The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best active speakers for mobile DJ work
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Best active speakers for mobile DJ work

I have been DJing weddings pretty much every weekend for 8 or 9 years. For the reception I have been using Mackie SRM450's and and 2 SWA1-801 subs. Then I stripped down to 1 sub, and for the last year, pretty much doing 2 SRM450's only. I have a pair of the newer ones and a pair of older ones. I setup and break down by myself, so I'm trying to make my job easier. When you're not A/Bing them, the 450's sound good and have been solid for me. If you were only going to be running one pait of speakers, like I am, what would you choose? I want to buy one really good pair and use the 450's for ceremony, dinner, backup , etc. I have considered the new Mackie srm650 (15"), the QSC, RCJ, JBL, etc.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

If budget allows, Yamaha DSR or lower DXR. Of course for DJ's you'll want the subs.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndnbdub View Post
If budget allows, Yamaha DSR or lower DXR. Of course for DJ's you'll want the subs.
RCF ART422As. You can have my ART322As (previous model) when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers. Unbelievably hifi for 50 lb plastic boxes, and the 2" horn will throw for days... decently full bass (though not SW1801 thumping... physics is, after all, a set of laws... not suggestions).

HB
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Any of the qsc boxes. No question
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I put a KV2 ES system in use 9 years ago and upgraded the delay lines in the power modules two years ago. this system is in the Meyer price range ($30,000. +) and after listening to the new PreSonus AI speaker line priced at 10% of mine I would buy the AI speakers. I am not saying they are better than my system but for smaller venues they are way ahead of anything I have heard any where close to this price range. I do not believe they are shipping yet and I also have no idea the nature of the delay problems: however if you can be patient and wait till they are available I think the advanced technology will deliver exactly what you are looking for at a very attractive price. Wait and try them out and decide for yourself.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

+1 for QSC. Crystal clear highs and decent reach on the low end for only being 12 inches and smaller and all under 50 pounds. If you want thump though subs are a requirement.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
If you're happy with the 450s, I would look into a pair of subs, even the mackie 15s which should be easy enough to handle on your own. Otherwise I would upgrade to 15" speakers if you're not looking to add subs, otherwise you're not going to see a big upgrade going to another pair of 12" speakers unless you drop a LOT of money.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I would recommend the Yamaha DXR15's or Turbosound MI5's.

I was in a similar position around a year ago and wanted a speaker that could produce the most full range sound for around £1400. I tried the JBL EON 515XT, Mackie SRM450, Turbosound MI5's and Yamaha DXR15's. Both the DXR15's and MI5's are a big step up from the JBL's and Mackies. The Mackies and JBL's sounded small and boxy compared whilst the Yamaha's and Turbosounds sounded both deeper and more open.
The Yamaha's sounded deep, punchy with excellent clarity. The Turbosounds maybe sounded a fraction deeper and not quite as bright.

I ended up going for the Yamaha's because I found the Turbosounds sound started to break up a little at higher spls and the limiter would kick in fairly early with deep bass. The Yamaha's were amazing in this department. I've not had the limiter even flicker yet after over a years gigging and the sound stays much more coherent at high spls compared to anything else I've tried! Not only that, the Yamaha's have a 7 year warranty!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search