The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What size monitors should I get for my room?
Old 12th June 2015
Gear Maniac

What size monitors should I get for my room?

Hi,

I just discovered that the "room" (basement) I'll be moving into should be about 14ft long and 9ft wide. That's not the exact size, it's a little bit larger but let's just go with that.

Is this big enough for a 8inch monitor or am I better off sticking with a 6.5/7 inch?
Old 13th June 2015
Gear Maniac

59 views and no responses? =(
Old 13th June 2015
Venom

Just update your previous threads. No need to start a new one.
Old 13th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Bigger monitors give you 2 things:

1) More volume. You probably don't need this in a small room.

2) Lower frequency reproduction. You will need this no matter how small or large your room is.

I can only speak from the experience I had with my 5 inch monitors, but they just didn't put out enough low end to be usable without a sub. Yes, small rooms have lots of issues at low frequencies, but to eliminate them altogether with small monitors doesn't really solve the problem. My 5" monitors cut off at about 80Hz, even though the box said 45Hz. They worked fine when used with a sub, but when used alone, they were pretty useless.
Old 13th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozmillar View Post
My 5" monitors cut off at about 80Hz, even though the box said 45Hz. They worked fine when used with a sub, but when used alone, they were pretty useless.
Not all 5" monitors have this problem.
Old 13th June 2015
Just get the best one you can afford. you can either 5" to 7" ones with a sub or you can get 8" ones without a sub. Its personal preference. Spend more time tuning your basement as this will cost allot more money than studio monitors and you can have the best studio monitors in the world an they will sound like CRAP if your basement room is not treated and tuned with sound absorption

CJ
Old 13th June 2015
Hi _VenoM! New guy here.

As CJ Mastering recommended, tune your room. That said, I recently went through the monitor search myself and settled on JBL LSR 305s, which I'm using with an existing bi-amped sub. They are a great bang-for-the-buck (recent street prices of $260 a pair) and offer very good clarity and imaging. The Yamaha HS7 (6.5" LF driver) was another model that made my cut (also very good sounding) and are an alternative if you want to go without a sub, but their street prices are much higher, around $450 a pair. Behringer has the new Nekkest series monitors that have started shipping and appear to be worth a listen - their HS7 equivalent streets around $360 a pair. I also auditioned the lower-end Mackies, KRK Rockits and Pre Sonus monitors but each fell short of my expectations.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by keystation; 13th June 2015 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 14th June 2015
Gear Maniac

I hope you guys are right...
Old 15th June 2015
Bad news.
There is no actual right.

A room, speakers and mix has so many variables and scientific reasons along with the one thing intangible.....what sounds good to you.

Even in a perfect room one speaker could simply sound better to you than another.

But as long as the room is treated for the primary concerns......
Reflections and Bass
You should be fine with either purchase JBL or Yamaha

Good luck. Stop stalling and get to work.

Personally I would treat the room first.
Then go to the store, pick up a pair and go home and listen.
Then even if your happy, get another pair and do the same.

Now you can compare in your room, and simply decide on which pair to keep.
Old 15th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drethe5th View Post
Bad news.
There is no actual right.

A room, speakers and mix has so many variables and scientific reasons along with the one thing intangible.....what sounds good to you.

Even in a perfect room one speaker could simply sound better to you than another.

But as long as the room is treated for the primary concerns......
Reflections and Bass
You should be fine with either purchase JBL or Yamaha

Good luck. Stop stalling and get to work.

Personally I would treat the room first.
Then go to the store, pick up a pair and go home and listen.
Then even if your happy, get another pair and do the same.

Now you can compare in your room, and simply decide on which pair to keep.
Lol I'm not stalling man believe me. I actually spoke to you several months ago about the Apollo Twin Duo when I was trying to decide which interface to get, and I still don't even have one yet. In one month is when I'll be moving and can finally begin purchasing everything.

From what I heard at Guitar Center out of every monitor that I utilized LSR 308 was by far the best sounding but behind that I liked the Yamaha HS7. The thing is I don't even know if they have their room set up correctly...but based off what I heard all of the Yamaha's sounded good for their price range even the HS5 (if i had to settle for it I'd be fine) except for the Yamaha HS8. I didn't listen to that one as much so I'll admit I should be re try it but when I did a brief side by side with the LSR308 and HS8 the LSR was the one that had me going DAMN!

I've thought about if I should sound treat the room first and then get the studio monitors but Idk...I'll have to begin blowing up that section in a little bit after I'm done with the monitors. I want to treat my room but wouldn't like investing too many pay checks in sound treatment I'd like to get the monitors first and then sound treat because I'm sure I'll be able to at least make something decent sounding without my room even being fully treated. My plan IS to treat my room as much as possible but I'd like to go the route that will get me recording as fast as possible music that sounds good to your average listener.
Old 15th June 2015
The store isn't set up perfectly. They have to fit as many pairs as possible in there, plus the glass windows, untreated corners and the speaker positions are not accurate listening environments.

Therefore you still didn't get a accurate picture of how it sounds.
The best way to choose is by bringing them home.

However you have to ask yourself how accurate they sound in your home? Without some level of treatment and absorption, youll get them at the right height and distance, but the sound will be bouncing around the room, and the bass will be trapped in the corners, causing it to sound like it's banging in certain areas of the room, and sound thin in other parts of the room.
Old 15th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The store isn't set up perfectly. They have to fit as many pairs as possible in there, plus the glass windows, untreated corners and the speaker positions are not accurate listening environments.

Therefore you still didn't get a accurate picture of how it sounds.
The best way to choose is by bringing them home.

However you have to ask yourself how accurate they sound in your home? Without some level of treatment and absorption, youll get them at the right height and distance, but the sound will be bouncing around the room, and the bass will be trapped in the corners, causing it to sound like it's banging in certain areas of the room, and sound thin in other parts of the room.
You have a point =/

Maybe I should just invest in some headphones for now whilst building up the studio? I mean I'd imagine they will sound good eventually regardless since I'll be sound treating as much of my room as I can since Guitar Center didn't even have all of their room treated yet they sounded good...
Old 15th June 2015
Yes. Just don't over do it.

I'd nail the corners and the wall behind where you plan to set up the speakers.

Then when you get your pair, listen and add more, as you see necessary.

Nothing wrong with headphones while you get it right. You'll be happier in the end.
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes. Just don't over do it.

I'd nail the corners and the wall behind where you plan to set up the speakers.

Then when you get your pair, listen and add more, as you see necessary.

Nothing wrong with headphones while you get it right. You'll be happier in the end.
I went in for a last time to re hear all of the studio monitors and still I didn't like HS8. Who knows, maybe it's because they didn't set up the room correctly but based off what I heard I'm going to stay away. The last time I went in I liked the JBL LSR308 the most but this time after hearing them more extensively it was a tie between JBL LSR308 and Yamaha HS7. Maybe I'm crazy, but I've decided to stick with the HS7 and call it a day. The lsr308 SOUNDS good but the Yamaha HS7 has the reputation for giving you what's really there and I actually liked the sound I was hearing. I heard multiple songs through it and I didn't hear anything wrong with it. I know that it's suppose-ably mid focused & I can't even point out what is high end, low end or mid end. I just know that they sounded good. I checked out the JBL LSR305 again and they were still alright but the HS5 sounded better. The 305 sounded kind of "boxy"...idk, I just thought the HS5 were more clear.

So it's great that I've heard them more extensively because the HS7 is going to be my choice. If I HAD to get a 5 inch the HS5 is fine as well I see but the HS7 is louder so I'll stick with that.

It feels good to finally be done researching for which speakers to get.

I'll either settle for ear phones for now or sound treat the corner / wall behind the speakers...most likely the second option but we'll see.
Old 17th June 2015
Good.
That's all that matters to an extent. Either pair is good, and it more so boils down to personal preference as long as they aren't bad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search