The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The missing piece of the audio chain...
Old 14th June 2015
Here for the gear

The missing piece of the audio chain...

Hello folks,
First time poster but serial lurker here!

I have a question which I'm sure you'll offer some great suggestions for.

I'm setting up a home studio as a voiceover artist (so really only using 1 max 2 channels). I have a Whisper Room in place...currently with the following setup...

Sontronics Saturn > Focusrite ISA One > ???? > Macbook Pro (no optical link before you ask!) > using Logic Pro X

I'm missing the audio interface (USB)...and i'm stumped at what to get or rather what works best with the Focusrite ISA One...I'm looking for something mid to moderate range (400-800). After reading many posts here, I know this may be an open ended question but would be good to hear the opinions of people who have a Focusrite ISA One and what they use in similar circumstances. (EDIT: Or should I scrap the ISA one outright and buy an 'all-in-one' product??)

Shortlist in no apparent order:

RME Babyface
Focusrite Scarlet/Sapphire
Focusrite Forte (although I hear this is too similar to the ISA one and they don't do too well together)
Apogee Duet
Audient iD22 Desktop Audio Interface and Monitor Controller

There's a million more out there...but need some guidance...

Thanks in advance!

S
Show replies
Old 14th June 2015
Lives for gear
All of them will work with what you have
Go with the Audient
Show replies
Old 14th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Focusrite has an ADC card for $400 that can be retrofitted into the ISA One.
Show replies
Old 15th June 2015
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Sontronics Saturn > Focusrite ISA One > ???? > Macbook Pro (no optical link before you ask!) > using Logic Pro X

Thanks in advance!

S
Hi Voyageur,

I'm not sure about the other interfaces you are looking at, but iD22 allows you to fully bypass its preamps if you want to by plugging gear into the RET jacks on the back of the unit. This takes signal directly into the ADC and so you aren't altering the sound of your ISA One preamp by putting it through another preamp.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Harry
Show replies
Old 15th June 2015
Lives for gear

I'd sure go for an apogee duet.

Also the id22 and the spl crimson would be solid choices.
Show replies
Old 15th June 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm wondering if I should be thinking about it the other way..which interfaces work best with Logic Pro X as well.

In regards to above choices...Audient ID22 is currently top of the list...Babyface is also there as well so probably one of them...as long as they are friendly to Logic Pro X and the other way around, it's all good.
Hoping the Audient ID22 isn't a bit OTT for my needs. Really just vocals, one mic etc.
Show replies
Old 16th June 2015 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm wondering if I should be thinking about it the other way..which interfaces work best with Logic Pro X as well.

In regards to above choices...Audient ID22 is currently top of the list...Babyface is also there as well so probably one of them...as long as they are friendly to Logic Pro X and the other way around, it's all good.
Hoping the Audient ID22 isn't a bit OTT for my needs. Really just vocals, one mic etc.
I actually have an iD22 at home which I use most nights with Logic Pro X. I mainly do electronic production with a bit of recording, but I have also recorded a couple of tracks for singer songwriter (guitar/vocals) as well as larger channel count sessions using digital preamps alongside it and in all situations it works great for me.

I find iD22 can be as simple or complex as you want. For me it is simple, maybe a mic or DI and then playback from Logic. I can just plug it in and it will work how I need it. However you can still create more complex setups with setting up Cue mixes for headphones and things like that, or even hardware FX processing etc. So it caters for a large number of situations.

Thanks,
Harry
Show replies
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Head

El distressor
Show replies
Old 19th June 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks guys, looks like i'll reach out for the id22. I'm planning to use a 'phone patch' as well...i.e. live direction through skype, I guess I could tweak the id22 to do this without having a mixing board?
Show replies
Old 19th June 2015
Here for the gear

Actually thinking of ditching the FocusriteISAone outright and going for the id22 on it's own...since it does everything in one!
Show replies
Old 19th June 2015 | Show parent
Quote:

The apogee stuff has Logic integration - you can control preamps, phantom power, input type, etc. from the Logic X mixer window... very nice integration and it works. Apogee's conversion is also very good.
Show replies
๐Ÿ“ Reply