The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hooking up a power amp to a powered mixer to feed the mains or monitors?
Old 17th June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hooking up a power amp to a powered mixer to feed the mains or monitors?

HI, new to forum, but need your help. I have a Behringer PMH1000, some Peavey 15s, a used Peavey CS-400 power amp I was just given and some monitors.

From past experience this powered mixer will not push those Peaveys. So, I would like to use the used Peavey stereo amp for that purpose. So, how can I use the Behringer powered mixer to feed the monitors and how do I hook up the power amp to the Peavey 15s...i.e. how do I connect all this, do I use line outs, change Main, Mono, Bridged settings, use monitor outs (but they are unpowered)? Anyway, am sure someone in here has run into using a powered mixer in different setups. Please don't suggest different equipment, am just trying to use what I have to play out with a few gigs coming up. Thanks for listening and assisting, DR
Old 18th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
oops
Old 18th June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The mixer's "Main Out" jacks are the ones you need to connect to an external amp. The Behringer's manual say they are unbalanced 1/4 jacks @ 150 ohms.

According to its manual there are two sorts of inputs on the Peavey. Ideally you'd use the Lo-Z ones, which are balanced XLR jacks.

You'll need a pair of adapter cables that go from a male 1/4" unbalanced connector to a male XLR connector. My guess is that a pair of cheap Hosa PXM105's will do the trick.
Old 18th June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, I kinda figured that. So, I need to route the monitor send to the power amp insert to use the PMH1000 to push the monitors right? Thanks for assisting, psongman
Old 18th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psongman View Post
Yeah, I kinda figured that. So, I need to route the monitor send to the power amp insert to use the PMH1000 to push the monitors right? Thanks for assisting, psongman
That should work. Obviously you should try everything out before your gig. Give the new cables a good wiggling
Old 18th June 2014
KEL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't understand why the Behringer won't "push" the Peavey while the CS400 does? They are basically the same power output, +- 20 watts.
Old 19th June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The Behringer PMH1000 is so overrated specwise, it is not funny. A friend who helped me run the live sound at the youth center, said if they put out 50 watts it would be overstating it, as we had all the faders almost maxxed out most of the time. I had to use some ART preamps I had laying around for the main vocals, when were announcing or some single vocals...though this did work well. I see why everyone uses preamps now, esp. for voice. Any more input appreciated, esp. on best cables needed for the price, psongman
Old 19th June 2014
KEL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think you may be confusing some aspects of how these things work.

your friend tested the output? Even taking your friend's assessment at face value, does he know how much louder 110 watts is over the claimed 50?

if you had all the faders maxed out, could it be that you didn't have enough PA, perhaps were setting the input gains incorrectly or had the EQ jacked up somehow?

Preamps into preamps does nothing really and is not an example of why people use them. They're not used to jack up the level because of a quiet PA.
Old 19th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL View Post
I think you may be confusing some aspects of how these things work.

your friend tested the output? Even taking your friend's assessment at face value, does he know how much louder 110 watts is over the claimed 50?

if you had all the faders maxed out, could it be that you didn't have enough PA, perhaps were setting the input gains incorrectly or had the EQ jacked up somehow?

Preamps into preamps does nothing really and is not an example of why people use them. They're not used to jack up the level because of a quiet PA.

The mixer in question has only four mic pre's despite the six XLR inputs. So if you plug a mic into one of the line channels (5/6 or 7/8), you really do not have a mic pre. This is one possible point of confusion.

Really, there is no reason other than inexperience or broken gear somewhere in the signal chain that this simple setup should work...up to the point where it's just too small to fill the bill.

It should work if one takes the time to learn the basics and not make unfounded assumptions or wild guesses.
Old 20th June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the comments. However, I know which ones had the mic preamps and I know how to run a basic sound system. The Peavey 15's, we have them at church also, need quite a bit of power to push them. Believe me we tried everything.

I can't remember which poster said preamps shouldn't matter that much. Well, they should record with me in my small studio, they mean quite a lot. In fact, if I could afford it, that would be my next major upgrade purchase, esp. for vocals. They do make the output louder, in the sense, that you don't have to compete with other instruments. Well, have all the info, will hook some stuff up this weekend. I am going to use the XLR inputs on the Peavey power amp, everyone seems to imply that this is the avenue to take, DR
Old 20th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psongman View Post
Thanks for the comments. However, I know which ones had the mic preamps and I know how to run a basic sound system. The Peavey 15's, we have them at church also, need quite a bit of power to push them. Believe me we tried everything.

I can't remember which poster said preamps shouldn't matter that much. Well, they should record with me in my small studio, they mean quite a lot. In fact, if I could afford it, that would be my next major upgrade purchase, esp. for vocals. They do make the output louder, in the sense, that you don't have to compete with other instruments. Well, have all the info, will hook some stuff up this weekend. I am going to use the XLR inputs on the Peavey power amp, everyone seems to imply that this is the avenue to take, DR
Let's look at this with more information.

What output mode was selected, regular or bridged, and how are the speakers connected? SEE PARTICULARLY ITEMS 71 & 72 ON PAGE 7 OF THE MANUAL.

Was the EQ engaged or no?

What mic(s) were you using?

How were the mics connected to the mixer...XLR or 1/4"?

Were there any other cables connected to any of the mixer jacks?

Anything inserted?

How old is the mixer?

Have you cleaned the insert jacks? A bit of oxidation there can in fact keep a channel input from fully passing signal.

Something is missing in all this. It should be working, but apparently not.

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier, but how is the mixer connected to the speakers and exactly which model of Peavey speakers are they?

Thanks.
Old 20th June 2014
KEL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yea, something doesn't add up. Wyllys' questions might answer something.

again, to clarify. A mic preamp, whether it be in the studio or on a live sound mixer, isn't used to make the signal louder than another mic preamp. Although the Behringer preamps are not considered high end at all, they are most definitely loud enough, and they are of enough quality for what anyone would be doing with a powered mixer like this. ART preamps are but a sidestep away. To me this says something is wrong with the setup, as alluded to above. To say you now understand why people use mic preamps for voice is an incomplete thought.

each of the 6 mic preamps on that board has an input gain. then there are stereo inputs, at least from what I remember.

Again, the CS400 and behringer are the same power output, 200 watts @4 ohms. Peavey made a CS400x too I think. The Peavey may sound more composed when pushed to the limit but not substantially louder. ...Unless something is hooked up wrong. I don't buy that the specs are that whacked out. Besides even doubling the power from 50 watts to 100 does not double the sound output.

It would not matter if you used the 1/4" inputs on the CS400 or XLR, especially if the amp is near the mixer. You won't see any volume increase either way.

This is the most basic of sound systems, and although you mention knowing how to run it, these are pretty basic questions and concepts .
Old 4th July 2019
Here for the gear

hi i was looking in to hooking up a powered mixer to a powered PA head can it be done thanks
Old 7th July 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout sniper View Post
hi i was looking in to hooking up a powered mixer to a powered PA head can it be done thanks
Much more information is needed.
The answer will depend entirely on what you mean by 'hooking up, how and what you intend to accomplish, and the specific gear involved.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

The basics are: If your Powered Mixer has LINE OUT and your PA Head has LINE IN, then simply connect them together.

I agree with Wayne in that it depends what you need, and the gear involved. Otherwise you could end up damaging the equipment.
Old 4th November 2020
Here for the gear

I hava fender px2200 powered mixer to replace my sound tech mixer. I hava Rack amplifier peavey cs 400. Whats the best way to connect the px2200 to the peavey cs 400 or can i use both mixers? I actually bought the px2200 to replace my sound tech mixer
Old 4th November 2020
Here for the gear

I bought a px2200 powered mixer to replace my sound tech mixer problem is I hava Rack amplifier peavey cs 400 Whats the best way to connect them .
Old 4th November 2020
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear