The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Delay dual mic'd instruments? hardware...
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

It must be really cold up north…either that or you're just plain…nah…it's gotta be the temperature.
Old 28th November 2013
Gear Addict

Jarnes, the simple answer to your question is this: yes there are analog processors that are made to do exactly what you wish.

Little Labs IPB (mapp $575)
Little Labs IBP - Vintage King Audio

Radial Phazer ($320)
Radial Phazer | Sweetwater.com

Radial Phazerbank ($900)
Radial Engineering PHAZERBANK 4-Channel Rackmountable Phase Adjuster | Full Compass

The Phazerbank gives you 4 channels that you can adjust your phase with. With that you could phase align a double mic'd kick, snare, bass (DI & mic), and still have another channel left over with.

And don't let people tell you that it's "not worth the time". If you're using analog consoles consistently with bands that you consistently have 2 or more separate signals feeding your console you WILL have time/phase issues. I'm certainly not going to sit here and argue on the validity of whether you SHOULD have multiple channels of the same signal going into your mix at all; this is clearly a matter of style/choice that you're supposed to be imparting IMO as a FOH engineer.

Many of the "rider friendly" digital consoles in the pro market have digital delay available to every single channel for precisely this reason, because phase shift DOES MATTER, in a very drastic way. I certainly use it as well every time I have multiple mics of the same source coming into my console, and without question you can hear the phase change as you adjust. The sound that you ultimately decide upon as to your liking might and could very well be "out of phase" to someone else. The reason being because when multiple frequencies combine in time phase/time does NOT stay the same for all frequencies as they travel through the air.. it actually acts as a "wheel" that is in constant rotation as it travels through air/space/time.

Phase is probably the MOST important factor that you deal with in sound reproduction on a daily basis, and delay is the most important tool you have (besides placement of drivers & mics, whom both are performing the same exact duty in opposite) in order to correct/change any issues with phasing that you might have.

Only a fool would give you the "answer" (if you could call it that) that it's a "waste of time" or attempt weak mockery of the types of music you work with. In fact the fool who mentioned these comments is so lazy at his craft, that in his own words it "never got past the test stage with me". The ONLY reason it never got past the "test stage" is you never tried to adjust the phase/time of the signals, else you might've found MANY differing sounds that work for MANY different applications…. unless of course you're only using 1 mic on every single drum kick because, how did you put it? "If that's the case I take it then that all the drummers play the same and all the bands sound exactly the same?"

Your own words put back into context of how you describe going about your work makes you look like an .
Old 28th November 2013
Lives for gear

You must feel better now after all that school-girl type name calling...
Old 28th November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
You must feel better now after all that school-girl type name calling...
Oh please Samc, I've read quite a few of your childish responses and incessant whining towards nearly every other person who tries to have a conversation with you on any given subject.

You can't even answer simple questions posed to you by others; instead lashing out about how they "don't understand the post" because you didn't like their answers.

Tell us more about how no other mixing engineer can "get the sound of the music genre" sans you in a post…everyone LOVES to hear about the big headed asshat who can't listen to others. Trust me, they LOVE working with you even more.

I think you'll find most people will fall very short of feeling sorry for you when you're called out by someone far wittier.
Old 10th December 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_ending View Post
Jarnes, the simple answer to your question is this: yes there are analog processors that are made to do exactly what you wish.

Little Labs IPB (mapp $575)
Little Labs IBP - Vintage King Audio

Radial Phazer ($320)
Radial Phazer | Sweetwater.com

Radial Phazerbank ($900)
Radial Engineering PHAZERBANK 4-Channel Rackmountable Phase Adjuster | Full Compass
Thanks... that helps!

Tried this the last tow concerts i mixed... (the m7cl method - send to omni, dly omni, patch to ch.) worked great
Old 10th December 2013
Here for the gear

Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Radial Phazer acquired, looking forward to first play

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search