zoom Uac + I9(Zoom send me info that will work)
For future compatibility with another stuff i will pick i9 even i will spent a couple more $
But now wait till price goes down (1 year or more)

But in other way ddr4 ram price increase so fast...
Propably it will be equal.

Hatemylife
Old 15th August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolique View Post
Yeah i thought usb is universal solution these days... before i owned firewire card so get many problems bought like 3 different pci cards with texas instrument and all stopped work like a half a year of using...
Now ,Tried best possible interface(win10 support fastest device) and didnt even suppose it will be problems on different chipsets

If want go for Zen need to buy RME soultion(babyface) (heard is working like a charm with zen)which cost me same like
Zoom Uac + I9(Zoom send me info that will work)
For future compatibility with another stuff i will pick i9 even i will spent a couple more $
But now wait till price goes down (1 year or more)

But in other way ddr4 ram price increase so fast...
Propably it will be equal.

Hatemylife
Yeah, I was in the same situation like yours, tried with PCMCIA ( EMU 1616 ) and Firewire and all of these devices stoped working due to the fact that there is no more supports from computer hardware and software owners .And now again there are these issues . Very tired. My latest desktop with Ryzen CPU gone - with half price after just one day using - very disappointed that it refused to get intact with sound card.Now I am with Intel chipset and 2.0 Usb sound card . SAD...
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So ADM can not use in the Audio Industry ( accept gaming ) it is not a good news because their news CPU are very powerfull and cheaper than Intel CPU
If enough people complain and ask for drivers to be written for AMD then it'll happen I imagine, they want to sell to as many people as possible after all!
Old 18th August 2017
Here for the gear

@ Peter Kaine

Back to the multiple aforementioned headphone output issues in these zooms (UAC-2, UAC-8) earlier in this thread, other threads including This Post..

On your website where you sell these units (as you plugged earlier in this thead).. Sold specifically with K702s recommended..

Zoom UAC-2 USB 3.0 Interface with AKG K702 Studio Headphones

K702s are 62 ohms.. Zoom UAC headphone output is 33 ohm.. and every authoritative source on matching headphones to headphone amp / output insist that the headphone's impedance needs to be 8 times higher than the headphone amps/output impedance... Ideally 10 or more times. Every single professional guide says the same.. at least 8 (some say 10 fold minimum) times higher than the output impedance.

So 8 multiplied by the Zoom's output (33) = minimum 264 ohms headphones needed or 330 ohms if you use the safer 10 multiple.

264 ohms needed and the AKGs you recommend are 62 ohms.

How do you explain this because I'm confused.

Here's the blurb on your site recommending that these 62 ohm AKGs are ideal for this 33 ohm Zoom headphone output:

"the [Zoom UAC-2] headphone amp thanks to the added voltage provided over USB manage to drive these headphones better than a lot of other interfaces in the price bracket. Match them together and you have possibly the best performing and sounding starters package for anyone wishing to get into production."

Sounds like BS? (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Main question:

How is "the added voltage via USB" going to make matching 62 ohm headphones with 32 ohm headphone output "the best performing and sounding starters package for anyone wishing to get into production"?

Very interested to hear the answer on that.

And as an aside:

So you guys are saying the "added voltage over USB?".. ie: 5 Volt USB voltage for the device is somehow better than a standard powered device with headphone amp (ie: a hardware device plugged into a wall) because of the "added voltage via USB"?

Very interesting to see how this added USB voltage works, and how it's better than regular non-USB hardware headphone outputs.
Old 22nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhaas View Post
@ Peter Kaine

Back to the multiple aforementioned headphone output issues in these zooms (UAC-2, UAC-8) earlier in this thread, other threads including This Post..

On your website where you sell these units (as you plugged earlier in this thead).. Sold specifically with K702s recommended..
I had to check back, I go out of my way normally to try and not plug our website other than my signature. Someone else mentioned they were happy with the service, not me!

Quote:
Zoom UAC-2 USB 3.0 Interface with AKG K702 Studio Headphones

K702s are 62 ohms.. Zoom UAC headphone output is 33 ohm.. and every authoritative source on matching headphones to headphone amp / output insist that the headphone's impedance needs to be 8 times higher than the headphone amps/output impedance... Ideally 10 or more times. Every single professional guide says the same.. at least 8 (some say 10 fold minimum) times higher than the output impedance.

So 8 multiplied by the Zoom's output (33) = minimum 264 ohms headphones needed or 330 ohms if you use the safer 10 multiple.

264 ohms needed and the AKGs you recommend are 62 ohms.

How do you explain this because I'm confused.
I'm not going to be able to fully as I'm not responsible for bundling products on our website, so I get little say in what goes up and neither do I have any input on the listings themselves.

What I can say is that we bought up a load of Zoom stock last year after being impressed with it and we were offered a large amount of 702's which are always popular. Someone choose to bundle them, although this is pretty much the first time anyone has made me aware of them being in the same bundle.

Quote:
Here's the blurb on your site recommending that these 62 ohm AKGs are ideal for this 33 ohm Zoom headphone output:

"the [Zoom UAC-2] headphone amp thanks to the added voltage provided over USB manage to drive these headphones better than a lot of other interfaces in the price bracket. Match them together and you have possibly the best performing and sounding starters package for anyone wishing to get into production."

Sounds like BS? (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
The thing is pretty much all interfaces under £500 have pretty lousy headphone amps, hell, most of them above that price point do too. If you want a good headphone amp, you drop £500+ on that and then you buy your interface.

The Zoom is one of the better headphone amps I've heard on an AI at that price point. I'm not saying they are amazing, but they are better than average, and at that price point it's a pleasant change.

Quote:
How is "the added voltage via USB" going to make matching 62 ohm headphones with 32 ohm headphone output "the best performing and sounding starters package for anyone wishing to get into production"?

Very interested to hear the answer on that.
Speaking for someone elses thought process, but I remember having the conversation about it.

As I say, most interface headphone amps are pretty poor. Even more so if you only drive them off USB they get even more limited. USB 3 can deliver more power down the cable and that does reflect in how capable the headphone amp is in use.

Quote:
So you guys are saying the "added voltage over USB?".. ie: 5 Volt USB voltage for the device is somehow better than a standard powered device with headphone amp (ie: a hardware device plugged into a wall) because of the "added voltage via USB"?

Very interesting to see how this added USB voltage works, and how it's better than regular non-USB hardware headphone outputs.
Nope, they are saying that being a USB3 interface it'll drive them better than USB2 interfaces that have less voltage available.

Not sure I'd agree fully with that either, as plugging USB 2 interface into a USB 3 port would offer much the same affect but then I didn't write it, nor have I specifically tested that.

My choice would be a Deckard, but then I'm powering Audeze cans anyway.
Old 24th August 2017
Gear Head

QUestion on UAC-2 preamp connection

Hi guys, do you know if I connect an external preamp with xlr cable to Uac-2 xlr in there is a way to select line level? Or Must I use only the TRS input to avoid the UAC-2 preamp? Or use an XLR-TRS Neutrik adapter that I own?

Thank you,
Sorry I don´t know where to ask this.

Scott
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Oops...Double post
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottxx View Post
Hi guys, do you know if I connect an external preamp with xlr cable to Uac-2 xlr in there is a way to select line level? Or Must I use only the TRS input to avoid the UAC-2 preamp? Or use an XLR-TRS Neutrik adapter that I own?

Thank you,
Sorry I don´t know where to ask this.

Scott
They both go through the preamp...but you'll need to use the TRS for line level.
Old 25th August 2017
Gear Head

Thank you Stella!
Old 27th August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kaine View Post
Nope, they are saying that being a USB3 interface it'll drive them better than USB2 interfaces that have less voltage available.

Not sure I'd agree fully with that either, as plugging USB 2 interface into a USB 3 port would offer much the same affect but then I didn't write it, nor have I specifically tested that.

My choice would be a Deckard, but then I'm powering Audeze cans anyway.
Thanks for your reply but this info on your site is nonsense. They did not say "compared to USB2" and if they did it would be wrong anyway because USB2 has the same 5V as USB3 like I said before.

Shameless sales lies on your site.. someone should let the boss know and get all of this terrible 'advice' and downright lies (re: my previous post) pulled from the site.. unless.. it's the boss that's making this sales-bunk up to sell more product via misinforming those starting out?

--

Anyway, the scarlett gen2 range have a better headphone out for less money, but I just bought a UAC-8 just to test low latency performance. I'll get back about the headphone output but I'm using HD650s and my instinct is the freq response will be ok due to large impedance of HD650 @ around 300+ ohm I believe .
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
They did not say "compared to USB2" and if they did it would be wrong anyway because USB2 has the same 5V as USB3 like I said before.
USB 2 delivers 0.5A where as USB 3 delivers 0.9A

Quote:
Anyway, the scarlett gen2 range have a better headphone out for less money, but I just bought a UAC-8 just to test low latency performance. I'll get back about the headphone output but I'm using HD650s and my instinct is the freq response will be ok due to large impedance of HD650 @ around 300+ ohm I believe.
The Scarletts around the UAC price point advertise a 10-ohm impedance through, so I'm not sure how that would prove better in this situation and they also have a lower dynamic range too.

The Zoom is capable of driving the AKG's in the same fashion as the Focusrite is capable of driving Sennhisers. Neither are going to be the optimum solution, but then no interface and headphone amp will be at a budget price point. If you want that, you invest in a standalone headphone amp and interface setup and choose the parts that you need to match what you have already.
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

So finally I went that way and purchased the ZOOM UAC 2 and am very happy I did so. After 2.5 years of clicks and pops with my Audient iD22 (on windows) I gave up and followed the good reviews about Zooms performance.

The AD converters are the same as in the Audient id14, so I expected good quality. The preamps I haven't used yet, as I go through a GAP PRE 73 -> ART PRO VLA II into the line in of the ZOOM.
Long story short: I haven't had 1 single click or pop in the last weeks ! If there was no DAW on the screen, I would think I track to a HD recorder or tape. Audio quality is superb as well.
Seems that USB 3.0 is the was to go...(at least for not yet thunderbolt friendly windows pc)

Fun again to make music !
Just uploaded a little "demo"

Last edited by soulguitar; 31st August 2017 at 01:08 PM..
Old 11th September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
USB 2 delivers 0.5A where as USB 3 delivers 0.9A
As was made perfectly clear multiple times the subject your site was going on about is voltage not amperage as you are very well aware. Slippery guy aren't you? Did your site remove all other slippery sales misinformation I mentioned earlier about these dodgy fantasy headphone combo info and the related 'voltage' myths about the UAC yet?

Quote:
The Scarletts around the UAC price point advertise a 10-ohm impedance through, so I'm not sure how that would prove better in this situation and they also have a lower dynamic range too.
Yes I'd strongly agree that your 'not sure how'. What I know through researching many threads on different forums (and via their promo which albeit potentially biased somewhat seems to be more legit than the sales misinfo on your site) is the Focusrite (1st and esp. 2nd gen) has a 'relatively' well implemented headphone out electronically (by design) and that's reflected in there being not even half of the really negative user feedback from users having trouble listening on cans via the UAC.

BTW if in your argument you're saying: 'how can the Focusrite's mere 10 ohm output impedance possibly be "better" compared to the 33 ohm UAC's headphone out?'.. because you don't see how lower ohms on a headphone out be better?.. then wow.. I assumed you were a professional flogging these products with misinfo and defending it on GS with similarly dodge tactics. The fact is guys, lower (especially than 33 ohm) is often better when you consider the headphones (eg: AKG and 63 ohm) should have many times more impedance than the headphone amp (UAC 33 ohm). So obviously in a situation regarding comparing to 33 ohm headphone out lower output impedance is better, not higher is better. You tell me to buy a pro headphone amp (which I incidentally already mentioned earlier) but I ask you.. do you even have one?? Because think of this: what is it's headphone output impedance? Lower than 33 ohm or higher? Decent headphone amps have low impedance.. it's a good thing! For this very reason

(An often reliable rule of thumb is look to drive headphones with an device's headphone output impedance being *at least* 8 to 10 times *smaller* than the headphone's impedance.)

Quote:
The Zoom is capable of driving the AKG's in the same fashion as the Focusrite is capable of driving Sennhisers.
Wrong.

Actually, for impedance / frequency damping reasons, as I mentioned earlier, due to the laws of physics it is extremely unlikely that my 300 ohm Senn headphones to be driven in the same fashion from a Focusrite 10 ohm output... to a pair of 63 ohm cans from a Zoom 33 ohm output!

30 : 1 ratio

will be the "same" as

2 : 1 ratio?

Really? If this obfuscation is unintentional & you don't know this basic stuff then why are you arguing? This thread is to help users. Inventing unsound arguments to selfishly defend your site's awful sales tactics will just confuse people.

How deep does this hole need to be?

Please just google any beginners basic (or professional) guide to matching headphones. Headphone impedance should ideally be at least 8 to 10 times the headphone output impedance. Thanks for the 'advice' coming from a guy selling products on his site via slippery misinformation tricks* whilst also trying to back up his site claiming buy our UAC with 63 ohm AKG combo from us now because headphone out also sounds amazing because UAC 33 ohm headphone out is an unbeatable match of electronics (ha!!) - and also sounds better because USB 3 'has more volts'.

Nonsense. I feel sorry for beginners buying into this self-serving manipulative sales bunk.

What would have been a good response would be to say 'yes absolutely that should never have happened and we'll have the nonsense voltage misinfo saying about these magic combos based on nonsense removed from that page because it's basically sales lies' - 'and while I'm at it: yes I read a Beginners Guide to Headphones and, rather than endless excuses I now agree that 300 ohm Senn cans will indeed likely be more properly driven from the 10 ohm focusrite than the 63 ohm AKGs driven from the 33 ohm UAC output.'

*eg: sales 'advice' to mislead beginners printed on his scan website detailed in earlier post on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulguitar View Post
So finally I went that way and purchased the ZOOM UAC 2 and am very happy I did so. After 2.5 years of clicks and pops with my Audient iD22 (on windows) I gave up and followed the good reviews about Zooms performance.

The AD converters are the same as in the Audient id14, so I expected good quality. The preamps I haven't used yet, as I go through a GAP PRE 73 -> ART PRO VLA II into the line in of the ZOOM.
Long story short: I haven't had 1 single click or pop in the last weeks ! If there was no DAW on the screen, I would think I track to a HD recorder or tape. Audio quality is superb as well.
Congratulations, have you tested the pre-amps yet? btw regarding your line-in I do believe even if you line-in it will still go through the pres of the UAC.

I just bought a UAC-8 (basically because of the £££ to latency ratio and nothing else (for a latency dependent project)) and will check out the pres and headphone out. I've heard on the forums the pre-amps are a bit 'harsh' but we'll see if there if there's a noticeable harshness / change in the character of the input
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

that's quite a 4th post, superhaas
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I assumed you were a professional flogging these products with misinfo and defending it on GS with similarly dodge tactics.
I don't look after anything on that side, I deal with systems. So yes, you're right that I've clearly miss-understood a few things. I joined this thread discussing the USB chipset issues that were cropping up with the UAC itself and various systems, I hadn't really considered the headphone amp until you brought it up.

Quote:
You tell me to buy a pro headphone amp (which I incidentally already mentioned earlier) but I ask you.. do you even have one?? Because think of this: what is it's headphone output impedance? Lower than 33 ohm or higher? Decent headphone amps have low impedance.. it's a good thing! For this very reason
You're right, point taken and that is my error. I have one and now I look through the spec notes it's 3 ohm's.

Quote:
Really? If this obfuscation is unintentional & you don't know this basic stuff then why are you arguing?
I responded to it from the best of my understanding at the time you posed the question.

As far as I was aware higher impedance on the headphones means it's harder to drive, but you handle that by giving it more power out of the headphone amp. I know Zoom publish their available power output at 32oHm's where most firms don't seem too, so in that regard, it gets hard for me to make a direct comparison, even more so I guess if you're telling me I'm straight up wrong.

Quote:
*eg: sales 'advice' to mislead beginners printed on his scan website detailed in earlier post on this thread.
I asked for the product bundle to be fully removed from our backend which should delete any attached listings as the offer itself finished around the start of the year.

Last edited by Pete Kaine; 13th September 2017 at 10:18 PM..
Old 22nd September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
If enough people complain and ask for drivers to be written for AMD then it'll happen I imagine, they want to sell to as many people as possible after all!

It is ideal but I do not think that AMD will do this !
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberducks View Post
They replied after Xmas / NY break.

Gave me a link to the V1.0 64 bit Windows driver. It works, unlike the V1.1

I strongly suggest that anyone who has this interface does not touch V1.1 64 bit.

Link they gave me for V1.0 64 bit Windows is here, for anyone who had the same problem as me. I requested that they either take down or fix the 64 bit drivers, hopefully they will.

Copy.com

Still recognises USB3 ports as USB2, though.

Now that I have it working, I have to say, the headphone amp / output is really crap ... not that I was expecting anything great. Its job on the mic seems decent .. but I won't get the low latency until it recognises USB3.0 ports.

Their MixFx software could do with better documentation, and the dials in it are really unresponsive / twitchy.
I think the headphone preamp is quite good and very usable ,especially for along tracking and mixing sessions.I like the the fact that,it is loud enough,and has the protection in it to protect your ears,but people see the not so insanely loud output as a minus.
Who needs instructions for a super easy MixFx software,its simple,but very intuitive and powerful.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Hi Stella,

I did not show up in the window device manager and the mother board of MSI for Ryzen have almost 10 usb port both in 2.1 and 3.1 and I had been tested most of these ports and it did not working ( the message showed :"invalid configuration descriptor ")

Yes, USB ports worked perfect with other devices ( I connected all my disks through these port for copping the data and also external devices like mouse ...)

I had updated the chipset driver and sound drivers from MSI and Ryzen for Zoom also ...any solutions for my Zoom ?
Is CC mode enabled??? Disable it!!!
My AMD is an A10 7300P laptop. Take care of connect it to an USB3 interface with an USB3 cable.
Old 9th December 2018
Here for the gear

Hi guys, please, could somebody from UAC-2 owners check a lowest buffer size (at 44 or 48kHz) when is still possible to use a DAW audio and play youtube together without clicking and popping?
Now I have Scarlett Solo 2Gen and the lowest buffer value which is suitable for YT+DAW is 48 at 44kHz or 56 at 48kHz. Unfortunately both combinations gives me latency more approx. 7-8ms which I still "feel" during playing. Critical value for me is 5ms. Increasing of sampling rate is not a solution because I have to increase buffer too and latency is again around 7ms.
So I'm thinking about UAC-2, but I want to keep an opportunity to play on my guitar with VST in DAW (or VST Host) and listen/see YT videos at the same time.
Thank you for your answer!
Old 22nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Hello dear colleagues , I bought a month ago a new Zoom UAC-2 , a friend of mine noticed a strange problem with it on his computer while testing it , comparing it with his NI complete audio 2 , Audient id14. He noticed a strange constant high frequency sound while playing a sound , noticable on volume down.
I have done a test at home too and noticed the same issue , I have tested also my E-mu 1616m(no issue with it).
I made three videos to be able to show you what the problem exactly is , on the second video you can see how the pitch changes while changing the asio buffer size.
I think it is not a normal behavior and want to ask the owners if they have the same problem too.
I bought it from thomann and don't know if I must write a claim to thomann or straight to zoom , any advice is welcome.
Thank you in advance

YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
Old 26th August 2019
Here for the gear

I have owned a zoom UAC-2 for 3.5-ish years. I'm a drum teacher and use it to play drum sounds from Addictive Drums, when we hit my electronic pads (Aquarian OnHeads). I noticed over time that the vollume output to my speakers was dropping. I thought it was my crown amplifier wearing down over time. But, last week, I just happened to come a across at inexpensive used UAC-2 online, and thought it would be nice to install one in my recital room, so I wouldn't have to move as much stuff for my monthly recitals.

When I received the UAC-2, I promptly put it on top of the old one and swapped the wires. Suddenly the sound coming out of my speakers was deafening. I realized it was the UAC-2 that had been wearing down over time--not my power amp. Have any of you guys had this problem???

This is how I use it...
1. One MIDI cable in from the Alternate Mode DITI (that's what the Aquarian OnHeads plug into, too).
2. One USB out/in from my computer
3. Two 1/4" jack cables to the power amp.

I only turn the DITI/Computer/Power amp off, when I go out of town. --Rarely.

Has anybody got any idea what went wrong? Do you always have to turn off your Audio Converters? Or UAC-2's, or they die a slow death?

Thanks, ned
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned.zeppelin View Post
I have owned a zoom UAC-2 for 3.5-ish years. I'm a drum teacher and use it to play drum sounds from Addictive Drums, when we hit my electronic pads (Aquarian OnHeads). I noticed over time that the vollume output to my speakers was dropping. I thought it was my crown amplifier wearing down over time. But, last week, I just happened to come a across at inexpensive used UAC-2 online, and thought it would be nice to install one in my recital room, so I wouldn't have to move as much stuff for my monthly recitals.

When I received the UAC-2, I promptly put it on top of the old one and swapped the wires. Suddenly the sound coming out of my speakers was deafening. I realized it was the UAC-2 that had been wearing down over time--not my power amp. Have any of you guys had this problem???

This is how I use it...
1. One MIDI cable in from the Alternate Mode DITI (that's what the Aquarian OnHeads plug into, too).
2. One USB out/in from my computer
3. Two 1/4" jack cables to the power amp.

I only turn the DITI/Computer/Power amp off, when I go out of town. --Rarely.

Has anybody got any idea what went wrong? Do you always have to turn off your Audio Converters? Or UAC-2's, or they die a slow death?

Thanks, ned
Never. Have my UAC 2 since it came out 2015 I bought it in November. Using it already 4 years and no problem so far, love this AI.
Old 28th August 2019
If Zoom released a model with no preamps (only line-in, straight to converter), it would be friggin gold
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear
A lot of what I've read on these forums has been seriously considering buying a Zoom UAC-2, but I'm curious why there are so little reviews about it, especially on YouTube, when compared to other interfaces. Most of the reviews seem to be non-English.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenturtle View Post
A lot of what I've read on these forums has been seriously considering buying a Zoom UAC-2, but I'm curious why there are so little reviews about it, especially on YouTube, when compared to other interfaces. Most of the reviews seem to be non-English.
Hello,
I am on the same boat. On another forum, I couldn't find any discussion/info regarding the Zoom UAC-2, while they speak highly of Motu M2 (which is about $80 cheaper).

I am looking for a better DAC aspect in both for being able to connect guitar as well as which ever can play my JBL 305p better.

Motu M2 uses Sabre 32 DAC, while UAC 2 uses AKM AK4396. If somebody can please compare the two DACs, and advice which DAC is better, that would be truly appreciated.

---

I am looking to buy my first guitar (pretty late in life), I have behringer HD400 hum destroyer, I needed to know, just to learn guitars online, would I be able to connect my guitar to my PC without needing an extra interface and use the HD400? I have Jbl 305s connected to Asus Essence STX II soundcard through hd400. Thanks in advance for all your advises.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk2000 View Post
I am looking to buy my first guitar (pretty late in life), I have behringer HD400 hum destroyer, I needed to know, just to learn guitars online, would I be able to connect my guitar to my PC without needing an extra interface and use the HD400? I have Jbl 305s connected to Asus Essence STX II soundcard through hd400. Thanks in advance for all your advises.
The HD400 and your soundcard which has only a 1/4" mic/line combo input are about the worst setup for getting a guitar signal into a computer that one could come up with.

DI guitar (direct input with no mic involved) requires a very high impedance input generally 1meg or higher.

I suggest you get an audio interface that is usb or thunderbolt and has proper instrument input(s)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
The HD400 and your soundcard which has only a 1/4" mic/line combo input are about the worst setup for getting a guitar signal into a computer that one could come up with.

DI guitar (direct input with no mic involved) requires a very high impedance input generally 1meg or higher.

I suggest you get an audio interface that is usb or thunderbolt and has proper instrument input(s)
Thank you for clearing that up for me!

Could you please also let me know if Zoom G1X FOUR (budget guitar effects pedal) Can still be connected to a PC for the same application. It does have a usb slot it seems, and no monitor outputs required. Just as a guitar interface alone?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'm pretty sure the G1X can't operate as an audio interface.

If you don't want to spend too much to start have a look at interfaces like the Behringer UMC22, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Audient EVO 4 and several more. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need some "audiophile" DAC to get good sound from your JBLs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKahuna View Post
Behringer UMC22, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Audient EVO 4 and several more. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need some "audiophile" DAC to get good sound from your JBLs.
E
X
A
C
T
L
Y
📝 Reply