The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hanging monitors above stage, meh?
Old 19th October 2013
Hanging monitors above stage, meh?

Owner of the venue I work for wants to hang our stage monitors above the stage rather than having them on the stage, because we've had too many get messed up from drinks spilled, people stepping on the input messing it up, artists moving monitors around without asking, etc.

Haven't seen that kind of setup before, I'm worried about feedback. What do you guys think anyone try it before?
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Are your monitors designed/rated to be flown? If not, the whole point is moot.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

May be irrelevant, but what about sidefills? Tried that yet?
Old 19th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Are your monitors designed/rated to be flown? If not, the whole point is moot.
Nope, just some ordinary monitors. Any certain models out there designed for such a task?
Old 19th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndnbdub View Post
May be irrelevant, but what about sidefills? Tried that yet?
That may just be the solution either that or permanently installing the monitors into the stage so you cant move them or step on the input cables.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hanging them will take them put of the null behind carioid mics, and make feedback more likely! The owner is putting his priorities in the wromg place. Hire sober musicians (joke).

Imagine a car maker moving the mirrors to the rear of the car instead of the sides, so they don't get broken off. They will no longer serve their purpose, but hey, they won't get broken in the parking lot!

Really stupid idea. Would he put the FoH mixer in the basement so you wopn't get distracted by the crowd or the band, or get beer spilled on it??
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Safety may be an issue, and feedback may be an issue, but, in a club scenario, if those two issues can be surmounted, of course this can work, it's been done many times.
Not as "standard" as floor wedges, with good reason. But, sometimes it can work fine. Totally depends on the specific situation.
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Hanging them will take them put of the null behind carioid mics, and make feedback more likely! The owner is putting his priorities in the wromg place. Hire sober musicians (joke).

Imagine a car maker moving the mirrors to the rear of the car instead of the sides, so they don't get broken off. They will no longer serve their purpose, but hey, they won't get broken in the parking lot!

Really stupid idea. Would he put the FoH mixer in the basement so you wopn't get distracted by the crowd or the band, or get beer spilled on it??
Any suggestions? Also have you guys had any experience with Seismic Audio gear? I've got about a 1k budget for this month for a few upgrades and monitors and a new power amp are priority.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Seismic Audio is the equivalent of PYLE, low quality chinese boxes priced really low on ebay.

You could get a pair of EV ZLX-12p for $800 USD or pair of Alto TS112A for $600 USD, should be more than enough for small club monitors and they're powered for convenience.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Hang some up and see what happens.
For a grand you could probably buy some protection for floor mounted foldbacks
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've used monitors on tripod stands with no problems. Use a 31 band EQ if you have feedback issues.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

It will work for sure. The only real downside is, that the position of the musicans will be determind by the monitors. Normally you put the wedges, where the musician want them. If you take care of the HF beam, you will get thme as loud as normal floor wedges. Done that serval times for Hardcore shows, where you don't want the mob to run over your wedges.
But please use only wedges that comes with proper flying system like a flybar or so!
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

I think it's a very bad Idea...the safety issue can't be overstated, if a monitor falls on someone it could kill them.

By placing the monitors in ceiling you will be restricting both the placement and movement of the musicians. I'm banking on the fact that a serious band or artist would not overlook these two important issues and work at this venue.

I dislike musicians who destroy other people's property, but venues and PA companies who put more into protecting their gear than they do helping the band do their best should probably find another line of work...
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
Owner of the venue I work for wants to hang our stage monitors above the stage rather than having them on the stage, because we've had too many get messed up from drinks spilled, people stepping on the input messing it up, artists moving monitors around without asking, etc.

Haven't seen that kind of setup before, I'm worried about feedback. What do you guys think anyone try it before?
1. You spill a drink in the monitor, you pay for it (the repair, not the drink). Take it out of their check. That said, there are "outdoor" weather-proof grills that can be installed to keep the liquids off the cones.

2. Use right angle connectors.

3. If them moving the monitors bothers you, make it clear up front that only house personnel moves house equipment.

Take charge of the situation and stop trying to "idiot proof" your stage. It can't be done and bands that trash your stuff are idiots.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
1. You spill a drink in the monitor, you pay for it (the repair, not the drink). Take it out of their check. That said, there are "outdoor" weather-proof grills that can be installed to keep the liquids off the cones.

3. If them moving the monitors bothers you, make it clear up front that only house personnel moves house equipment.

Take charge of the situation and stop trying to "idiot proof" your stage. It can't be done and bands that trash your stuff are idiots.
This!
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

just modify the box so the connectors are move to a protected side / incase them in a sturdy case.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:

Yep. Other than this, I would try side fills but doubt it would satisfy your needs.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I've been really happy with the four Peavey (!) QWMR 15"/2" wedges I found used about six years ago (for $400 each). My experience is that they are nearly impossible to blow up (no metal shows, though), sound pretty dang good right away, take corrective EQ well (I normally tune them on a 4-channel parametric) and have been impervious to whatever has befallen them. With the logos covered, folks always ask if they're older (they are battle-scarred) EAW or Meyer cabs. Hard finish (no black carpet). Their max SPL of 133dB @1600wrms means they DO actually go to "eleven". This is NOT your MI-channel Peavey. Bi-ampable, but with a decent internal crossover choice. Connectors are NL4 and are not easily trampled upon. They do, however, weigh 85 lbs apiece.

Some of my friends swear by the QW-218 subs as real sleepers. Again, as actual 135+dB boxes... not MI-channel. Serious, for less than half the price of Meyer or d+b... which they aren't. But, they're close. Both of these punch well above their weight.

On the other note, flying wedges is, for anything but low-impact foldback, as has been mentioned, a really, really bad idea. Bite the bullet, buy some great wedges, and stop worrying.

One old guy's opinion.

HB

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search