The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Allen and Heath QU24 Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th June 2014
|-|
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
I am trying to understand why there is an 18 track limitation on the Qudrive for the QU-24. My dealer did not know, so I wrote to the A&H tech support, and got this answer:
"Hi Lou,

This is due to the restrictions of the system architecture.
with this in mind, future firmware updates will not see a change to this."
I love this board, and want to buy it but I just can't grasp how it's limited at 18 channels. It makes no sense.

My few years old RME UFX can record 30 channels right to a USB drive, without a computer. As long as your drive is fast enough, it has zero errors.

I waited for a QU-24 and we got it! Then I saw the 18 track limitation and realized I'll have to wait for a QU-24 v2 (if there is one).

So frustrating
Old 16th August 2014
Here for the gear

Hi, I have a question for the users of the QU24, so I keep reading the 18 channel limit on it, how is the QU32? same 18? that would be quite misleading IMO

As far as say drums go, it would be possible to group say tom's and have that be as 1 or 2 channels? I ask cause I'm a drummer and hmm 10 setup plus OH and extra ride/hihat etc... lots of channels, sure would not want to hog a mixers channels like that to be limited to 18 from 24 sucks

I do not understand why they only make 4 groups :/ is it because its more of a live thing vs studio?

Also is this usb connection USB 3.0? if not man they are behind in that regard.. USB 3.0 brings lots... I'm reading how USB 3.1 is going to come out soon..
Old 16th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drutort View Post
Hi, I have a question for the users of the QU24, so I keep reading the 18 channel limit on it, how is the QU32? same 18? that would be quite misleading IMO
--- Yes, sadly. Recording to Qu Drive is only 18, but they can be configured with any of the board's inputs.

Quote:
As far as say drums go, it would be possible to group say tom's and have that be as 1 or 2 channels? I ask cause I'm a drummer and hmm 10 setup plus OH and extra ride/hihat etc... lots of channels, sure would not want to hog a mixers channels like that to be limited to 18 from 24 sucks
--- Agreed; hoepefully it can be changed in a firmware upgrade. They do not say if it is a hardware limitation (with their way of doing it) or just a firmware thing. You could route a group or matrix to some of the 18.

Quote:
I do not understand why they only make 4 groups :/ is it because its more of a live thing vs studio?
--- dunno, just glad they have them now, groups weren't there in the first iteration of firmware!

Quote:
Also is this usb connection USB 3.0? if not man they are behind in that regard.. USB 3.0 brings lots... I'm reading how USB 3.1 is going to come out soon..
No big deal. USB 2 is capable of 32 out and 32 in to computer. If you record to computer you can have iot all. For example, I have a new MOTU Thunderbolt 8M interface, and it is BRAND NEW this month and uses USB 2 which has as much audio capability as the Thunderbolt connection. USB 3 is not needed for audio. Yes, it is faster for file transfers and stuff, but not needed for audio as has been said here a few times. And USB3 is more finicky anyway.
Old 16th August 2014
KEL
Lives for gear

Clarification questions:
The Qu24 can send 32 channels over USB, no?
The QuDrive is 18 selectable?
So, you have to use a computer if you want more than 18. I have no issues with that myself. Probably 65% of the shows I'd need to record can easily be done with 18 tracks.

As far as remembering where channels were, can you not save a mixer snapshot with the date , then date your data file too?

I understand the soft patch desire but can someone explain why at a festival in particular it's such a benefit and deal breaker missing feature?
Old 16th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

:
The 18 channel limit is ONLY for the Qu drive. The USB B stream has all the channels. If you're serious about multi-tracking your performance, use a hard-drive and get it all.
Old 16th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
The 18 channel limit is ONLY for the Qu drive. The USB B stream has all the channels. If you're serious about multi-tracking your performance, use a hard-drive and get it all.
Slight correction - use a drive AND a computer for the 32 channel USB B recording...

The Qu drive requires a hard drive too, not a thumb drive.

L
Old 16th August 2014
KEL
Lives for gear

Quote:
Slight correction - use a drive AND a computer for the 32 channel USB B recording...

L
If you use a computer you do not need another external drive. You could record right into the DAW , no?
There are a few AH recommended stick usb thumb drives that work, at least according to their web information.
Old 16th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL View Post
If you use a computer you do not need another external drive. You could record right into the DAW , no?
There are a few AH recommended stick usb thumb drives that work, at least according to their web information.
2 things:
1. Maybe I am old school, but I always always record audio to a separate drive from the OS. In my MBP I have a second drive for audio, but never record to the system drive. YMMV.

2. Refer to the manual, not the web info:
<www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-User-Guide-AP9372_4.pdf>
but even that is hard to interpret. I have six USB hard drives, and only two of them will talk to the Qu. Their list recommends the Seagate 500G USB, but it is no longer available, and the 1TB does nto work. You have to be willing to try them and see what wroks for you!

But I don't record to thumb drives, only hard drives... Maybe stereo will work, maybe not multitrack?
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

L
With v 1.5 you can now record multi-track (18) to a Sandisk Extreme USB stick...according to the manufacturer. I have bought one, but haven't had occasion to try it yet.
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
With v 1.5 you can now record multi-track (18) to a Sandisk Extreme USB stick...according to the manufacturer. I have bought one, but haven't had occasion to try it yet.
Where did you see that, Wyllys? Wasn't there last time I looked at the compatibility.

Try it! Report back! Even if there isn'[t a gig coming up, set it up, format it, and engage record for as long as it will go... Please let us know! How big it is? My two best drives are 60 gigs each... I have 32 gig thumbs (!).

wow, cool:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extrem.../dp/B008AF383S
51 bucks. Hmm, oughta get a couple.

PLEASE let us know how they work and I'll get some for myself.
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Where did you see that, Wyllys? Wasn't there last time I looked at the compatibility.

Try it! Report back! Even if there isn'[t a gig coming up, set it up, format it, and engage record for as long as it will go... Please let us know! How big it is? My two best drives are 60 gigs each... I have 32 gig thumbs (!).

wow, cool:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extrem.../dp/B008AF383S
51 bucks. Hmm, oughta get a couple.

PLEASE let us know how they work and I'll get some for myself.
This is absolutely true. I've been recording with a 64GB Sandisk Extreme and it's been a beautiful thing. It also transfers files to my computer 2X faster than using a hard drive.
Old 18th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
This is absolutely true. I've been recording with a 64GB Sandisk Extreme and it's been a beautiful thing. It also transfers files to my computer 2X faster than using a hard drive.
I'm sold. 'Bout time!
Old 18th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
Same here. The SanDisk Extreme is officially supported:
Qu-Drive. Understanding Qu-Drive and USB - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software
Old 18th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTD View Post
Same here. The SanDisk Extreme is officially supported:
Qu-Drive. Understanding Qu-Drive and USB - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software
Thats great! Only two thumb drives listed... and the Seagate Backup Plus 1TB I got does NOT work. I couldn't find a 500G.

Thanks!

NOW we just need them to make it possible to record at least 26 tracks on QuDrive, It is ridiculous to not be able to record all the tracks.
L
Old 18th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats great! Only two thumb drives listed... and the Seagate Backup Plus 1TB I got does NOT work. I couldn't find a 500G.

Thanks!

NOW we just need them to make it possible to record at least 26 tracks on QuDrive, It is ridiculous to not be able to record all the tracks.
L
Lou...

You need to keep tabs on the Qu info from A&H. As to approved USB drives, they can be ordered on line, but you really need to check the approved list carefully and query the various forums for back-up from actual users as has happened here.

Once you find something that works you should be good with one and a backup of each. If you want to keep projects once recorded, use the WD that you got for just deep file storage. Per the instructions, you should run only one project/session at a time and re-format per project.

BTW, page 57 of the current PDF manual for the Qu series lists 32 tracks for the Qu-24 from the USB-B port.

Tested HDD drives for stereo / multitrack recording and playback:

Intenso model 6002510 USB2.0 320GB
Intenso model 6021560 USB3.0 1TB
Adata Superior SH93 500GB
Samsung M3 Portable 500GB USB3.0
LaCie Rugged Mini 500GB USB3.0
WD My Passport 500GB USB3.0
WD Elements 500GB USB3.0
Seagate Backup Plus 500GB USB3.0
Verbatim Store 'n Go 320GB USB2.0

These are the current approved hard drives.

W
Old 18th August 2014
KEL
Lives for gear

Quote:

L
I don't quite understand your gripes about this functionality. The board outputs 32 channels on USB. So, hook up a computer and track right to a DAW program if you need more than 18. In my opinion the QUdrive is simply an added easy extra way to grab 18 tracks on a gig without computer. In my experiences I could get by with the 18 tracks on the majority of jobs I'd mix with the board.

Sure, it would have been nice to not bring a laptop but you'd be bringing an external HD anyhow. I would guess that most people who record with a digital mixer probably import the tracks to a computer anyhow, no? Perhaps if you simply wanted to use the QU and hard drive only I could see validity in your complaints.
Old 20th August 2014
Lives for gear

I do use computer for paid recording gigs - but it would be supergood to have the QuDrive backup! And it would also be good if the channel label transferred to the qu drive tracks instead of trk01 etc...

By the way, i got a pair of the sandisk extreme 64g thumb drives today and they work great! Transfers fast to comp too. Now no externak drive needed for the qudrive.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search