The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Set up good sound for indoor sports venue
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Set up good sound for indoor sports venue

Hi,

I'm in the planning stages of setting up an indoor sports venue (trampolining, in the main) for a 1500 square metre venue. It should be music that stimulates young kids ... ideally quality lossless sound from a good system ...

The only thing I know is that I will need multiple speakers and some powerful amps and pre-amps ... but what else?

My budget is rather limited, but what can I do effectively, so that clear, undistorted sound is produced -- what kind of setup, equipment, etc. might be required?

Thanks for any tips! :-)

Cheers, Walter
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hmm... limited budget but lossless sound... that doesn't go well together.

Sounds like a permanent installation, you want to call in a local sound contractor to design a system for you because this involves hanging speakers on walls/ceilings.

An install is pretty basic:
-a rackmount mixer such as Atlas or TOA
-one wireless mic.
-a rackmount CD/TAPE player
-amps such as QSC CX
-hanging speakers
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

thank you very much for that, Tom!

I guess lossless is an overstretch ... as long as the sound is tolerably good!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

A permanent install can involve building code issues such as the type of speaker cable used and how it is installed as well as liability issues such as liability for any flown or overhead mounted speakers.

You might also want to start thinking about your music source(s) as if the venue is open to the public then any playback is a public performance and you need to address the related copyrights for any music used. That may mean looking at a music service that handles the rights for you or obtaining appropriate licensing from the related rights agencies (such as ASCAP, BMI and SESAC).
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
If this is indeed for a permanent installation, it's a TOTALLY different market than "live sound" and you NEED to hire a professional. This is not something you can do correctly (read: legally, within-code) on little budget with no experience.
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear

thank you very much for all the useful tips, guys!!! Very much appreciated!

(I like the moniker jhana ... I use 'arupajhana' myself elsewhere ...)
Old 19th October 2013
S21
Lives for gear

Most of your problems will be with the accoustics of a large boxy space. No point spending a lot on speakers until you have an answer to the accoustics.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search