The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A 10k PA what would you buy? Modular Synthesizers
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

A 10k PA what would you buy?

Venue size is about 250. what would you buy with that budget?

Thanks
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Addict

Hire a contractor...
Old 26th February 2014
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Not again...

Basically what monocluster said.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Ok never mind sorry for asking...
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

The premise of your question is a little tough to answer as you didn't mention genre which is a huge factor. regardless I try to steer small budget needs towards used gear. You could easily wind up with $25,000 worth of used gear for $10,000 with VERY careful and intelligent spending.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

We are not trying to be rude to you... just trying to state how over-generalized your question is. No acoustician or system tech worth his salt would offer you advice on a system spec for free over a forum post. Too many variables. Read over the post I linked; it has some information for you.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

Qsc kw181 subs (4) and kw153 tops (2)
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Hey guys no worries, I realize its a tough question to answer. I'm definitely not a system tech or acoustician. I know the best sounding system I've ever mixed on was a Midas H3000 with d&b c7/c4 installed. I know I've heard great rooms with EV QRX112s also out of the budget. Thats about the extent of my knowledge as a system tech I ask when I encounter a great system. Its actually not even my own question trying to help a friend figure out a system. My friend is a great mixer who has set up and run amazing studios. @monocluster I get it!!! and didn't think you were being rude. I realize how over-generalized this question is and how a lot of people and maybe yourself make their (your) living answering it. Certainly not trying to take that away.

btw its not genre specific and used is certainly an option.

PS. Don't visit the live forum much, tried to search, didn't realize I posted a common/ uninformed question
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar dave View Post
Qsc kw181 subs (4) and kw153 tops (2)
Absolutely! Unfortunately, I think this will put the OP over budget. If you lower you sub count to two, you are pretty close.
  1. QSC KW181 ($1400.00 x2 = $2800.00)
  2. QSC KW153 ($1300.00 x2 = $2600.00)
  3. X32 mixer ($2500.00) or alternately a Soundcraft Expression Si
  4. Alto TS112a ($250.00 x4 = $1000.00) monitors

This puts you up at $8900.00. You will also need microphones, cables, stands, etc which will eat up the rest, but you will have a very nice system that is pretty easy to get sounding good.

I would agree that 4 KW181's would be better; however, I have a neighbor a few houses down from me in my sub that has only 2 with the KW153's. This rig can easily handle a 300 person club and thump it pretty good.

I am not sure why there is so much negative feedback on this request. 10K can absolutely get you a great club PA that can setup and make sound fantastic without a deep knowledge of pro sound. This is the wonder of powered speakers with internal processing.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanlon View Post
btw its not genre specific and used is certainly an option.
Genre can certainly be a factor but so can the size and type of potential venue and audience. Then there is whether there are any goals or constraints on size, weight, rider acceptance, cross rental capability and so forth. For example, if everything has to fit in a small car or if you need to meet certain level riders then those factors could affect the recommendations. You might also want to consider what has to be included in the budget, is it everything from scratch or might some equipment be existing? With a 10k budget any existing mics, mic stands, DI boxes, cables, etc. that could be used can make a significant difference. And does the budget need to cover cases, power distro, speaker covers and all the little ancillary items or just the primary gear? The reality is that there are many factors that could potentially be relevant to any recommendations or decisions.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

are we buying mics,cables,stands,mixer,snake,racks AND stacks?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear
PA only? I would maybe consider maybe VRX depending on the layout of the room
Old 27th February 2014
KEL
Lives for gear

If it was my money, I'd shop used and also still consider good passive cabs. Lots of good used deals. Along the lines of what was mentioned above, a used Qsc HPR 153 over 181 rig is still a nice sounding setup. JBL SRx is common. Clean QRx cabs are out there. Qsc Rmx amps. AH gl2400 mixers. Rack stuff
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

For those listing out cabs, how are your choices valid when we don't even know the acoustics of the room?
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndnbdub View Post
For those listing out cabs, how are your choices valid when we don't even know the acoustics of the room?
This. The "negativity" isn't a lack of willingness to comment on the quality of certain products. It's the lack of willingness to recommend a product for an unknown venue with unknown acoustic properties.

If the question is "Hey I'm thinking of buying this speaker, is it good?" we can answer that. "Is this a good choice for this room?" is not a question that can / should be answered without a professional having checked out the space
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks
If you're talking about buying absolutely everything from the mics all the way through to the mains and monitors (cabling, stands, mixer, processing, etc), I'd buy lottery tickets and hope to triple or quadruple my money and get everything set up properly.

Not trying to be smart, just citing the reality of system pricing. Of course, you didn't say if you already had a bunch of stuff that could be deducted from the average total.

Have fun.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear
Be a good friend and tell your friend to hire a contractor. So many factors go into installation that picking the products is the last thing on the list.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was wondering this very thing myself…the voodoo responses never fail to amaze me.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks
is it a live music place with bands, or a club with djs?
Old 28th February 2014
is that $10k or 10kw?
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I was wondering this very thing myself…the voodoo responses never fail to amaze me.
I don't think they're vodoo responses, I do think that absent any information to the contrary many people seem to assume that everyone else shares their situation and applications. What many seem to neglect to consider is that something as simple as someone having to transport the entire system in a small car rather than a van or truck may make a significant difference in what is practical and should be recommended.

In this case I'm not even clear if the system is for a venue, for a band, for rental or what, which could by itself make a difference (install/flyable versus portable, whether rider compliance is a concern, potential cross rental, etc.) in what might be recommended.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by museAV View Post
I don't think they're vodoo responses, I do think that absent any information to the contrary many people seem to assume that everyone else shares their situation and applications. What many seem to neglect to consider is that something as simple as someone having to transport the entire system in a small car rather than a van or truck may make a significant difference in what is practical and should be recommended.

In this case I'm not even clear if the system is for a venue, for a band, for rental or what, which could by itself make a difference (install/flyable versus portable, whether rider compliance is a concern, potential cross rental, etc.) in what might be recommended.
Neither is it clear what gear the budget is supposed to cover. All? Part? what.......??
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by museAV View Post
Hence you'd need to have voodoo (or magical) powers to make specific recommendations....or maybe they don't know that they don't know enough to be doling out answers in the first place?
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Has no one here ever toured with production? I've taken the same gear into a wide varieties of rooms without ever having to bust out a calculator... I don't recall ever having to consult with an acoustic engineer - ever.
Find out who the local FOH guys in your area that have likely played the room in question and ask them. I'd take their opinion over someone that walks in with a laptop, a measurement mic and a head full of ideals.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

I never walk into a venue blind...and I never choose the PA blindly. The PA is selected based on the venues I'm going to be working in...it has to be appropriate.

There is always somebody who knows what has worked before...so while I never need a slide rule and calculator I do not show up without a clue.
Old 1st March 2014
Quote:

Thanks
Nothing. That is not enough money for a PA.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Because it's only $10k budget and there's only a few ways to do that.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar dave View Post
Because it's only $10k budget and there's only a few ways to do that.
How do you know that your 75 degree conical coverage on the KW153 will be sufficient? Have you been to said venue?
Old 1st March 2014
KEL
Lives for gear

In this case the "acoustics of the room" isn't the one bit of knowledge keeping me from suggesting the best solution. Besides does one pick different cabs based on acoustics? I would think, dimensions, where the audience is, what kind of acts, whether it stays up or mounts or each show, flown or ground stacked, who's running it, what resources are already there/owned, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search