The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sennheiser wireless transmitter/receiver noise issue. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Sennheiser wireless transmitter/receiver noise issue.

A little help here from the collective experience would be greatly appreciated. Here is the issue.

I run sound for a local church, and we have a Sennheiser wireless transmitter/receiver combo we use with a lavalier mic. Everything is fine when both the receiver and the transmitter are on, but when the transmitter is turned off there is a huge blast of white noise at excessive levels that pegs the meter. It goes away when the transmitter is turned back on again so it's usable, but you really don't want to accidentally unmute the channel when the transmitter is off.

Supposedly this started after the power supply for the receiver was dropped, but the issue persists even after replacing the ps. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Just wondering if there is anything we can do short of buying a new transmitter. Thanks
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

What model is the transmitter & receiver?

Did you try changing the channels?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

This is normal for all Sennheiser I've owned and I've had quite a few. You want to use the mute button on the transmitter instead of powering it off.
L.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

You can raise the squelch as well to get above the noise. First I would do a fresh scan to find a clean channel. Then, with the transmitter off, if you are still getting noise I would raise the squelch. If still having problems call the main office at 860-434-9190 ask for tech support. Mc
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

Sounds like maybe the squelch level on the receiver got changed? Consult/look up the manual for your receiver to learn how to change it, each one is different.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks guys.

Old 10th March 2014
S21
Lives for gear

More recent mics send a pilot tone that is required to open the receiver squelch. This feature can be turned off, but unless you are working with mismatched vintages of tx/rx I would leave this feature on.
Old 11th March 2014
What model (ew series?) and variant (g1, g2, g3?) are you using.

The white noise you are hearing is probably originating from a dvb-t transmitter running at the same frequency. Easy solution is: find a new free frequency.

As has already been mentioned, also check your squelch level (if necessary raise squelch level) and if your system is fitted with a pilot tone functionality (ew g2 and g3 series only), make sure that it's on.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut
As Lenzo stated, this is normal for Sennheiser wireless mics.
If you don't want the noise either turn off the receiver before turning off the transmitter -or- mute the transmitter, turn off or mute the receiver, then turn off the transmitter.
Old 11th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
This is normal for all Sennheiser I've owned and I've had quite a few. You want to use the mute button on the transmitter instead of powering it off.
L.
Yep. Even with the Pilot on, when the transmitter is off, Sennheiser does not mute their outputs. If you want to use a unit that does not do this, buy a Shure, MiPro, etc Most of these will not pass interference when the transmitter is off.
Old 11th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugovanmeijeren View Post
What model (ew series?) and variant (g1, g2, g3?) are you using.

The white noise you are hearing is probably originating from a dvb-t transmitter running at the same frequency. Easy solution is: find a new free frequency.

As has already been mentioned, also check your squelch level (if necessary raise squelch level) and if your system is fitted with a pilot tone functionality (ew g2 and g3 series only), make sure that it's on.
Nope. It doesn't matter. Pilot tone or not, it still happens. Squelch is for use when the transmitter is on. Turning up the squelch narrows reception.
Old 11th March 2014
S21
Lives for gear

I've recently got ew100-935 g3 vocal sets. This doesn't happen for me. I have never heard static out of the unit.
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by S21 View Post
I've recently got ew100-935 g3 vocal sets. This doesn't happen for me. I have never heard static out of the unit.
This only happens in extremely congested areas.
Old 15th March 2014
My Senny receivers make white noise too - some people may not notice it, but compared with digital stuff it's very obviously analog white noise like 1960's transistor radios or cassette tape players.

I've come to the conclusion it does not matter, and is actually a safety device. If your reciever was ultra quiet, you may accidentally crank the volume to dangerous levels, and then when the feed comes through you could blow your ears out. At least with this quiet hiss in the background you know that it's turned on, and you have some idea of the level you have set before the signal arrives.

I admit it was a surprise they were so noisy consider the price of these things ...
Old 15th March 2014
BTW - in a noisy live environment people may not notice it. I notice it in my ultra silent studio. I'm always suspicious of any audio engineer who says any audio device does NOT makes noise. Everything makes noise, it's just a question of how much ...
Old 15th March 2014
S21
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
My Senny receivers make white noise too - some people may not notice it, but compared with digital stuff it's very obviously analog white noise like 1960's transistor radios or cassette tape players.

I've come to the conclusion it does not matter, and is actually a safety device. If your reciever was ultra quiet, you may accidentally crank the volume to dangerous levels, and then when the feed comes through you could blow your ears out. At least with this quiet hiss in the background you know that it's turned on, and you have some idea of the level you have set before the signal arrives.

I admit it was a surprise they were so noisy consider the price of these things ...
But that's not the full scale noise reported by the OP...
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCMe View Post
Yep. Even with the Pilot on, when the transmitter is off, Sennheiser does not mute their outputs. If you want to use a unit that does not do this, buy a Shure, MiPro, etc Most of these will not pass interference when the transmitter is off.
If the unit is set up correctly you should not get interference. Below is from working with ew PDF.

Why does my PA system or camera emit a horrible loud static noise when I power off my transmitter?
This simply means you are on a frequency which is already in use, most likely by a television station. When the transmitter is on, everything is working just fine because of the close proximity of the trans- mitter and receiver. When the transmitter is powered off, the receiver no longer hears the transmitter and tries to latch onto any signal it can find on that same frequency.
If you see RF activity on the display meter with the transmitter powered off, it means that there is another signal on the same frequency interfering with your system (most likely from a TV station). You can use the “Easy Setup” to “Scan New List” and find a new free frequency. Once you select a free frequency, this loud static noise will no longer come through your system when the transmitter
is powered off. If you use your system in various locations, it is always a good idea to redo the “Easy Setup” to find a free frequency as the RF environment will change depending on geographical location. Another temporary solution which works sometimes would be to raise the “Squelch” setting from the default “Low” setting to either “Med” or “High.” Raising the Squelch level means that the receiver will expect more RF signal before it unmutes. This is a temporary solution, and should only be used as a last resort as raising the squelch also reduces your operating range. It is always better to find a free frequency instead.
Old 16th March 2014
S21
Lives for gear

If low level noise is the problem, put the mic through a gate.
Old 16th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by S21 View Post
If low level noise is the problem, put the mic through a gate.
No, we are talking about RF noise, not ambient noise, or noise floor while in operation.

While that PDF is good information and recommended, it is not enough to scan with the built in scan function. The scan function is not resolute enough anyway. Using the on-board scan functions does tell the whole story. This is why so many people use the scan function, store on of the suggested channels and still have problems.

I can put a Shure or MiPro ACT7 system in the same room as a comparable Sennheiser and the Sennheiser will be the only one sending a blast of tone through the pay when the transmitter has been turned off.

The problem with this older technology is that we are in an age where analog systems are just bandwidth hogs. We have 40% less air space to use. We need to take up less space and cram more units into less space, in the 3MHz above or below TV stations, etc.

Most of the wireless companies are not doing anything to educate the people about the pending cluster screw in the USA. It is just as it was before the big boot out of the 700MHz band. They are selling units. It's business as usual. Meanwhile, some companies are developing new products that will put the nails in the coffins of some large companies, if the large companies don't get with it. They will be another three years behind, with their copycat products.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Murdock View Post
Thanks guys.

Let us know how you made out.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm out of town for a couple of weeks, but will let you know when I get a chance to fool with it. From what is posted above it seems the unit is transmitting on an already occupied frequency. What is odd is that the system was fine, and the problem simply showed up one day. I suppose it's possible that someone switched the channel but it's unlikely.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Murdock View Post
I'm out of town for a couple of weeks, but will let you know when I get a chance to fool with it. From what is posted above it seems the unit is transmitting on an already occupied frequency. What is odd is that the system was fine, and the problem simply showed up one day. I suppose it's possible that someone switched the channel but it's unlikely.
If no one changed the channel something new could have started interfering in that area.
Old 23rd April 2014
Here for the gear

You mentioned that the power supply might have been dropped. Does that mean you move the receiver around? Assuming you don't have an ASA1 distributor, make sure that the power supply cable doesn't run near the antennas. I.e. that it goes away from them rather than towards them.
Old 9th October 2016
Here for the gear

I had this same issue and was worried it was not user error, when in fact it was. I was using the scan feature, but setting up the different mics on different banks. That's a no-no. See this article for a detailed explanation on setting up the G3 system. After I followed those instructions, I no longer have static interference or the static when the transmitter is turned off.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search