The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need PA advice for medium office space parties
Old 18th October 2013
Need PA advice for medium office space parties

I have 1000$ to spend on a PA system for our office (which is a fairly large loft space). We need some kind of sound system to play music at happy hour parties or in general for speakers or movie nights.

I'm not too familiar with PA gear. Is there anything you'd recommend?

Would it be better to just buy one really good speaker (like QSC K12) or a pair of less expensive speakers (like JBLs or Mackies)?

Any brands to avoid? Any brands I should look at?

Also how many watts should I be looking at to fill a fairly large loft space? (I don't have the dimensions unfortunately).

Thanks!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

$1000 USD? A pair of EV ZLX15-p would do the job nicely.

Watts don't determine loudness, max SPL does.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Another option would be a pair of the Alto TS112a's and a Alto TS Sub 15.
If you don't want the sub then either the Alto TS115a's or EV ZLX15p's!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

So far all I know is you have $1000 (US) to spend on a system. Can you post some good pictures and a floor-plan of the space? Do you need everything for these events? Projector for movie-nights and all? Is it a permanent instal with wire's and AC power routed behind walls and such?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

No need to overthink this.

A pair of EV ZLX12a speakers,
A pair of stands,
An iPod cable,

Less than $1000, including tax.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

The EV or Yamaha's are my first pick at that price point.
Powered speakers make life easy. Just look for connectivity you need on the back, The Yamaha's have stereo RCA, !/4" and XLR so like having a little mixer. The stage pass system is also OK amazing sound for the price, but the speakers are not that heavy duty as in not good for Club style DJ levels. But good for background music and movies and it all folds into a neat tidy package to store under a desk. If you want to dance just add a sub to any system and go at it. I go with powerful 8" or 10" speakers and add a sub. 15" cabinets are too clunky and you still need a sub for good bass.

I can't think that any small PA would not work in say a 2000 sq foot open space, as far as party music etc goes. A heavy Rock band is a different kettle of fish.
Old 19th October 2013
Thanks for your recommendations.

Based on the responses here we've ordered an EV ZLX-12P speaker.

I'm not sure whether we really need 2 for our needs so we went with one for now (+ a stand). If we realize it's not enough for our space we could always get another and daisy chain it.

I like that it has an aux 1/8" input (since we normally use iphone/laptops). That saves us having to get a mixer and more cables.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post
I like that it has an aux 1/8" input (since we normally use iphone/laptops). That saves us having to get a mixer and more cables.
Not to be a wet blanket but since this is apparently a business rather than private/personal use, you have obtained any required rights to play that music and display those movies, haven't you?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search