The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
gap capitor smoked at live show..audince thought it was a smoke machine
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Nut

gap capitor smoked at live show..audince thought it was a smoke machine

Been..searching this for any similar problem since sunday..I played a show in chi at a **** venue..and brought the golden age pre73.and well..there were prolly some power spikes. Smoke started to billow out..turned it off and people thought it was a smoke machine going off !! Anyways.. so get home open this puppy up and the main capacitor. Well the biggest one right next to the 24 v resistor exploded.. so I replaced it. It turns on everything is good.....but a low constant hum..I usually run to a distressor so I use the xlr output.but it makes the hum more noticable..so I said hey for the first time im gonna try the trs output straight to the board..viola no hum perfect like she has always sat..but ****..I also love running thru the pbc 6a which only takes xlr in...so can anyone magically explain..maybe somehow the xlr output jack went bad? If so any recomendations on replacements..and also side note. Mr fantastic soundman ran wet vocal from the xlr output and dry from the trs..so they were both plugged in when the spinal tap smoke machine went off.

Heres were it gets weirder!!! So I plug trs out to trs into the board as said before..quite as a mouse.. but when I use a trs out cable with an xlr on the other end into the board the hummin is back again..even though im still using trs out????????? Ive tested all cables and used another preamp in to make sure my board wasnt the isuue. But everyrhing is quite as a mouse..can someone explain if the trs out and xlr share the same runs? They prolly just split at the jumper? But still when I go trs out but with an xlr on the other end it hums again..this is bizzaro..plus when I flip the phase switch it makes the hum a bit louder????? Cheers!
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

If something hasn't changed with the grounding (plugged into different outlets), you may have another component or board connection damaged.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Nut

Thanks sharkboy! I was guessing id have to spend hours going thru components...the 24 v resistor at the middle back of the main board looks like the film is discolored..but I tested that and it was fine.. but when me and the mates opened it up that was the first thing everyone said. .its gotta be that 24v resistor right next to the cap that blew...I found this etching pen to repair traces do you think that will work if I find a burned trace? Also the eq73 the kid had sold me..I decided to open that up as well...and the fuse had been out since the day he sold it to me.. how is it possible for the eq73 to turn on without the fuse being in place.i recorded a whole album with the fuse out of the eq73 and it sounded fantastic..I recently aquired henry risners from cbs studios main neve 51 series..I got a pair of strips..maybe its time to start wiring those puppies of for single use .but i doubt even the 51 series will sound better than my gap...sad sad day...cheers!
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Sorry about the long wait on reply. First, I would be wary of using a pen for the job of a wire. Second, you may be able to test the resistance of the suspect resistor without removing it from the board. I'm guessing that the fuse was bypassed.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear
I would buy a Furman AR1215 Voltage Regulator before you buy any more gear or take gear out to places to questionable power again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search