The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
a line mixer for live shows, help :)
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
a line mixer for live shows, help :)

Hi guy, could really use some help here. im going to be doing some live shows shortly and could use some suggestions on a liner mixer.

Basically my set up will be 3 hardware synths plus an ipod playing backing tracks going into a line mixer which will then feed the foh.

im leaning towards the samson sm10 as it also had balanced main outputs which i could then feed into the snake without having to use a DI.
It also has independent level control for monitoring through headphones which my synth player will probably want.

is there any other options for an affordable line mixer that you guys could recommend? thanks
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
or how about a kawai mx-8br. this thing looks pretty good too. plus i would get n fx send return. hmmmmm
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Other options include things like the Alesis Multi-Mix 8 Line, Behringer RX1602 (if you're not allergic to the "B-word"), the Tascam LM8-ST, Ashly LX308B or Rane SM82. I can't remember off-hand which specific features each unit has, but they're all the same general type of thing, just with slight differences in their particular bells and whistles. Of course there are price differences too, from the cheap as chips Behringer end of the market, through the middle ground of the Alesis and Tascam units, to the more expensive Ashly and Rane gear. I think they're all still current products too, although I couldn't swear to that.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
thanks for the response. have you had any experience with the kawai mixer i mentioned? its hard to find much info on this. Also, am i correct in that i won't need to use DI's if im just taking the master outs on the mixer to the FOH if it uses balanced outs?

thanks again
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Of all those, the only two I have direct experience of are the Alesis and the Behringer. I have one of each in my rack in my music room at home. The Behri has +4/-10 switching on each input and a headphone output, while the Alesis does not. The Alesis does, however, have an XLR mic input as an option on one of the channels, the option to chain two units together and an FX loop (if I remember rightly). Both offer balanced, line-level outputs, so shouldn't need any mucking about with DI boxes in order to patch them into a FOH desk - the most you would need is a pair of standard balanced cables (1/4" TRS-TRS or 1/4" TRS-XLR if the FOH only has XLR line inputs).

In terms of sound, they're not perfectly clean, but they're more than clean enough for most practical purposes - any noise that they might introduce into the signal chain certainly isn't excessive. The Ashly and Rane may well perform better on that front, but you get what you pay for (as with most things in life). I'd expect the Tascam to be about the same as the Alesis/Behri if I had to take a guess at it.

Sadly, I'm not familiar at all with the Kawai - didn't even know it existed. Although, looking at a picture on the web, it does remind me of yet another option - the Alesis MultiMix 12R - although, again, I don't have any direct personal experience with that unit either.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
thanks for that

and i didnt know the kawai existed either, just stumbled upon it today. i could get one new for about 150$. it also has send/returns, 2 of them actually which i dont think the other mixers offer. have to do a little more research before making a final decision
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
im really thinking the samson sm10, but still open to other suggetions if anyone else wants to chime in .. and again this would be for 3 synths and i ipod playing backing tracks fed into the foh

thanks
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Don't spend your money twice, get the Tascam LM-8ST and be done with it. Alesis would be my 2nd pick, my Alesis Studio 12 is still rocking the rack.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
Rane has several 1RU mixers that can do either 6:2 or 8:2. Built solidly and can find them used. Worth looking into.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

The Tascam unit has more connectivity than any of the others listed and will be a better all-around devise. For 1 unit rack space the Tascam is the best pick, the others are ether extra rack spaces or lack connectivity.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

When you have trouble finding any info about a piece of gear,,, you have trouble!
There are reasons why people stick with "known" gear. Price and features is a small part of what you need,,,, reliability is way more important. So I go with the Tascam, All my Tascam gear still (kinda) works. Some is from the 70's.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
While the Tascam may have more connectivity, if all the OP needs is 4 stereo ins, the Rane will work great. The Rane is also built far better than the Tascam, Samson or Alesis pieces.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I did find a better unit by Rane with more connectivity called the Rane MLM103 but it has all barrier-strip type connections. If you where going for something in a permanent rack with a connection panel on the back side of the rack this would be the thing. This sort of rig would be the best way to go but you may need to hire a contractor to assemble it all for you, even if your good with a soldering iron I'd suggest having your panel made by a professional metal shop so it looks nice and will be easy to use.

MLM 103 Mic/Line Mixer
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
While the Tascam may have more connectivity, if all the OP needs is 4 stereo ins, the Rane will work great. The Rane is also built far better than the Tascam, Samson or Alesis pieces.
which rane model are you referring to? thnks
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
which rane model are you referring to? thnks
I believe he was referring to the Rane SM82S
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
the rane looks cool, but if if i have an fx processor hooked up i cant use the send for monitoring purposes as id like my keyboardist to have her own monitor mix and probably with headphones but not 100 percent about that yet. the only one i really see that has everything i need would be the samson sm10 which people do seem to like
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

There's a kbdist on musicplayer forum that uses a samson sm10, says he's very satisfied.
Old 26th October 2013
I recall owning or trialling a Kawai mixer around 1990 - probably that one from memory. It was noisy and really sucked. I ended up buying a Mackie mixer, which I thought was fantastic at the time but now I find is too noisy and sucks too much. Times have changed.

I would try to get the Rane for live use.

Something I use when I can are these passive transformer mixers (you'll need two for stereo) ...

AV-DC4 ‐ Line-Level Audio Divider/Combiner with Ground Lift

These are simple, high quality, passive transformer merge/splitter boxes. Solid and heavy. They add NO noise, and are far cleaner than most mixers. There is a little attenuation - but with most of my gear that is a blessing.

If your needs are simple, these can work exceptionally well.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I use the Alesis unit to manage a few instruments between two amps on stage but for full live sound for how you want to apply it I would also suggest something with more flexibility.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search