The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Low End Gold Awards Condenser Microphones
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Low End Gold Awards

We should have a Low End Gold Award thread. Any objections? ......long pause

Good!

Must be universally loved by the Low End ppl and must be bargain priced or cheap or excellent value for money.

For example don't put Rode NT1 because its a sh it mic for ppl who can't engineer, it has to be universally acknowledged as great gear eg sm57 no debate about, ok?.

If the thread takes off maybe someone can clasify into mics, preamps, converters etc Noobs can then look at the Awards and use it with a certain ammount of confidence knowing that these tools are serious, reliable and value for money. Which differs from the exhaustive nature of the meta lists.

I'll go first, remember this is LOW END certified Gold. (Hopefully admin can edit out any lemons)

Gold Awards:
SM57
RNC
Yamaha i88x Preamps
AT4040
Emu 1820m
Old 28th December 2006
what's the cut-off?
my low end would be <$500

With that in mind I will contribute the following

shure sm7
oktava mc012
at4033
audix D6
sennheiser md421
DBX160
symetrix 501
art pro VLA
nady/t-bone/tape-op ribbons
fender pro junior
tubescreamers
sansamp bass DI
hughes and kettner redbox
radial di/reamp boxes
hellatone speakers
zildjian a series cymbals
ludwig acrolite snares
iron cobra pedals
celestion vintage 30's
Old 28th December 2006
I love my NT1 but didn't we aknowledge it being hard to get used to?

I get a great sound out of mine...I want R0DE to sponsor my studio...

Ok, here's some of my submissions (for your approval)

Shure SM57 (duh)
+1 on the SM7
Audix i5
Sennheiser e609silver black and 906
Sennheiser Md421
EV RE20
Shure Beta 52
D112
We should up the limit for interfaces..
Behringer ADA8000 best value ADA/lightpipe
Behringer BCF2000 best surface under 500
M-Audio DMP-3 (super-low end pre category?)
FMR RNP Best value Compressor?
SoundGrabber Best PZM still available in retail?
Audio Technica ATHM40fs Best Headphones under 100?
AT4040 Best Condensor Under 300?
Reason Most Useful Synth Rig under 500

Last edited by donsolo; 28th December 2006 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: you know...stuff
Old 28th December 2006

Owens Corning 703

-tINY

Old 28th December 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Owens Corning 703

-tINY

Probably the most under rated gear of all
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

i like the under 50 buck super low end category....
cos i like the challenge of seeing what i can get out of super low end...lol
here are my nominations...
used 57 (agreed)
an old jvc mic i have (cost nothing given it...sounds good on some things.)
some cassette dek mic pres....(try them for grungy tracks....
some might actually be too clean....lol....5 buks.)
some cheap apex mics i once tried.
my wifes stockings as a pop screen....(free...lol.)
the software i use in my sig.(superb.)
an old traynor guitar amp i picked up for 5 buks.

c'est la vie.
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

You ask a completely opinionated question, then ask for moderators to edit out things that are "wrong?" Then you tell someone they're full of crap for presenting their opinion?

I think the attitude of this thread is "low end."

There are lots of people that can make much better records than you or I ever could using just NT1s. Does that mean those great engineers are "talking crap" too?

Too lazy to do a search? If you want someone else to spend your money for you, just send it over to me! I'll tell you exactly what gear will be the best bang for your buck because I am the supreme master of the universe!
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

I love Röde! Everything is debateable!

Well, here´s my list of cheap stuff I use over and over again - stuff that certainly does the job. (Recorded a whole album with a few of these gems recently).

1. SM57 (get many of them!)
2. Beta 52
3. MXL V67
4. Joe Meek pres (for example 3q)
5. ADK A51s
6. Presonus Firepod (is it under 500?)
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
You ask a completely opinionated question, then ask for moderators to edit out things that are "wrong?" Then you tell someone they're full of crap for presenting their opinion?

I think the attitude of this thread is "low end."

There are lots of people that can make much better records than you or I ever could using just NT1s. Does that mean those great engineers are "talking crap" too?

Too lazy to do a search? If you want someone else to spend your money for you, just send it over to me! I'll tell you exactly what gear will be the best bang for your buck because I am the supreme master of the universe!
Compare an At4040 with an NT1, about the same price, but the AT4040 is in a different ballpark right?

I'm not asking if you like NT1's, who cares?

They're crap, do an A/B with a good mic that costs the same money. If you give the NT1 a Gold award then we'll have C3's, MXL 2001's, and every other crap china mic produced in the last 10 years here. We want certified Low End Gold like RNC and SM57, read the first post again please. Don't want to hear about your bloody foot pedals etc use your brains?? C'mon!

If you want that sort of guff go to the meta.. that's what its there for!
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe we can put up contenders and the moderators can select the list that way there's no flaming etc.
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgen View Post
Maybe we can put up contenders and the moderators can select the list that way there's no flaming etc.
What makes the moderators more qualified than anyone else to say what mics they like the best? Don't mean to flame, but this is kind of a fruitless endeavor, and I'm having a hard time understanding what your purpose is with this thread.

Personally, I think the MXL990 is a great mic for the money. I also love the MXL603s. I've made plenty of good recordings with them. They're made in China. What's your point?

I've used the RNC on a couple of things and I wasn't impressed with it. I love the RNLAs, tho! I'm sure there are people who would say just the opposite. Just curious, have you ever used the RNC, or do you just think it's "low end gold" because someone told you it was?

I have compared the 4040 to the NT1. I think they're both good mics, just different. If I had to choose one for most things, I'd choose the 4040, but the 4040 isn't going to win a shootout against the NT1 every time. If you want to think it will, then it might, but in passing this judgment, you're limiting your work and your client's product to potentially inferior results.

If you want a certain moderator's opinion, why don't you search their posts to see what cheap gear they like? Or just ask them yourself? Or better yet, why don't you use your brains and formulate your own opinions on what gear you like and dislike by trying them out yourself?

Sorry for being a wrench in your gears, but you're trying to turn opinions into facts, and nobody could possibly benefit from that.

I think if you open your mind a little more and stop dogging other people's opinions when you ask for them, this thread might serve some purpose, although that purpose will mostly likely continue to elude me.
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

- FMR RNP/RNC
- MXL v69ME with a NOS Mullard tube
- ART PRO VLA (with NOS JAN tubes and different op-amps)
- EV RE20
- Audix drum mics (D6 kick, i5 on snare, D4 on toms)
- Shure SM7, SM57, and Beta 58 (great for live apps)
- CAD mics, as well as ADK Hamburg and Vienna
- AT4050 (can get one used for under $500)
- ATM40fs headphones
- Used Grace 101 (can be had for under $450)
- Groove Tubes the Brick (awesome bass DI)
- Blue Sky Media and Pro Desk (pro desk runs for about $1k, so not TOO low end)

lots more.
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
What makes the moderators more qualified than anyone else to say what mics they like the best? Don't mean to flame, but this is kind of a fruitless endeavor, and I'm having a hard time understanding what your purpose is with this thread.

Personally, I think the MXL990 is a great mic for the money. I also love the MXL603s. I've made plenty of good recordings with them. They're made in China. What's your point?

I've used the RNC on a couple of things and I wasn't impressed with it. I love the RNLAs, tho! I'm sure there are people who would say just the opposite. Just curious, have you ever used the RNC, or do you just think it's "low end gold" because someone told you it was?

I have compared the 4040 to the NT1. I think they're both good mics, just different. If I had to choose one for most things, I'd choose the 4040, but the 4040 isn't going to win a shootout against the NT1 every time. If you want to think it will, then it might, but in passing this judgment, you're limiting your work and your client's product to potentially inferior results.

If you want a certain moderator's opinion, why don't you search their posts to see what cheap gear they like? Or just ask them yourself? Or better yet, why don't you use your brains and formulate your own opinions on what gear you like and dislike by trying them out yourself?

Sorry for being a wrench in your gears, but you're trying to turn opinions into facts, and nobody could possibly benefit from that.

I think if you open your mind a little more and stop dogging other people's opinions when you ask for them, this thread might serve some purpose, although that purpose will mostly likely continue to elude me.
I don't care if you like MXL990's. Use the meta if you don't understand the criteria, you can tell everyone there which china mics rock your world.

I agree entirely with the Post above for instance, they are all Low End Gold, excellent products and great value for the money. The price is not the crucial issue but they are value for money, very affordable, well made with excellent components etc. thumbsup

The 990 with an up ended SDC 603 capsule doesn't do it imo! Junk. tutt
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think what we're dealing with here is a cultural misunderstanding. In Australian culture, there is actually no percievable difference between fact and opinion. All "opinions", whether corroborated or not, are usually presented as no less reasonable than gravity or the earth we stand on. This behavior seems to be especially prevalent in pubs. I've been doing some anthropological reasearch on my Aussie work partner.

heh
Old 28th December 2006
Gear maniac

• Vintage Bogen amps on Ebay or wherever you can find one. I won mine for $5 from my company auction.
  • Studio Projects B1
  • DIY projects
  • Dumpster carpet, mattresses or friends who think about you before they throw away stuff like this.
  • Really good friends with gear - favors for each other.
  • Duct tape
  • Rope
Old 28th December 2006
let's set up some categories...I think the 1A and 4040 are different categories myself...

Best Preamp $100/channel or less.
Best preamp $500/channel or Less (my vote is the brick)
Best LD Condensor Microphone 0-100
Best LD Condensor 100-300
Best LD Condensor 300-500

Best DI box under 100
Best DI box over 100

Best Monitors up to $300 per pair
Best Monitors up to $500 per pair (500 is the upper limit of this thread)

Best SD Condensor 0-250
Best SD Condensor 250-500

Best Utility Dynamic 0-150 (SM57 with the i5 and e609 as honorable mentions)
Best Utility Dynamic 150-500 (Sm7 with RE20 and MD421 as honorable mentions)

Best Plugin under $300

Best outboard Compressor under 200
over 200
Reverb under 200
over 200

We should also qualify this as being New Gear because the used market is less stable in price...

I'm all for this thread, though the Meta kinda handled this...

As for the Mods handling the winning, they're the ones who read every single post and thread and so they're most accutely aware of the opinions of this board and the concensus about everything...that's why they should be allowed to go back and clean this up...

I vote for a sticky
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Thing is, it's very hard to give each category a winner. There will always be different opinions! For every 'winner' there's plenty alternatives...

Why not just go further and have everybody mention his favourite bits, without going into discussion too much with eachother? It can be good to see what others use, and might make you give those items a try as well.

Discussions can be interesting, but please start another thread about them in this case!
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Why cant this just be a list, instead of a disagreement?
Everything sucks in the wrong hands, expensive or new.
Every unexperienced mixing judgement sux to some degree also.

OK

Heres mine:
MXL V67
Oktava 012
Oktava 219 modded (makes it under the 500 limit)
Joemeek SixQ (used to be under, mentioned anyway, stellar feature set)
VTB-1
gaseous behavior (lotta fun, costs nothing, breaks ice, and nervousness)

Thats about it for now, may add more later.
Old 28th December 2006
Gear interested

I have toiled and dabbled with some pretty cheap ass mics...Then I found the EV RE20. Fantastic Mic for the cost....That is my only input...I don`t get to play much...
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

alesis 3630
art anything
my studio projects mic that kills u87's
dbx 266
Anything BBE (everything bbe makes your music sound better)
fake sm58's (hey, they're cheap and they look the same)
anything that has a tube in it, especially if it lights up through a little glass so i can see it

i win.
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't care if you like MXL990's. Use the meta if you don't understand the criteria, you can tell everyone there which china mics rock your world.

I agree entirely with the Post above for instance, they are all Low End Gold, excellent products and great value for the money. The price is not the crucial issue but they are value for money, very affordable, well made with excellent components etc. thumbsup

The 990 with an up ended SDC 603 capsule doesn't do it imo! Junk. tutt

So this thread really isn't about what WE feel are "gold" it's more how you feel which to me makes no sense. Nobody here cares what the YOU specifically like, sure it's nice for you to share your opinion but don't tell other people they're wrong because you think the product sucks. That's just plain ridiculous, hell this thread is pretty ridiculous with your rules.
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Cool

oktava-mkl 2500
shure beta 52
sennheiser e906
guyatone guitar pedals
direct sound extreme isolation phones
soundcraft compact 10

all of them pretty low end but awesome (for the price that is...)
Old 28th December 2006
Gear maniac

Shinny box Ribbon under 200$
Samson CO2 pencil condenser 140$ or less
DMP-3 pre-175$ or less
DBX comp- 200$ or less
Guitar/Bass- tuner 50$
How to tune drums video-priceless
Sansamp Bass DI 200$
Another vote for the SM57
Morley horsey wha wha 175$
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Trust a bunch of engineers to take something simple and make it complicated. Sheesh.

SM-7
SM-57
SM-58
Beyer M88
Old 28th December 2006
Gear maniac

here's my ones:
tascam 38 reel-reel 8 track
electrovoice ev635a
beyer soundstar mkII
t bone rb500
casio cz101 - although these are starting to go for silly amounts now electro's 'in' again(i got mine for £50 10 years ago)
peavey classic 20 valve amps
mattresses/tables/lamps/speakers/bricks etc from dumpsters
k&m mic stands
neutrik connectors on cables you thought had died but are actually fine
jlm baby animal mic pre kits
diy mods and kits in general
eh big muff(russian version)
wire hangers and old tights
mixing with your mind by mike stavrou
ventolin asthma pumps(great secret weapon on vocalists, make sure it's clean and they've used one before without side-effects, preferably get them to use their own prescribed ones)
fishermans friends menthol sweets - great for fixing overly nasal or dull sounding voices
nicotine patches - smoking's so bad for your voice/gear/health!
duvets - great for recording vocals and also for sleeping under if you get locked in the studio overnight!!
Old 29th December 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
gaseous behavior (lotta fun, costs nothing, breaks ice, and nervousness)
You'll probably want to compress that about 3:1 and add a bit of spring reverb to really bring out the resonance. maybe put it through a big muff?
Old 29th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
We should have a Low End Gold Award thread. Any objections? ......long pause

Good!

Must be universally loved by the Low End ppl and must be bargain priced or cheap or excellent value for money.

For example don't put Rode NT1 because its a sh it mic for ppl who can't engineer, it has to be universally acknowledged as great gear eg sm57 no debate about, ok?.

If the thread takes off maybe someone can clasify into mics, preamps, converters etc Noobs can then look at the Awards and use it with a certain ammount of confidence knowing that these tools are serious, reliable and value for money. Which differs from the exhaustive nature of the meta lists.

I'll go first, remember this is LOW END certified Gold. (Hopefully admin can edit out any lemons)

Gold Awards:
SM57
RNC
Yamaha i88x Preamps
AT4040
Emu 1820m

I am just here to disagree with the NT1 dig, the older ones are exellent mics. the NT1-A sucks. dont know how its gonna make a bad engineer? good?

and , Yes, I know how to engineer.
Old 29th December 2006
Lives for gear

I still am secretly amazed in a joking way eveytime I see an "EV RE-20" listed in the low-end =) So what if it can be had for <$500, its still a great piece of engineering

MY list :

(Mics)
SM-57
SM-7
Beta-58
Beta-57 (not Beta-57A)
Audix D6
MXL-990
MXL-2001 w/ Royer Mod
SM-86 (Yeah thats right.. golden for live, much better than Beta-87)

(Pres)
Rane MS-1b
ART MPA Gold

-Gotta Catch a plane in a min Will edit later

P.S. Good Points Alex

Happy Holidays
Old 29th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
Thing is, it's very hard to give each category a winner. There will always be different opinions! For every 'winner' there's plenty alternatives...

Why not just go further and have everybody mention his favourite bits, without going into discussion too much with eachother? It can be good to see what others use, and might make you give those items a try as well.

Discussions can be interesting, but please start another thread about them in this case!
Ok, your right, everyones opinion is valid, just didn't want to get every china mic on the list, might as well go to the meta? Maybe we can have a sure fire winner for each category and then the highly recommended gear with it.

Telling someone their microphone sux is like saying your girlfriend is ugly. I'm not trying to be rude just trying to prevent the list from being unecessarily burdened?
Old 29th December 2006
Lives for gear

Shure KSM44, AT 4050
Both are awesome condensors

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search