The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing wireless brands
Old 6th August 2014
Here for the gear

Mixing wireless brands

Hi,

I use IEMs and have an audio technica M3 system. When I looked at getting a second receiver I was blown by the price. Audio Technica say you can't even use the M2 reciever (way cheaper) but is this just a selling piont.

Is it possible to use a different brand?

If you buy another receiver and set it to the same frequency, shouldn't it pick up whats being braodcast at that frequency?

Or is there some kind of coding manufacturers use to stop this?

Thanks,
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

If you're in the US, I think you'll find more problems than just price. The "M" frequency band won't be legal or usable much longer with the FCC selling off bandwidth for data and telecom.
Old 6th August 2014
Here for the gear

I'm in NZ, yes its the M band which over here has been cleared and we can legally use it till 2020. But reguations and frequencies aside, we are assuming both receiver and transmitter of differing brands are set to the same frequency.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Different manufacturers MAY use different modulation and companding methods. You have to check specific models.

Andre
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

And when you say check different models, actually get my hands on them and see if they work? ... as opposed to being able to read the specifications on model info.

So is there anyone out there that has tried and succeeded of failed on certain models?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
Probably not. Manufacturers usually use different pilot tones and compounding schemes that are proprietary. Don't even count on mixing models within a brand as it won't always work.

Your best bet you be to consult with the manufacturer.

Last edited by dboomer; 7th August 2014 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: sorry ... read the question wrong :)
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

Unless you know what you are looking for the published specs probably won't help. Different systems may use different companding chips, have different transmission power, the list goes on. Doesn't mean it can't be done by any means but it's certainly not as simple as you might believe. Very rarely do I hear of someone mixing wireless components successfully
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
I wouldn't count on being able to do this. I don't use AT wireless though so I couldn't tell you for sure
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search